PDA

View Full Version : ????????

tjf67
10-31-2006, 01:11 PM
What is the speepist pitch on whiteface and where is it?

freeheelwilly
10-31-2006, 01:20 PM
outside of the slides - niagara (just a guess). this question needs some parameters like minimum length. Otherwise the backside of some manmade roller, like we get on mountain run or lower cloudspin might be the "steepest pitch" - but they're 13 feet long.

tjf67
10-31-2006, 01:21 PM
I dont know the percentages but I would say when you go into ravens haven from the top and stay skiers right you get to a pitch after about 70 yeard. Its down a rock face that has a ton of moss on it that grabs the snow and makes it stick to it. Oh thats a fun shot. Its got a lot of pucker factor to it

ajl50
10-31-2006, 01:46 PM
ok....
A) where and what is raven's haven on whiteface
b) Which part of cloudspin is Niagra. I've heard that it is the lower pitch before the runout above connector and I've heard it is the very top of the trail.
Also check out what sandy caligiore said in 2004 were the steepest ( average pitch) trails on the mountain
"In order, here are the average pitches along the entire length of the trails: Niagara (Upper Cloudspin) 33 degrees; Slides 31 degrees; Upper Skyward and Wilderness 27; Upper MacKenzie 23; Upper Cloudspin 21; Empire 18. There are sections of these runs, of course, that are steeper than the average." ( from alpine zone ski area chall.)

highpeaksdrifter
10-31-2006, 01:56 PM
ok....
A) where and what is raven's haven on whiteface
b) Which part of cloudspin is Niagra. I've heard that it is the lower pitch before the runout above connector and I've heard it is the very top of the trail.
Also check out what sandy caligiore said in 2004 were the steepest ( average pitch) trails on the mountain
"In order, here are the average pitches along the entire length of the trails: Niagara (Upper Cloudspin) 33 degrees; Slides 31 degrees; Upper Skyward and Wilderness 27; Upper MacKenzie 23; Upper Cloudspin 21; Empire 18. There are sections of these runs, of course, that are steeper than the average." ( from alpine zone ski area chall.)

A) Part of Cloudsplitter Glades. If you go in from Upper Northway it's a long traverse skier's right.
B) When you come out from Connectoer and look up to your left that is Niagara.
Empire's average 18 degrees includes the run out at the bottom.

tjf67
10-31-2006, 02:09 PM
Empire is not that steep. It tight with a lot of big rocks that make it fun. I like carring speed into it launching off the lip and then scrambling like crazy to check speed and avoid the rocks. You are down around the corner before you know it and thats when it starts to get hairy. I always stay way to the right it seems the less traveled route. Got lots of nicks from that trail.

freeheelwilly
10-31-2006, 02:11 PM
how about extreme skier's left of ladies' drop?

ajl50
10-31-2006, 02:12 PM
"When you come out from Connectoer and look up to your left that is Niagara."
That's what i thought. That part felt the steepest to me last time I was there but it held great snow on the sides so it wasn't has hard as the upper part of the run.

tjf67
10-31-2006, 02:17 PM

WHere is ladies drop? Upper sky skiers rt at the beginning has a steep pitch. Good place to check your form. Getting right out over the top trusting your edges. FUN FUN.

freeheelwilly
10-31-2006, 02:22 PM
by the crossover loop right above weber's way

Phineas
10-31-2006, 02:27 PM
What is the speepist pitch on whiteface and where is it?

the entrance on slide three is pushing upper 30%, trail - probably Niagara then ladies drop does have a nice pitch

Tsavolion
10-31-2006, 02:44 PM

duh--how bout it

ajl50
10-31-2006, 03:07 PM
I grealty enjoy staying to skiers right when skyward takes that sharp turn and heads right under the summit quad. A great place to really dig the edges in.
I don't know how steep that part is but it feels fast.

kerovick
10-31-2006, 03:11 PM
::Sigh::

I wish I had a clue about these places your talking about.

Maybe I'll get lucky and actually make it ip there when the slides are open. If all else fails I just have to wait till The wife and I move up there.

Kero

Tsavolion
10-31-2006, 03:12 PM
niagara feels the steepest to me.

freeheelwilly
10-31-2006, 03:13 PM
I grealty enjoy staying to skiers right when skyward takes that sharp turn and heads right under the summit quad. A great place to really dig the edges in.
I don't know how steep that part is but it feels fast.

that's ladies' drop.

Tsavolion
10-31-2006, 03:15 PM

WHere is ladies drop? Upper sky skiers rt at the beginning has a steep pitch. Good place to check your form. Getting right out over the top trusting your edges. FUN FUN.

hopefully you can learn the trail names this year dumbo

highpeaksdrifter
10-31-2006, 03:35 PM
If all else fails I just have to wait till The wife and I move up there.

Kero

You've mentioned that before, when you comin?

kerovick
10-31-2006, 04:37 PM
Probally about 2 years, we're looking for lot's to build on in the future or a cheap house's when we come up in December. The wife wants to find a place in Tupper Lake but I think I'm leaning more towards Saranac Lake.

Kero

freeheelwilly
10-31-2006, 04:40 PM
Probally about 2 years, we're looking for lot's to build on in the future or a cheap house's when we come up in December. The wife wants to find a place in Tupper Lake but I think I'm leaning more towards Saranac Lake.

Kero

You=right

wife=wrong

g'luck with all of that.

Jack the Ripper
10-31-2006, 05:08 PM
[/quote] You=right wife=wrong g'luck with all of that.[/quote]

That's not how it seems to work out in my household. :P

kerovick
10-31-2006, 06:22 PM
All I have to do is convince her that it's her Idea and we'll be fine.

kero

tjf67
10-31-2006, 07:52 PM

hopefully you can learn the trail names this year dumbo

What I will do if we should ever ski together this year is while i am waiting for you at the bottom I will look at each trail and try to commit it to memory. The namesdont mean much to me. I grew up in the same house my whole life and only rea;ized when I was in high school a street a block over was named Vorton

jackstraw
11-01-2006, 11:34 AM
wherever and whatever it is, im sure its steep enough for all youz posers to slide slip it!!

:D :D

ajl50
11-01-2006, 01:04 PM
How to kill a thread: Lesson 1.
""wherever and whatever it is, im sure its steep enough for all youz posers to slide slip it!""

highpeaksdrifter
11-01-2006, 01:06 PM
""wherever and whatever it is, im sure its steep enough for all youz posers to slide slip it!""

Yep, that Jack is a bad seed alright.

freeheelwilly
11-01-2006, 01:09 PM

Yep, that Jack is a bad seed alright.

jackie boy rules!

Phineas
11-01-2006, 01:41 PM
he is the coolest! (well for a boston/NE fan)

Tsavolion
11-01-2006, 02:36 PM
hes a wet blanket

Phineas
11-01-2006, 02:44 PM
hes a wet blanket

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHFHAHAHA HAHAHAUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAFUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAH :P :P :P :lol:

jackstraw
11-01-2006, 03:02 PM
hes a wet blanket

i have a reply...but, as a well respected upstanding citizen of this forum i will bite my tongue and be the better person for it! :D

freeheelwilly
11-01-2006, 03:06 PM
in other words he's got nuttin'!

jackstraw
11-01-2006, 03:06 PM
in other words he's got nuttin'!

buddy, i neva have nuttin'!

jackstraw
11-01-2006, 03:15 PM
back to the orginal thread

get a protractor and use a ski pole. take multiple readings on the slope and your question will be answered! i am willing to bet that you'll be surprised at how low the angle is. i used to take readings a lot out west and always expected it to be steeper. a few spots in taos were in the high 40's degrees...average. you'll always find a few short sections that were steeper or near vert. typically, it was the run out, tightness, or trees that would make it feel steeper.

tjf67
11-01-2006, 03:23 PM
back to the orginal thread

get a protractor and use a ski pole. take multiple readings on the slope and your question will be answered! i am willing to bet that you'll be surprised at how low the angle is. i used to take readings a lot out west and always expected it to be steeper. a few spots in taos were in the high 40's degrees...average. you'll always find a few short sections that were steeper or near vert. typically, it was the run out, tightness, or trees that would make it feel steeper.

Yup I am going to pack my protracor. MHMM. You brought a protractor out with you. I hope you are making that up cause that is just yag

jackstraw
11-01-2006, 03:39 PM
dude, i am not making that up. wtf is mhmm? anyway, i skied everyday for many yrs out west. when u do that you end up skiing ob more and more. that equals avi's or potential to be in one. every single guy you see skiing big mtn stuff in movies, rags and anywhere else has a very good idea of what the slope degree is that they are on. they also know the snow pack. it all goes hand in hand. for several seasons i tracked the type of snow crystal, amount, winds and weather before and after. now, i wasn't over the top about it, but i did note it and tried to be aware.

im still alive so it was worth it. :shock:

tjf67
11-01-2006, 03:45 PM
OK take it back a knotch. So did you have a pocket protector to keep your protractor in? I am not that ambitious.

jackstraw
11-01-2006, 04:39 PM
hahahaha! no! i dont even remember how to read a real protractor. i just have one of those magnetic based round dial ones. slap her on da pole and instant reading. close enough...[/img]

oldskibum
11-01-2006, 08:06 PM
one of those magnetic based, round dial ones ?

jackstraw
11-06-2006, 12:40 PM
quick web search...any hardware store or sears
www.wttool.com/product-exec/product_id/9896/nm/Small_Angle_Magnetic_Protractor