PDA

View Full Version : Skyward, Cloudsplitter gondola highlighted in SKIING mag.

Denison
10-24-2006, 05:29 PM
"Skyward, Cloudsplitter gondola and the Slides highlighted in the November issue of SKIING Magazine (east section)" says Whiteface website. Does anyone know if article exists online? I checked SKI/SKIING site skinet.com and could not find...

highpeaksdrifter
10-24-2006, 06:03 PM
"Skyward, Cloudsplitter gondola and the Slides highlighted in the November issue of SKIING Magazine (east section)" says Whiteface website. Does anyone know if article exists online? I checked SKI/SKIING site skinet.com and could not find...

I can't find it in the Nov. issue of skiing either.

Phineas
10-25-2006, 11:34 AM

its in there - sober up and look at the skiing in the east section - towards the back

NPN
10-25-2006, 01:06 PM

its in there - sober up and look at the skiing in the east section - towards the back

Apparently, not everyone who gets a subscription in the East actually gets a magazine with the "East section" inluded.

I just got my November issue today, and there's no special Eastern pages in it.

highpeaksdrifter
10-25-2006, 01:28 PM
Apparently, not everyone who gets a subscription in the East actually gets a magazine with the "East section" inluded.

Me too. That ain't right.

St. Jerry
10-25-2006, 01:51 PM
It's there in the magazine. Read it 2 nights ago.

10-25-2006, 02:40 PM

Me too, and it blows. I hear theres a shot of The Slides in there too....

fuck it i'm going to call up skiing mag right now and tell them to give me my East Section, since I did subscribe, and still reside, well...in the east.

highpeaksdrifter
10-25-2006, 03:24 PM

i'm going to call up skiing mag right now and tell them to give me my East Section, since I did subscribe, and still reside, well...in the east.

highpeaksdrifter
10-25-2006, 03:26 PM
i'm going to call up skiing mag right now and tell them to give me my East Section, since I did subscribe, and still reside, well...in the east.

If you have a contact phone # for them please post it. I want to call too.

BTW, no F bombs please.

10-25-2006, 03:42 PM
We're all mature enough here to use dirty potty mouth toilet words...com'on now?

Subscription Hotline is 1-800-825-5552
They're redirect you from there.

Phineas
10-25-2006, 03:43 PM

If you have a contact phone # for them please post it. I want to call too.

BTW, no F bombs please.

I cant find it I cant find it!!!! hahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahhahahahahahaha hahahaha

there is no special east section hahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahaha

Denison
10-25-2006, 03:47 PM
Well, I do not subscribe for SKIING, but will get one from newsstand, making sure it'as a right issue

highpeaksdrifter
10-25-2006, 04:00 PM
We're all mature enough here to use dirty potty mouth toilet words...com'on now?

Subscription Hotline is 1-800-825-5552
They're redirect you from there.

Thanks for the number.

We have a direct link from the WF web site because of this we need to keep it PG13. They don't want the image they're trying to project associated with vulgar language. They had a problem with the old RSN forum (I don't blame them) and where reluctant to give this forum a try until they where assured it would be monitored.

I myself cuss like a sailor on leave, but not in here.

10-25-2006, 05:33 PM
Understandable...this is phpBB right? You can select and blacklist a bunch of words and auto-delete...so my f-bombs looks more like F**K. It's under the Admin panels. I say that's your best bet rather than trying to monitor every poop-mouth.

NPN
10-25-2006, 06:21 PM

Here, here!!!

I'm right behind ya'.

NPN
10-25-2006, 06:27 PM
How did all those posts show up in the thirty seconds it took for me to respond to Hesus's less than board PC reply?

10-25-2006, 08:02 PM
Quite possible only newstands/ski shop copies have Eastern Scene section...only time I've ever seen it...subscription has always been East-less.

Someone scan the slides picture and article.

NPN
10-25-2006, 10:58 PM
Quite possible only newstands/ski shop copies have Eastern Scene section...only time I've ever seen it...subscription has always been East-less.

If anyone cares to take the time, I called Skiing earlier tonight, and they were happy ( so they said ) to send me a copy of the version with the Whiteface info, and update my subscription to include the Eastern suppliments for future issues.

freeheelwilly
10-26-2006, 05:31 AM
NPN:

go to your profile and check "yes" for the option "always allow bb code". I don't know how or why it's turned off for you (it's on by default - you had to have turned it off) but it makes your stuff hard to read. Dang.

Son of Drifter
10-26-2006, 07:57 AM

So the suckers like us who give them the regular business they so desire get screwed out of special sections? I know I'm not renewing. :twisted:

freeheelwilly
10-26-2006, 08:10 AM

So the suckers like us who give them the regular business they so desire get screwed out of special sections? I know I'm not renewing. :twisted:

Why do you get that rag anyway? Don't you think it sucks? Powder, Backcountry or Coulior are a lot better. Pretty good and interesting writing and good gear reviews. Ski/Skiing not so good. (Not to be confused with Skier which isn't so bad.) I dunno. YMMV.

Son of Drifter
10-26-2006, 08:58 AM
[/quote] Why do you get that rag anyway? Don't you think it sucks? Powder, Backcountry or Coulior are a lot better. Pretty good and interesting writing and good gear reviews. Ski/Skiing not so good. (Not to be confused with Skier which isn't so bad.) I dunno. YMMV.[/quote]

I do now. I get them for the gear reviews. From now on I'll pay the newstand price for those once a year and be done with it. :twisted:

Phineas
10-26-2006, 09:14 AM
Why do you get that rag anyway? Don't you think it sucks? Powder, Backcountry or Coulior are a lot better. Pretty good and interesting writing and good gear reviews. Ski/Skiing not so good. (Not to be confused with Skier which isn't so bad.) I dunno. YMMV.[/quote]

I do now. I get them for the gear reviews. From now on I'll pay the newstand price for those once a year and be done with it. :twisted:[/quote]

are based on advertising money!! hhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha sucker!

tjf67
10-26-2006, 09:30 AM
Why do you get that rag anyway? Don't you think it sucks? Powder, Backcountry or Coulior are a lot better. Pretty good and interesting writing and good gear reviews. Ski/Skiing not so good. (Not to be confused with Skier which isn't so bad.) I dunno. YMMV.

I do now. I get them for the gear reviews. From now on I'll pay the newstand price for those once a year and be done with it. :twisted:[/quote]

are based on advertising money!! hhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha sucker![/quote]

Funny last year the Nordica took the number one ski. The year before it was the atomic. This year it is the volkie. Its got validity to it. Stop being so negative. Just because stokli does not rate does not mean it all marketing money

jackstraw
10-26-2006, 09:47 AM
Funny last year the Nordica took the number one ski. The year before it was the atomic. This year it is the volkie. Its got validity to it. Stop being so negative. Just because stokli does not rate does not mean it all marketing money

it's based on the testers and tweeked by the mag and writers imo. i think they're smart and try to mix it up among their biggest advertisers. you will never see stockli top rated 'cause they don't advertise...although, they should be top rated. it is mostly bs imo.

even freeskier this month rated vail or aspen (i always mix up those two posh hills) the # 1 hill and JH second. that is just comedy!!

Phineas
10-26-2006, 10:25 AM

it's based on the testers and tweeked by the mag and writers imo. i think they're smart and try to mix it up among their biggest advertisers. you will never see stockli top rated 'cause they don't advertise...although, they should be top rated. it is mostly bs imo.

even freeskier this month rated vail or aspen (i always mix up those two posh hills) the # 1 hill and JH second. that is just comedy!!

loved that hill! HostelX is best deal I ever got hooked w/!!!

tjf67
10-26-2006, 10:32 AM

If they have that many testers there has to be some validity to it. It certainly narrows down a bunch of skiis to a few with a little reading. The tendencies of the skiis are correct. You can find the style you are looking for then try it out. I was looking for something with a softer rebound so I can fart around but when I jump on them they perform. It took me to the K-2 that I ride. Love the ski. For what its worth I find it a good guide.

Son of Drifter
10-26-2006, 10:50 AM
[/quote] I do now. I get them for the gear reviews. From now on I'll pay the newstand price for those once a year and be done with it. :twisted:[/quote]

are based on advertising money!! hhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha sucker![/quote]

Funny last year the Nordica took the number one ski. The year before it was the atomic. This year it is the volkie. Its got validity to it. Stop being so negative. Just because stokli does not rate does not mean it all marketing money[/quote]

They mention Stockli skis in there. I use it to get an idea of what I should demo. The marketing worked on you last year cause you bought Nordica's albeit the wrong ones. You should paid more attention to the top sheet of the skis before you pay retail. SUCKER. :twisted: :twisted:

Phineas
10-26-2006, 11:05 AM

Funny last year the Nordica took the number one ski. The year before it was the atomic. This year it is the volkie. Its got validity to it. Stop being so negative. Just because stokli does not rate does not mean it all marketing money[/quote]

They mention Stockli skis in there. I use it to get an idea of what I should demo. The marketing worked on you last year cause you bought Nordica's albeit the wrong ones. You should paid more attention to the top sheet of the skis before you pay retail. SUCKER. :twisted: :twisted:[/quote]

I skiied on Nordica back in the 99-00 season - on a cool blue stick called Nordica Wave - way be4 daddy was a rep - Mets Fans!

highpeaksdrifter
10-26-2006, 11:05 AM
They mention Stockli skis in there. I use it to get an idea of what I should demo. The marketing worked on you last year cause you bought Nordica's albeit the wrong ones. You should paid more attention to the top sheet of the skis before you pay retail. SUCKER. :twisted: :twisted:

He thought he was buying Top Fuels, but grabbed Eliminators instead. :lol: :lol:

slayer
10-26-2006, 12:21 PM
For those that have the Whiteface article, what page of the magazine is it on?

I subscribe to Skiing but don't have an East section, and haven't this year. I've had it in years' past and is probably the best part of the magazine.

I called the mag's customer service this morning and they said I was "flagged" as getting the East section (done by zip code), but couldn't explain why I didn't get it. Oh well.

Son of Drifter
10-26-2006, 12:29 PM
:twisted: :twisted:[/quote] I skiied on Nordica back in the 99-00 season - on a cool blue stick called Nordica Wave - way be4 daddy was a rep - Mets Fans![/quote]

1st if you ever call ME a mets fan again, we be beefin' :evil: :twisted:

2nd Don't get all mad at me because you can't read. Blame the school system. hahahahahaha :twisted:

3nd blue color, wave name, you sure you bought the right ski? That sounds like a chix ski. Did you have the matching blue boots as well? hahahaha :twisted: :twisted:

Son of Drifter
10-26-2006, 12:32 PM

He thought he was buying Top Fuels, but grabbed Eliminators instead. :lol: :lol:

Not be able to read is no laughing matter. :twisted:

Tsavolion
10-26-2006, 01:35 PM
Well, I do not subscribe for SKIING, but will get one from newsstand, making sure it'as a right issue

apparently the east coast section is not on the newsstands, you will only get it if you subsribe to it.

Son of Drifter
10-26-2006, 03:06 PM

apparently the east coast section is not on the newsstands, you will only get it if you subsribe to it.

It's not in my issue I got in the mail. F skiing mag.

NPN
10-26-2006, 04:45 PM

It's not in my issue I got in the mail. F skiing mag.

Just in case you missed it earlier in the thread, I called Skiing's customer service last night, and they said they would be happy to send me a copy of the East coast version for November.

p.s.- FHW, thanks for the tip, I was wondering how to do that!

Denison
10-26-2006, 08:16 PM
I stopped by the magazine rack tonight and checked November's SKIING. East section is at the end, did not seem to be worth buying the magazine. I get SKI courtesy of Whiteface and I think it's better than SKIING. Anyway ther are "best 5" lists for Steeps, Gondolas, etc. featuring Skyward and Cloudsplitter on 5th place. There is also a full page guide for The Slides, which is interesting but no match the skiers reports on this forum.

ajl50
11-08-2006, 03:26 PM
anybody get this thing scanned yet?
Come on now...waste office resources for me here.

pigfarmer
11-09-2006, 03:47 PM
Howdy all,

I'm the eastern editor at SKIING... Sandy C alerted me to the case of the missing east section.

to figure this out, we need anyone with suspect copies to fax their cover to James Flynn 212-779-5006. He can check this thing called the inkjet box, which will confirm what you already know and set the corporate wheels in motion. Even if you'd really rather be reading SKI (com'on, I know that was joke. Right?), would you do this for me? It's really important that ya'll get what you're supposed to be getting, both for us and for our advertisers who support the section.

Also, this is your chance to offer direct feedback on the section and magazine in general. I live over in VT, try to keep my ear to the ground, but definitely miss stuff. Fill me in, please.

Thanks,
Ben Hewitt

Greg
11-09-2006, 03:49 PM
Howdy all,

I'm the eastern editor at SKIING... Sandy C alerted me to the case of the missing east section.

to figure this out, we need anyone with suspect copies to fax their cover to James Flynn 212-779-5006. He can check this thing called the inkjet box, which will confirm what you already know and set the corporate wheels in motion. Even if you'd really rather be reading SKI (com'on, I know that was joke. Right?), would you do this for me? It's really important that ya'll get what you're supposed to be getting, both for us and for our advertisers who support the section.

Also, this is your chance to offer direct feedback on the section and magazine in general. I live over in VT, try to keep my ear to the ground, but definitely miss stuff. Fill me in, please.

Thanks,
Ben Hewitt
Thanks Ben. I believe Bridget at Whiteface asked if a PDF version of the article could be available in the mean time. I can host one somewhere if you want.

Greg
11-09-2006, 04:03 PM
That was quick:

http://skiadk.com/WFSlides.pdf

ajl50
11-09-2006, 04:22 PM
and people had problems with greg and this forum.
Word.
Nicely done.
Can you get them to open the summit for sure after xmas?
that would be nice too.

campgottagopee
11-09-2006, 04:56 PM
Props to Greg for getting that posted, thanks.

Greg
11-09-2006, 07:36 PM
No props needed. I only became aware of this situation because someone at ORDA saw this thread (further indicating they actively read this board) and pursued it with SKIING. I just helped pigfarmer get online and hosted the PDF. No big deal...

kerovick
11-09-2006, 08:34 PM
None the less I appreciate it
Kero

campgottagopee
11-10-2006, 07:38 AM
None the less I appreciate it
Kero

Hey Greg,
DITTO

highpeaksdrifter
11-10-2006, 07:45 AM
I don't personally know anyone who has skied Slide 6. Anyone here ski it or know of anyone that has?

kerovick
11-10-2006, 10:08 AM
To be honest with ya guys, those things scare me!!

Kero

Jack the Ripper
11-10-2006, 11:59 AM
To be honest with ya guys, those things scare me!!

Kero

Mind over matter. If you can ski empire and the cloudsplitter glades, you can handle the slides. They don't open them unless there is a TON of snow in there. All that snow prevents you from really flying (unless you straightline) and makes for a soft landing when you fall.

kerovick
11-10-2006, 12:02 PM
Well, hopefully The cloudsplitter glades and/or empire will be open mid next month when I'm up there.

Kero

highpeaksdrifter
11-10-2006, 12:45 PM
Well, hopefully The cloudsplitter glades and/or empire will be open mid next month when I'm up there.

Kero

That's alot to hope for mid-Dec.

kerovick
11-10-2006, 01:24 PM
Ok, how bout this.... I hope that there is a black run open next month.

highpeaksdrifter
11-10-2006, 02:27 PM
Ok, how bout this.... I hope that there is a black run open next month.

That's a safe bet.

AdironRider
11-10-2006, 03:24 PM
mt run will be open for sure. That seems to be the second trail they open up after excelsior every year.

oldskibum
11-10-2006, 03:27 PM
HPD, I think Jeff Staves has skiied slide 6 several years ago (maybe 5or 6 yrs). There aren't many places that he hasn't been up there.

ajl50
11-10-2006, 04:28 PM
I'm sure that mt. Run and prob. wilderness will be open very quickly.