PDA

View Full Version : What's up with "Ruby Run"

adksara
10-21-2006, 06:22 PM
Seriously??? I'm thinking of heading up to hike the Shaf. trail and see where the heck that goes and dumps out... if it is where I think it is through those woods - GRUMBLE :? Those guys I saw heading out of that area last year with their clippers are losing their woods.

What is Gore thinking? Those skiers are going to get dumped out on the flat of Cloud and have to hoof it to the Saddle Lodge - wonderful plan for those newbies... sigh...

Anybody go up there to see what it looks like?

-adkSara

alexcaraco
10-21-2006, 06:30 PM
yep thats exactly the problem. i havent been up there, but thatll be the complaint.

10-21-2006, 11:05 PM
If all goes accordingly there is some "re-sloping" and grading done to that area....

mattchuck2
10-23-2006, 02:28 PM
Yeah, Apparently, they are blasting the hell out of the place right now. Construction was delayed for some environmental study, but the whole thing is supposed to have a grade approximately equal to the grade of the saddle lodge to wild air area. I reamin skeptical, and I'll believe it when I see it.

mikebike
11-05-2006, 08:34 PM
Look at the bright side..... that trail may cut down on the "yard sale slolom course" on Foxlair

adkman656
11-06-2006, 08:27 PM
thats what is so typical about this board (and others like it) ...everyone is so quick to condemn this trail without even seeing it...why don't you wait and see, and here's a really wild thought, when it comes out right...what will you do????? will you actually make a positive comment, or just be quiet since you have nothing negative to say.

I wonder...did anyone bother to actually look at the topo's in the UMP and see where the trail goes and the elevations??? Maybe adksara wouldn't be automatically crapping on Gore (What is Gore thinking? Those skiers are going to get dumped out on the flat of Cloud and have to hoof it to the Saddle Lodge - wonderful plan for those newbies... sigh... ) if she did actuallycheck in to it versus listening to the normal rumbling and bs of the dullards that constantly bitch without facts...Gore has had a copy of their UMP available at the main office, at the town hall and elsewhere if you actually want to know what they are planning.

oh well opinions are like a..holes...everybody has one...i just like to be more informed about things I guess before creating a post about a non-issue
Gore certainly doesn't do everything right...far from it...but at least lets complain about existing real things and not project problems that don't exist.

mikebike
11-06-2006, 10:17 PM
rather than fuss .... read the comments .....2 positive and 2 slightly negative...

hardly a bunch of bitchin' ----that aside

what is the pitch going to be?? .... have you seen the topo projection
:?:

if we try we can play nice here....

Jack the Ripper
11-07-2006, 08:46 AM
rather than fuss .... read the comments .....2 positive and 2 slightly negative...

hardly a bunch of bitchin' ----that aside

what is the pitch going to be?? .... have you seen the topo projection
:?:

if we try we can play nice here....

Gore's flatter than a 10 year old girl. :twisted:

mikebike
11-07-2006, 12:52 PM
Ruby Run is a green trail... not suposed to be steep....

Gore has enough vert to keep me happy.... it is amazing everybody is not a Expert Double Black diamond only skier.

I can enjoy Lies Hawkeye and ocasionally if the snow is good Rumor.....but I can also enjoy a run down Sunway now & then...

and if Gore is too flat for you.... then go elsewhere and ski :shock:

adksara
11-07-2006, 07:58 PM
Sorry :( - I didn't think that I was being too unreasonable - I know the mountain very well both from skiing and hiking and was concerned as would any skier/rider who really likes their home mountian what Gore was doing to the new trail area. I know the "Plan" is available to see and have seen it. So I apologize if people were thinking that I was simply complaining - just concerned.

So... I since I was curious so I found out what it looks like - did my research so's to be about :) ...

Run will be better for beginners than the horrible bottleneck on Foxlair - Good.
Run is smoother and a better pitch for beginners than anything else on Bear Mtn. - Good.
Part of the trail faces right into the "Wind Tunnel" direction and will be scoured bare without snowfences - Bad.
General trail ending is still dumping out on flat of Cloud - For those of us who can skate ski - Good, for beginners who can't - Bad.

So... there's my critique - I'm going to let it ride, take a ski down it early before any of the other chickens are up and then go hide and play elsewhere.

Here's the pictures. Thanks to my Dad who did the scouting run, while I cleared trails elsewhere on Sunday.

http://upload4.postimage.org/1592670/RubyTopCurve.jpg (http://upload4.postimage.org/1592670/photo_hosting.html)
http://upload4.postimage.org/1592673/BottomRubyRubble.jpg (http://upload4.postimage.org/1592673/photo_hosting.html)

highpeaksdrifter
11-07-2006, 08:11 PM
Sara, nice job getting those pics. I think the new trail is a great idea for once in awhile novice skiers like my wife. She would like to take the Gondi, but that steep narrower part at the end of Foxlare is a little out of here confort zone and FairView is out of the question. Now she'll have a way down she can easily handle and will make her experience at Gore more enjoyable. Good mountain management means taking care of your whole customer base.

mikebike
11-07-2006, 09:15 PM
One thing I just thought of is it will increase the Gondola Traffic .....which mid week will not be an issue ....but on Sat/Sun.... It will increase the crowds on line there....and may casue them not to the the Adirondak Express as often now that novices have a way down

time will tell

alexcaraco
11-09-2006, 01:01 PM
One thing I just thought of is it will increase the Gondola Traffic .....which mid week will not be an issue ....but on Sat/Sun.... It will increase the crowds on line there....and may casue them not to the the Adirondak Express as often now that novices have a way down

time will tell

nah, theres no gondola prob at gore, even if ther are more people that will take it. ever seen killington?

adksara
11-09-2006, 06:16 PM
nah, theres no gondola prob at gore, even if ther are more people that will take it. ever seen killington?

Yup... it's all what you're used to... crowds at Gore are not really crowded compared to other mountains - and some mountains are sparce compared to Gore. I'll take what comes now that I've seen what it looks like and just ski.

Besides - I think I'll attempt to "free the heels" more this year so Ruby might be my safest way down :D Now that my husband has his Bobs and Bombers - I get the Atomics to attempt my faceplants. Left hand turn = gorgeous - Right hand turn = major disaster :lol:

BigAirJay
11-10-2006, 01:41 PM
Wow people are getting really heated about this. Did you really expect her to go to the town hall and dig up plans on the project to find out? Thats what the point of this forum is, to get information. At the last meeting they mentioned a steady 15° pitch with 12° on the turns, but that didn't sound right to me so I think the manager misspoke saying that. And from what I know, I haven't heard any mentioning of regrading the bottom part of cloud where it's flat, and definetly sounds like it will be a trouble spot. As far as the gondi line goes, I wouldnt worry about that at all, nobody goes to the triple anyways.

Jack the Ripper
11-10-2006, 02:31 PM
......At the last meeting they mentioned a steady 15° pitch with 12° on the turns, but that didn't sound right to me so I think the manager misspoke saying that.......As far as the gondi line goes, I wouldnt worry about that at all, nobody goes to the triple anyways.

Word.

It didn't sound right b/c they meant to say 1.5 and 1.2 degress. That's about the pitch of most runs at gore. :D Except of course Rumor, Lies, Dark Side Glades. But they seriously have to fix some flat areas. Like that one on the way to the double that drops you off at the top of Lies. I don't know the name of that trail but it needs a rope tow. :twisted:

Harvey44
11-10-2006, 02:32 PM
The triple rocks. Especially because no one uses it. And on tele gear the gondi is a pain. I only ride the gondi first thing in the am and once after lunch.

11-11-2006, 04:34 PM
Good mountain management means taking care of your whole customer base.

Like anyone under 30(and some old dudes too) wanting a respectable park...there's a chunk of customer base.

Denison
11-21-2006, 09:31 AM
Ruby Run entrance is shown on the Gore website (today's picture)