PDA

View Full Version : Glades....open them.

10-19-2006, 07:38 AM
They're poached every day after a storm, and at least scoped everyday after December 1st. Stop being so damn hard on yourself and the people that want one good shred of snow at your mountain Goooore. Open 'em up. Let us play, stop making it so hard for yourself and your patrollers.

Tobesssss
10-19-2006, 07:44 AM
Iv'e never actually be into the glades when they were open, since they never are. But, when I have ducked under the line and their actually was snow on the ground and not just sharp jutting roots and gravel I thought they were actually semi decent. My new philosophy is that when their "open" that means its shitty and do not enter for feer of eating a face full of dirt or dead grass. But!! when its says Do Not Enter that is when it is good as long if its about 10 minutes after the snow falls, after that point its back to shit crappy nature. SO HAVE FUN IN THEIR EVERYONE

10-19-2006, 07:46 AM
Iv'e never actually be into the glades when they were open, since they never are. But, when I have ducked under the line and their actually was snow on the ground and not just sharp jutting roots and gravel I thought they were actually semi decent. My new philosophy is that when their "open" that means its shitty and do not enter for feer of eating a face full of dirt or dead grass. But!! when its says Do Not Enter that is when it is good as long if its about 10 minutes after the snow falls, after that point its back to shit crappy nature. SO HAVE FUN IN THEIR EVERYONE

TRUTH. Close rope means snow is here! Open sign means the snow is ripped up and roots abound!

adkman656
10-19-2006, 10:02 AM
If your bitching about glades last winter, give it a rest. There was so little natural snow that opening most glades was destructive to skis/boards and lousy skiing. When the snow is deep I don't know any area around that has more in bounds official glades than Gore. The problem with just opening the woods like some areas do is that Gore doesn't naturally feed to one base area. Every year some yahoo gets lost out of bounds and the patrol at Gore ends up doing lated evening searches in the woods. A couple of years ago 2 teenagers were found at 6:30 the next morning after going too far out in the Chatemac glades and getting disoriented. They hiked out without their equipment, because they were so hypothermic they couldn't think straight. If everything naturally filtered to a base area, or even to a roadway it would make life easier for Gore's patrol. Gore has 13 or 14 named glades and the locals ski another dozen or more. The problem Gore has isn't so much with the locals, as they know there way around the mountain, its with the visitors that follow tracks out of bounds and are no where to be found the rest of the day...tough problem to manage...

Son of Drifter
10-19-2006, 10:23 AM

TRUTH. Close rope means snow is here! Open sign means the snow is ripped up and roots abound!

Just don't bitch when the patrol pulls your ticket for ducking the rope. Don't to the crime if you can't do the time. :twisted:

highpeaksdrifter
10-19-2006, 10:57 AM
If your bitching about glades last winter, give it a rest. There was so little natural snow that opening most glades was destructive to skis/boards and lousy skiing. When the snow is deep I don't know any area around that has more in bounds official glades than Gore. The problem with just opening the woods like some areas do is that Gore doesn't naturally feed to one base area. Every year some yahoo gets lost out of bounds and the patrol at Gore ends up doing lated evening searches in the woods. A couple of years ago 2 teenagers were found at 6:30 the next morning after going too far out in the Chatemac glades and getting disoriented. They hiked out without their equipment, because they were so hypothermic they couldn't think straight. If everything naturally filtered to a base area, or even to a roadway it would make life easier for Gore's patrol. Gore has 13 or 14 named glades and the locals ski another dozen or more. The problem Gore has isn't so much with the locals, as they know there way around the mountain, its with the visitors that follow tracks out of bounds and are no where to be found the rest of the day...tough problem to manage...

Good post, well thought out and right on target,

10-19-2006, 12:33 PM
To let you know, I got injured out at Hood towards the end of December and only got 7 days in at Gore last December. Out for the rest of the season...so this isn't so much about last season, it's about Gore's Open/Close policy in general. The ropes are up way more often than not.

As for the comments about visitors and yahoos, the thing is, Gore, in the big scheme of things, isn't some insane freeride open terrain mountain. East coast alone, look at Jay Peak and Stowe, MRG, all of them, lots and lots of tree and "OB" skiing, and they manage the "lost skier problem". Yes it's tough to manage but with the right policies and disclaimers, the deal gets put in the hands of the skiers, and not the mountain. Then you can look out west and see all of their OB policies, it is mangable with the right ideas.

They've got off the fence and made a stand on the tree skiing policy.

*edit for spelling error*

Son of Drifter
10-19-2006, 03:31 PM
To let you know, I got injured out at Hood towards the end of December and only got 7 days in at Gore last December. Out for the rest of the season...so this isn't so much about last season, it's about Gore's Open/Close policy in general. The ropes are up way more often than not.

As for the comments about visitors and yahoos, the thing is, Gore, in the big scheme of things, isn't some insane freeride open terrain mountain. East coast alone, look at Jay Peak and Stowe, MRG, all of them, lots and lots of tree and "OB" skiing, and they manage the "lost skier problem". Yes it's tough to manage but with the right policies and disclaimers, the deal gets put in the hands of the skiers, and not the mountain. Then you can look out west and see all of their OB policies, it is mangable with the right ideas.

They've got off the fence and made a stand on the tree skiing policy.

*edit for spelling error*

One thing you forget is unlike all those areas you mention Gore is STATE owned. :twisted: Liability is always on their minds and they sooner error on the side of being over cautious whereas those private and/or corporate owned areas are willing to take a bit of a risk to bring in the bodies. :twisted:

10-19-2006, 04:30 PM
One thing you forget is unlike all those areas you mention Gore is STATE owned. :twisted: Liability is always on their minds and they sooner error on the side of being over cautious whereas those private and/or corporate owned areas are willing to take a bit of a risk to bring in the bodies. :twisted:

So are you agreeing with me that they should open them up more and hate the liability? Or think they're making the right call?

Tobesssss
10-19-2006, 06:44 PM
I don't really see what the whole issue with some "yahoo" being stranded cause they went off into the vast backcountry of Gore Mountain has to do with anything. That doesn't change the fact that when the glades are closed there is snow in there and when their open even right when they open up that day there is less snow then when they're closed.

highpeaksdrifter
10-19-2006, 06:57 PM
That doesn't change the fact that when the glades are closed there is snow in there and when their open even right when they open up that day there is less snow then when they're closed.

So they close them when there is alot of snow and open them when there is less snow and that's a fact. Where are you gettin your facts from?

10-19-2006, 07:12 PM
That doesn't change the fact that when the glades are closed there is snow in there and when their open even right when they open up that day there is less snow then when they're closed.

So they close them when there is alot of snow and open them when there is less snow and that's a fact. Where are you gettin your facts from?

Just a guess, but from skiing there. They get tracked out super quick and then the snowpack is supppper low. Close rope = two or three tracks and more snow to ski on(any time after late December).

Tobesssss
10-19-2006, 07:50 PM
Ooh so were playing mind games now. For your little interenet pleasure I'll retract the word fact. mmmk pumkin, you better now.

Lbtchnlgs
10-19-2006, 07:54 PM
i usually stay out of the marked glades becasue yeah they get tracked out so quick. the only ones that stay decent if you can get over far enough are chatemac.

As for getting your ticket clipped- im ready to risk it, whats better than pow lines?

highpeaksdrifter
10-20-2006, 04:54 AM
Ooh so were playing mind games now. For your little interenet pleasure I'll retract the word fact. mmmk pumkin, you better now.

Sorry, didn’t realize you where so sensitive.

Back on topic, help me understand your logic. Why would Gore close their glades when there is a lot of snow in them and only open them when there is not? What purpose would that serve?

Son of Drifter
10-20-2006, 07:54 AM

So are you agreeing with me that they should open them up more and hate the liability? Or think they're making the right call?

Yes. :twisted:

Tobesssss
10-20-2006, 08:50 AM
I never said they close them because their is too much snow or open them because there isn't any. If you want to ski them with snow, you go when their closed, If their open you have no chance of skiing anything except dirt rocks

alexcaraco
10-20-2006, 10:02 PM

Sorry, didn’t realize you where so sensitive.

Back on topic, help me understand your logic. Why would Gore close their glades when there is a lot of snow in them and only open them when there is not? What purpose would that serve?

thats kind of exactly what were getting at here. good job.

10-21-2006, 11:03 PM
It's not a matter of OPEN = less snow CLOSED = more snow...it's a matter of CLOSED = More untracked snow OPEN = Super quickly tracked out stamped out snow(seemingly less).

mattchuck2
10-23-2006, 02:41 PM
Yeah, there are still stashes all over the mountain if you know where to look . . .

And really, the only ones that get super tracked out are the obvious ones - Pine Brook glades (which you basically step right into when you get off the Gondola) and Straightbrook Glades (which you can see from the lift). Twister Glades get tracked out after about a day, but there is so much space there, you can usually find good lines a couple hours into a powder day. And you can find even more if you hike up to Burnt Ridge - plus some 5-10 foot cliffs for you hooligans (this is on the trail map, so I'm not giving away anything). Plus there are the Glades nobody ever thinks of - Twister Glades, Otter Slide Glades and High Pines. If there's a good base and a decent powder day, you should have no trouble getting fresh tracks all day.

Just don't show up on Saturday after a Wednesday storm and expect to get freshies.