PDA

View Full Version : Storm this weekend

ajl50
10-26-2006, 09:44 AM
Looks like a strong nor'easter brewing for the weekend. Forecasts are a little mixed about timing and therefore what type of precipitation the 'dacks will get. Generally NOAA says it will be mixed during the day and snow at night. Not quite the reproduction of the Wilma fueled dump last year but this storm will be carrying tropical moisture from paul (just past baja mex. right now) so there will be lots of energy. Should be interesting.

What are you all hearing up there?

jackstraw
10-26-2006, 09:52 AM
aj- sharpen those edges, jump in that suv and on to the garden st parkway and head on up...you'll be rippin' before ya know it!

ajl50
10-26-2006, 10:03 AM
I wish. I'm not going to get up there till winter break. (Lame) But at least i get 10 days once up there.

Phineas
10-26-2006, 10:34 AM
Looks like a strong nor'easter brewing for the weekend. Forecasts are a little mixed about timing and therefore what type of precipitation the 'dacks will get. Generally NOAA says it will be mixed during the day and snow at night. Not quite the reproduction of the Wilma fueled dump last year but this storm will be carrying tropical moisture from paul (just past baja mex. right now) so there will be lots of energy. Should be interesting.

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/showsigwx.php?warnzone=NYZ034&warncounty=NYC031&local_place1=Upper+Jay&product1=Hazardous+Weather+Outlook

snow was a low as 1200 feet this morning..... been snowing on and off all week!!

high pressure is mounting from the NW - if it gets here be4 the Low then we could see rain turning to snow w/ some accumlation in the higher L

ask TJF to check his charts though - he's the expert :x :x

tjf67
10-26-2006, 10:54 AM
[quote=ajl50]Looks like a strong nor'easter brewing for the weekend. Forecasts are a little mixed about timing and therefore what type of precipitation the 'dacks will get. Generally NOAA says it will be mixed during the day and snow at night. Not quite the reproduction of the Wilma fueled dump last year but this storm will be carrying tropical moisture from paul (just past baja mex. right now) so there will be lots of energy. Should be interesting.

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/showsigwx.php?warnzone=NYZ034&warncounty=NYC031&local_place1=Upper+Jay&product1=Hazardous+Weather+Outlook

snow was a low as 1200 feet this morning..... been snowing on and off all week!!

high pressure is mounting from the NW - if it gets here be4 the Low then we could see rain turning to snow w/ some accumlation in the higher L

ask TJF to check his charts though - he's the expert :x :x[/quote

K I just checked it out. To close to call I will wake up On Sat and look out the window. Its one of those clippers that hit us this time of the year haha. Legend in his own mind

Tsavolion
10-26-2006, 01:37 PM
it depends how cold it gets. precip all weekend. i think i am going to win the first 6 inch snowfall..i said Oct 31...i win, i win!

jackstraw
10-26-2006, 02:12 PM
it depends how cold it gets. precip all weekend. i think i am going to win the first 6 inch snowfall..i said Oct 31...i win, i win!

six inches is much much taller than you have been lead to believe tsavolion.

Phineas
10-26-2006, 03:41 PM

six inches is much much taller than you have been lead to believe tsavolion.

NOT :x :x

10-26-2006, 05:25 PM
NOAA rules my life anytime after the second week of October.

ajl50
10-27-2006, 08:18 AM
yea I pretty much agree. I check NOAA more than I check any other website. However I tend to think that their climate prediction center's long range forecasts are just government ploys to manage the economy through controlling the heating oil futures market. While I haven't worked out the details I'm sure Jim "I yell when I type by using ALL CAPS" Roemer would help me figure it out.

10-27-2006, 04:33 PM
If I'm getting policied about potty mouth I'm going to police over political talk!

ajl50
10-28-2006, 02:15 PM
How strong are the winds up there right now?
I remember beeing jolted awake by the derecho that rolled through the adirondacks in 1995. I read reports that those gusts were in the 60mph range. This weekend they are forecasting similar gusts. How are the trees holding up?

wondertrev
10-28-2006, 03:16 PM
yea I pretty much agree. I check NOAA more than I check any other website. However I tend to think that their climate prediction center's long range forecasts are just government ploys to manage the economy through controlling the heating oil futures market. While I haven't worked out the details I'm sure Jim "I yell when I type by using ALL CAPS" Roemer would help me figure it out.

Someones been spending too much time listening to Air America....

ajl50
10-28-2006, 03:24 PM
Ha- yea right...
No I'm just convinced long range weather forecasts are totally crap. If they can't get two days in the future correct how can they get 2 months?

Denison
10-28-2006, 09:54 PM
Climate Predisction Center short (6-10 days) forecast looks promising for snowmaking:
http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/610day/610temp.new.gif