PDA

View Full Version : Rental suggestions?

tobnpr
11-07-2006, 07:02 PM
Aaaahhh- can't wait to get back :D

Came to LP from Fl last year and got hooked (hey- balmy temps, biatches in bikinis, and white sand beaches get boring, too!). Just made our reservation to come back first week in Jan.
We're staying longer this year-hopefully to ski more(assuming it's not solid ice like last year and I can spend more time OFF my ass) and was wondering if there's a better way to go than renting our equip every day at the mountain. Problem is, there's four of us and I don't know of a rental vehicle that'll carry all that stuff. I was told that the lockers are not available- rented out way in advance. What's the least-hassle way to go?

Denison
11-07-2006, 07:35 PM
Renting for few days is a better deal and I'd recommend getting equopment at "Mountain and Boardertown" store. Equpment is newer and you pay less per day. As far as getting all that stuff into the rental car - my old Pontiac Grand Prix used to have an opening in the back seat, where you could easily slide 4 pairs of skis , and still have 2 people comfortably sit in the back. The other car I know with backsit-to-trunk opening is Audi A6.

Should you decide to not to carry and rent on the mountain, don't they have overnight ski storage (not lockers), I think they do, thought I've never used it.

highpeaksdrifter
11-07-2006, 07:40 PM
M&B is a great shop.

ajl50
11-07-2006, 07:47 PM
They have a ski check that you can use for like 5 or 10 bucks a day. It's pretty good. It's in like this little hut outside by the ski racks. I used it and it was a good deal.
Perhaps if you are staying in town you could also take the shuttle - that has a place for skis on it.

NPN
11-07-2006, 08:28 PM
Aaaahhh- can't wait to get back :D

Came to LP from Fl last year and got hooked (hey- balmy temps, biatches in bikinis, and white sand beaches get boring, too!). Just made our reservation to come back first week in Jan.
We're staying longer this year-hopefully to ski more(assuming it's not solid ice like last year and I can spend more time OFF my a**) and was wondering if there's a better way to go than renting our equip every day at the mountain. Problem is, there's four of us and I don't know of a rental vehicle that'll carry all that stuff. I was told that the lockers are not available- rented out way in advance. What's the least-hassle way to go?

I'm not sure what you mean by, "I don't know of a rental vehicle that'll carry all that stuff", but, if you're talking about a car/SUV then there is always the free shuttle that runs all day long to, and from the mountain so that is not an issue.

Then again, if you don't want to tote, I can't imagine there isn't a way to do a multi-day plan at the Whiteface rental shop where you could simply drop your set up back off when you're done, and grab it the next day ( but don't quote me because I don't think I've ever rented in this lifetime ( then again, I've never lived in Florida either )).

Regardless, good luck, and remember, we never have "solid ice" at Whiteface, we just have too many people who don't know enough to show up for first gondola, and, as a result, suffer the consequences of the occasional "skied off" section usually available by noon.

ajl50
11-07-2006, 08:36 PM
totally agree- there is never total ice if your ski on the sides of the trails!