PDA

View Full Version : Too corporate

Jack the Ripper
11-07-2006, 08:49 AM
Take the poll and let the admin now how you really feel.

freeheelwilly
11-07-2006, 09:40 AM
it's too alpine zoneish which means it sucks. i don't blame hpd - it's all greggy. the guy could be an OCD poster-child. a pox on his pointy little head. posts moved all over the place- different boards for "different" things. phineas has it. let's post wf ski related stuff over here. let's put gore TRs in the whiteface main board. :lol: :lol:

Jack the Ripper
11-07-2006, 10:34 AM
it's too alpine zoneish which means it sucks. i don't blame hpd - it's all greggy. the guy could be an OCD poster-child. a pox on his pointy little head. posts moved all over the place- different boards for "different" things. phineas has it. let's post wf ski related stuff over here. let's put gore TRs in the whiteface main board. :lol: :lol:

I agree with the too many boards and moving posts. I mean a FNG like Take IT posts a nice little thread which gets a look and some hints only to have that thread moved without prior knowledge to who knows where. I had to PM him to tell him where it went. All last year we had some "unrelated" threads in the main forum and somehow the world survived. GO BACK TO THE OLD WAY. SCREW THIS FORUM. :twisted:

Greg
11-07-2006, 10:51 AM

I agree with the too many boards and moving posts. I mean a FNG like Take IT posts a nice little thread which gets a look and some hints only to have that thread moved without prior knowledge to who knows where. I had to PM him to tell him where it went. All last year we had some "unrelated" threads in the main forum and somehow the world survived. GO BACK TO THE OLD WAY. SCREW THIS FORUM. :twisted:
Nobody is forcing either of you to post here. Feel free to go and start your own forum and see if you can get Whiteface to link to it. I set this forum up as a courtesy based on HPD's request. Like SkiMRV, this is an offshoot of AlpineZone so it's been set up the same way. If you don't like it, go somewhere else. As a matter of fact, your beloved RSN forum is still running:

RSN: New York Forum (http://rsn.com/community/forum_threads.html?forum_id=200162)

Go ahead and post your BS there instead.

Phineas
11-07-2006, 11:03 AM
A couple seasons ago thier was a joisting contest in the base lodge. It was cool.

I would pay money to watch Greg and FHW joist in the base lodge this season!!!

Giving 2 to 1 odds FHW knocks him off in 5 joists or less....

ajl50
11-07-2006, 11:35 AM
I'm with greg. WHO CARES if the forum isn't just a soap box for your ADHD minds. GET OVER IT. Gotten to corporate? What the hell? Are you a moron. What is corporate abour organization. YOu want pissing contests and shouting matches go get drunk at the cloudspin lounge. You want to talk about where you ski then do it with some civility ( if you can.) I'm jus tin awe that people would give a crap about what happens to their ranting posts. Delete all my posts - I don't care - I have a life that involves other things that are slightly more important.
if you are upset you are a full fledged loser. Get a job.

Jack the Ripper
11-07-2006, 11:51 AM

Nobody is forcing either of you to post here. Feel free to go and start your own forum and see if you can get Whiteface to link to it. I set this forum up as a courtesy based on HPD's request. Like SkiMRV, this is an offshoot of AlpineZone so it's been set up the same way. If you don't like it, go somewhere else. As a matter of fact, your beloved RSN forum is still running:

RSN: New York Forum (http://rsn.com/community/forum_threads.html?forum_id=200162)

Go ahead and post your BS there instead.

Voice your opinion and get shown the door. Nice. But hey it is your sandbox. :roll:

Jack the Ripper
11-07-2006, 11:52 AM
I'm with greg. WHO CARES if the forum isn't just a soap box for your ADHD minds. GET OVER IT. Gotten to corporate? What the hell? Are you a moron. What is corporate abour organization. YOu want pissing contests and shouting matches go get drunk at the cloudspin lounge. You want to talk about where you ski then do it with some civility ( if you can.) I'm jus tin awe that people would give a crap about what happens to their ranting posts. Delete all my posts - I don't care - I have a life that involves other things that are slightly more important.
if you are upset you are a full fledged loser. Get a job.

Who pissed in your coffee? :roll:

Greg
11-07-2006, 11:54 AM
Voice your opinion and get shown the door. Nice. But hey it is your sandbox. :roll:
How about instead of posting bait that someone like FHW will happily reply to, you provide some constructive criticism? What exactly is "too corporate". The Misc forum?

ajl50
11-07-2006, 12:05 PM
who pissed in my coffee? Duh. that's the point of the post- who pissed in your coffee so that you care about not being able to post junk?

Jack the Ripper
11-07-2006, 12:13 PM
How about instead of posting bait that someone like FHW will happily reply to, you provide some constructive criticism? What exactly is "too corporate". The Misc forum?

One got me red handed. I do like to bait. 8) I knew the too corporate was an easy one. I can't help myself. It's too easy to fire some people up and then watch the car crash afterwards. I need help. :P

Jack the Ripper
11-07-2006, 12:15 PM
who pissed in my coffee? Duh. that's the point of the post- who pissed in your coffee so that you care about not being able to post junk?

:shock: You've lost me a little with that one. You seem upset. You should talk to someone about your anger.

Lbtchnlgs
11-08-2006, 09:33 AM
You all whine way too much. Like Greg said if you don't like it go somewhere else

Jack the Ripper
11-08-2006, 10:24 AM
You all whine way too much. Like Greg said if you don't like it go somewhere else

The whole thing was over yet you still needed to keep kicking the dead horse. :roll:

freeheelwilly
11-08-2006, 12:32 PM

Greg, I think I've provided you with "constructive" criticism before and rather than actually address it - you just say "that's not the way I do it. It's my forum" or words to that effect. as someone who has been a part of forums faaaar more successful than this one* but who would like to see this one succeed because WF is my home mountain - why won't you even consider a different approach here? I mean, why not? If it doesn't work you can always go back.

*(don't get your hackles up. it's true. go to telemarktips.com. Mitch Weber knows what he's doin'. Just go and browse around there. Informative articles, instructional videos, video interviews with industry leaders - and it's not just a resource for telemarkers. it centers on telemarkers and BC skiers but it's a great resource for skiers. And thousands of different people post from all over the World. The World, Greg.)

Greg
11-08-2006, 12:58 PM
Greg, I think I've provided you with "constructive" criticism before and rather than actually address it - you just say "that's not the way I do it. It's my forum" or words to that effect. as someone who has been a part of forums faaaar more successful than this one* but who would like to see this one succeed because WF is my home mountain - why won't you even consider a different approach here? I mean, why not? If it doesn't work you can always go back.
Thank you for the constructive criticism. If you recall I did back off. I then came back in here to create the Misc forum and everyone pisses and moans and gives me crap about it. And all of a sudden, this forum is "too corporate", Greg's a dick, balh blah blah. Again, the premise behind this place was always to run it like AZ. In some way, SkiADK and SkiMRV also represent AZ so I chose to run them similarly. I always ran that board with a goal to make anyone feel comfortable posting there. I don't think the cliquish inside jokes between the old RSN crew is conducive to that. As a compromise, I set up a Misc forum to catch all the off-topic banter and keep the resort forums focused on skiing at those resorts. You said yourself that you prefer the phpBB linear format as opposed to the outdated RSN threaded forums, but one benefit of a linear board is to have separate boards based on topics. It's not that hard to browse though the forums. Easier yet is to click the View posts since last visit (http://forums.skiadk.com/search.php?search_id=newposts) link to see all new posts on one page. Instead some folks found this an opportunity to bash Greg again, the guy that set this up for you in the first place.

When I post, I post as if I was talking to someone face-to-face. If I disagree, I debate. But I don't try to belittle anybody. I don't put on some fake online persona like I'm some bad ass. All that is not me. You however think I'm a "tool" just because you don't agree with me, or the way I like to do things. Your preogative, I guess, but this attitude is lame, on- and offline. HPD and SOD say you're cool in person so I don't know why you feel like you have to come down on me online. I understand maybe part of it is just kidding around (or maybe not), but you always try to make it pretty personal. I'm not too eager to go and ski with someone like that and that's partly what forums like this are all about. I suspect you really don't care about that anyway though...

*(don't get your hackles up. it's true. go to telemarktips.com. Mitch Weber knows what he's doin'. Just go and browse around there. Informative articles, instructional videos, video interviews with industry leaders - and it's not just a resource for telemarkers. it centers on telemarkers and BC skiers but it's a great resource for skiers. And thousands of different people post from all over the World. The World, Greg.)
T-tips is great. I wish Mitch a lot of success. AZ is not a national or international forum. It's Northeast-only so of course it's going to be significantly smaller and less active. This one is even more focused regionally. AZ has been successful as far as I'm concerned. I've met some cool guys through it, many some really great skiers. I've said all this before; it's not for everybody. If anyone thinks they can do a better job, set up your own board. It's not that hard.

freeheelwilly
11-08-2006, 01:33 PM
thanks greg but what you've just said is that you will not consider a different approach - won't even consider it. It's gonna be like AZ and that's it. Now a couple of the RSNers that were here as of yesterday swear they won't be back - and I tend to believe 'em. no skin off your back right? but here's the thing - because of their geographical location (they live very close to WF) and their occupations as well as their outgoing and helpful personalities you have lost a tremendous resource. believe me. They're a far bigger loss than if I disappeared. And they're gone - perhaps for good. That should bother you and I think a reflective person would wonder a little about that - how did that happen, etc. Let me take a crack at answering that question.

Whether true or not, some here see you as heavy handed and someone who just imposes his will because he can. It strikes these people as odd because YOU'VE NEVER EVEN SKIED AT WHITEFACE (or Gore, correct?). So here's some guy - sets up a forum for Whitefacers - but he's not a Whitefacer - and then imposes a lot of what seems to be arbitrary rules and posting guidelines (I'm talkin' now about moving posts around and deleting/locking threads you deem duplicative and all of that stuff. Your rules against foul language and flaming are reasonable). And you did it so suddenly - just out of the blue. Maybe if you didn't have the reputation among several of us (deserved or not) it wouldn't have been seen the way it was but you do have that rep, Greg, and you have to deal with the implications. Maybe you could have made us feel like we had some say in it or something - I mean we're the ones using the board afterall - not you. And then you get really defensive because people slam you and you feel unappreciated but, to a certain extent, you stir up the problems.

Now - the cliqueishness. that cuts both ways. We may know each other but we didn't always. We met each other on RSN - the King of the Clique boards. We don't cut anybody out of our childish antics though. Whatever. As T-lion said yesterday - as you build a community it may look cliqueish to the outside - how could it not at first blush? But a true "clique" is exclusive and elitist and that ain't us. You don't think the AZ community looks cliqueish to a newbie? You don't see any "inside jokes" over there? C'mon - be real!

Now, the fact that I just "wasted" 25 minutes tapping all of that tripe out should show you that at some level, Greg, I care about the success of your little project here - and that should count for something. Just sayin'.

(dang)

ps greg - nobody's posted on the main board in over 17 hours. How can that be good?

Greg
11-08-2006, 01:52 PM
thanks greg but what you've just said is that you will not consider a different approach - won't even consider it. It's gonna be like AZ and that's it. Now a couple of the RSNers that were here as of yesterday swear they won't be back - and I tend to believe 'em. no skin off your back right? but here's the thing - because of their geographical location (they live very close to WF) and their occupations as well as their outgoing and helpful personalities you have lost a tremendous resource. believe me. They're a far bigger loss than if I disappeared. And they're gone - perhaps for good. That should bother you and I think a reflective person would wonder a little about that - how did that happen, etc. Let me take a crack at answering that question.

Whether true or not, some here see you as heavy handed and someone who just imposes his will because he can. It strikes these people as odd because YOU'VE NEVER EVEN SKIED AT WHITEFACE (or Gore, correct?). So here's some guy - sets up a forum for Whitefacers - but he's not a Whitefacer - and then imposes a lot of what seems to be arbitrary rules and posting guidelines (I'm talkin' now about moving posts around and deleting/locking threads you deem duplicative and all of that stuff. Your rules against foul language and flaming are reasonable). And you did it so suddenly - just out of the blue. Maybe if you didn't have the reputation among several of us (deserved or not) it wouldn't have been seen the way it was but you do have that rep, Greg, and you have to deal with the implications. Maybe you could have made us feel like we had some say in it or something - I mean we're the ones using the board afterall - not you. And then you get really defensive because people slam you and you feel unappreciated but, to a certain extent, you stir up the problems.

Now - the cliqueishness. that cuts both ways. We may know each other but we didn't always. We met each other on RSN - the King of the Clique boards. We don't cut anybody out of our childish antics though. Whatever. As T-lion said yesterday - as you build a community it may look cliqueish to the outside - how could it not at first blush? But a true "clique" is exclusive and elitist and that ain't us. You don't think the AZ community looks cliqueish to a newbie? You don't see any "inside jokes" over there? C'mon - be real!

Now, the fact that I just "wasted" 25 minutes tapping all of that tripe out should show you that at some level, Greg, I care about the success of your little project here - and that should count for something. Just sayin'.

(dang)
I appreciate all that and I see your points. I would have appreciated something like this from the outset of this forum in the form of a PM or Email, or even a phone call. I'm a helluva lot more receptive to something like this than a "Greg is a tool" post. And you're right - I should set up something that the majority here wants. I did back off and gave you guys some breathing room and only came back in here to create the Misc forum that HPD agreed was a good idea. In fact, I found a PM from back in March where he actually requested it. Still, Greg gets the brunt of the "feedback". That puts me on the defensive and you can bet it sure makes me feel unappreciated. Like you mention, I'm not an ADK skier so why should I have to take that? If I pulled the plug here, it really wouldn't affect me much. I keep at it because I feel it could be a useful tool for you guys and it's no secret that AZ, SkiMRV and SkiADK benefit in cross-linking. But sometimes I question how much is that really worth?

So, where to go from here? How about I do let you guys shape the future of this forum? I'm still a bit baffled as to what the concerns are in terms of Misc and post-locking, etc. Let's continue to use this thread to post comments on what folks do and do not like here. I will then try to distill each point down into simple actions I can take in order for this place to evolve into something you want to see. I will do that by creating a poll for each item and let the community decide on how to proceed. That's the only diplomatic way. Some topics could be Do we need a Miscellaneous forum? Should the word censor be enabled? etc.Thoughts?

Thanks for your thoughful reply, FHW. I do appreciate it, honestly.

ajl50
11-08-2006, 03:15 PM
I posted in the last 17hours.
My clock is wrong.