PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone tell me where this lift used to be?

NPN
10-27-2006, 07:19 PM
http://www.chairlift.org/pics/wf/wf7.jpg

I found this picture in a chair lift archive. Is it an old lift 6, or somewhere on Little Whiteface?

skigolfhunt
10-27-2006, 09:15 PM
Old Lift G to little Whiteface Summit

Denison
10-28-2006, 09:59 PM
Can someone tell more about these chairlift numbers? I heard them before, like chair #6, etc, but unable to make connection to the actual lift. I've been skiing Whiteface only since 2002 and call them by like "Summit Quad", "Face Lift", etc.

NPN
10-28-2006, 11:26 PM
Can someone tell more about these chairlift numbers? I heard them before, like chair #6, etc, but unable to make connection to the actual lift. I've been skiing Whiteface only since 2002 and call them by like "Summit Quad", "Face Lift", etc.

My contribution will be: Chair 6 is now known as the Summit Quad ( which some of us wish was known as the Summit De-tachable, Ultra High Speed Quad, or Summit Tram ( departing directly from the Cloudspin Lounge, w/complimentary cocktails for all classes of service )), but, in the meantime, I'll dare to dream of a lift "whatever, departing from where ever, servicing a fully functioning expantion into the Slides (complete with a snowmaking system second only to the most qualified Snow Gods )".

Now back to the "Sixth Sense" ( just to keep a little syncronicity here ).

Have a nice day, and enjoy that extra hour of whatever.

10-29-2006, 05:16 PM
I just picked up one of these chairs, chair #2 to be exact from the guy who removed this lift from the mountain. Great find. Can't wait to convert it into a swing.

NPN
10-29-2006, 05:40 PM
I just picked up one of these chairs, chair #2 to be exact from the guy who removed this lift from the mountain. Great find. Can't wait to convert it into a swing.

Very nice, those chairs, and that pic are true classics.

Faceplant
03-23-2007, 02:24 PM
I'm not sure when they switched from #'s to letters but the locals still refer to the summit quad as chair 6 and some of the newer locals refer to letters. The letter system never really got fully implemented. I don't think they ever got the letters on a trail map and the letters on the lift building weren't very large. The worst part was that it was confusing for the ski patrol radio. With any static, BCDE& G all sounded too similar. Then they went to names.
Summit Quad was #6, Little Whiteface and Mt Run were 2a and 2b. Freeway/racing chair was 7. I think the bunny chair was #1 and the bear chair #2, # 3 was what is now the Face lift. I forget what 4 and 5 were but one of them was in easy acres.

Denison
03-23-2007, 04:29 PM
I did not know they've switched to letters, I think it's all names now...

Wa
03-23-2007, 05:25 PM

How can I get one of these?

snowman
03-24-2007, 12:53 PM
Yeah, I would like to get a hold of one, also!

century
03-24-2007, 02:51 PM
It is old lift #2 to the Top of Little Whiteface :D

asland
03-26-2007, 12:57 PM
I used to ski at whiteface when they had similiar chairs on the summit lift (chair 6). When I was little - grade 6 or so, taking that chair to the top was a trip. There are some pretty high points. I remember cramming in towards that center pole trying not to slip out of the open sides.

asland

freeheelwilly
03-27-2007, 02:36 PM
I used to ski at whiteface when they had similiar chairs on the summit lift (chair 6). When I was little - grade 6 or so, taking that chair to the top was a trip. There are some pretty high points. I remember cramming in towards that center pole trying not to slip out of the open sides.

asland

Really? Chair 6? Didn't they put 6 in for the 1980 Olympics? That chair looks pretty old for that.

oldskibum
03-27-2007, 02:51 PM
On the 89-90 trail map, chairs were lettered as follows:
A - mixing bowl
B - bear
C - bunny hutch
D - mid-station shuttle
E - valley triple
F - summit triple
G - little whiteface
H - mountain run
I - freeway
There were 37 named trails. on the 90-91 trail map there were 67 trails! When they were numbered I think they were:
1. mixing bowl
2. bear
3. mid-station shuttle
4. valley triple
5. bunny hutch
6. summit triple
7. freeway
8. mountain run
9. little whiteface

Not positive about the numbers, but got the letters directly from an old trail map.

Skier 4 Life
03-27-2007, 05:40 PM
When they were numbered I think they were:
1. mixing bowl
2. bear
3. mid-station shuttle
4. valley triple
5. bunny hutch
6. summit triple
7. freeway
8. mountain run
9. little whiteface

Not positive about the numbers, but got the letters directly from an old trail map.

I believe the letters OSB gave us are right, but the numbers (I think) were:
1a. mid-station shuttle
1b. valley triple
2a. mountain run
2b. little whiteface
3. mixing bowl
4. bear
5. bunny hutch
6. summit triple
7. freeway

Any other guesses? I know that the lifts were given numbers before they were changed to letters. And I believe these numbers were created in order of when each lift was originally put into service. I know the last lift (before the Gondi) that was originally put into service was Chair 7 (aka Lift I or Freeway Lift) in '78-'79, just before the pre-Olympic competitions.

asland
03-27-2007, 07:44 PM

asland

Really? Chair 6? Didn't they put 6 in for the 1980 Olympics? That chair looks pretty old for that.

I think you are correct that they updated chair 6 for the olympics. Before then it was pretty rickity. I'm not sure if it was old as the one in the pic but it was of similiar design.

asland