PDA

View Full Version : Planning trip late Dec good idea?

Rossi B1's
10-19-2006, 11:52 PM
A buddy and I are planning on comeing out east for are winter break to try a little taste of somthing besides michigan. What might possible conditions be or usual conditions to expect that time of year out there.

highpeaksdrifter
10-20-2006, 04:57 AM
A buddy and I are planning on comeing out east for are winter break to try a little taste of somthing besides michigan. What might possible conditions be or usual conditions to expect that time of year out there.

WF should be in real go shape. Last year Xmas week the skiing was very good. Good shot the whole mountain will be open minus the Slides.

Skibum4Life
10-20-2006, 07:56 AM
Actually Drifter,

We did have rain one day...( I remember because I had family up) This sort of thing is a freak occurance though and I wouldnt worry though.

highpeaksdrifter
10-20-2006, 08:04 AM
Actually Drifter,

We did have rain one day...( I remember because I had family up) This sort of thing is a freak occurance though and I wouldnt worry though.

I remember, I was there most of that week. While I'm not a big fan of skiing in the rain, I did and the snow was still pretty good.

After last season I decided to buy some decent rain gear. If we have a repeat season I'll be ready.

kerovick
10-20-2006, 08:07 AM
I'll be up there December 9th-16th. It would be awesome to have the whole mountain open then. Any chance?

KERO

stellarview
10-20-2006, 08:45 AM
The week just prior to Christmas has been the best untill mid-jan for the past 6 yrs,there has also been a trend to a slight thaw during Chistmas week prior to the hard freeze which usually takes place around MLK weekend

Phineas
10-20-2006, 09:27 AM
I'll be up there December 9th-16th. It would be awesome to have the whole mountain open then. Any chance?

KERO

best time for Alberta clippers though.. Love early Dec. often we get clippers that pile up unexpectedly. in places where the wind blows it, it can be over the kness and super dry!!

fingersX for upper mtn trails that early

ajl50
10-20-2006, 09:45 AM
last season xmas week was great- that rain day gave me a chance to use the empty day on my 6/7 day pass and find some awesome harpers weekly newspaper images circa 1850 from the old book shop on mainstreet.
The snow the whole week was great and almost everything was open.
Plus you can't go wrong with lake placid at that time of year- it's just stunning and storybook.

highpeaksdrifter
10-20-2006, 11:04 AM
last season xmas week was great- that rain day gave me a chance to use the empty day on my 6/7 day pass and find some awesome harpers weekly newspaper images circa 1850 from the old book shop on mainstreet.
Plus you can't go wrong with lake placid at that time of year- it's just stunning and storybook.

I like your attitude.

Phineas
10-20-2006, 12:33 PM

I like your attitude.

we've decided that WE dont like yours HPD!!!

Rossi B1's
10-20-2006, 12:45 PM
so all in all not a bad time to head out?

Phineas
10-20-2006, 01:20 PM
so all in all not a bad time to head out?

good time to head up - manage your expectations and hope that MoNat shows us favor!

jackstraw
10-20-2006, 02:00 PM
u guys are high!

dude, i hope you have some snow to slide on in early Dec, but its not going to be great unless they receive some epic dumps. it'll be manmade ice groomed out to a buff finish. hit it early in the morning.

your best bet is to head west from michigan. if you have to head east go to Jay, that is your best bet for the goods eastside.

Son of Drifter
10-20-2006, 02:04 PM
u guys are high!

dude, i hope you have some snow to slide on in early Dec, but its not going to be great unless they receive some epic dumps. it'll be manmade ice groomed out to a buff finish. hit it early in the morning.

your best bet is to head west from michigan. if you have to head east go to Jay, that is your best bet for the goods eastside.

Get F'd Jack. Don't listen to that bitter a$$. Head to the Face you won't be disappointed. :twisted:

ajl50
10-20-2006, 02:37 PM
'dude, i hope you have some snow to slide on in early Dec, but its not going to be great unless they receive some epic dumps. it'll be manmade ice groomed out to a buff finish. hit it early in the morning. '

not the case at all- epic dumps? Whatever- I would not consider last seasons epic by any standards but I was sliding on good snow the entire week. There were very few hard patches at all and the temps were fairly moderate. In fact when I was up there the first weekend in march it was 6 degrees with the top closed off cause of wind so I wouldn't say march is per se better.
Perhaps mr. Straw fells it is ice groomed to a buff finish because he A) doesn't use the little metal things attached to the sides of the skis (A.K.A. -edges), or B) he's are just too tired from 3400 feet of vert to be able to hold an edge on some packed snow.
Regardless- don't listen- december is a great time- Nobody I know who has every been to lake placid at that time of year has not loved it.

freeheelwilly
10-20-2006, 02:44 PM
Perhaps mr. Straw fells it is ice groomed to a buff finish because he A) doesn't use the little metal things attached to the sides of the skis (A.K.A. -edges), or B) he's are just too tired from 3400 feet of vert to be able to hold an edge on some packed snow.
Regardless- don't listen- december is a great time- Nobody I know who has every been to lake placid at that time of year has not loved it.

take that Jackie - booooy! You're just jealous 'cus Loon and Bretton Woods kick your ass and you could never deal with a real mountain like the Face!

Let me save you the time responding

Oh shut up slide-slippin' willy! you are a poser!

:lol: :lol:

Tsavolion
10-20-2006, 03:01 PM

take that Jackie - booooy! You're just jealous 'cus Loon and Bretton Woods kick your ass and you could never deal with a real mountain like the Face!

Oh shut up slide-slippin' willy! you are a poser!

:lol: :lol:

hahaha - thats funny but i am beginning to worry about your frequent use of the smilies...you REALLY like them. I am afraid you may forgot how to properly express the real true willy

jackstraw
10-20-2006, 03:14 PM

i can't respond to that. he has me pegged. thank god for the aka 'cause i was startin to wonder.