PDA

View Full Version : Pic of the day

NPN
11-08-2006, 05:20 PM
Color me ignoramus, but how do you get to the "pic of the day" on the website?

highpeaksdrifter
11-08-2006, 05:27 PM

Go to pic of the day and 2X left mouse to enlarge

Right click on properties and copy through jpg, like this: http://www.rsn.com/image_display/5062277.jpg

Click on IMG button, Paste, Click on IMG again

submit

NPN
11-08-2006, 06:01 PM

Go to pic of the day and 2X left mouse to enlarge

Right click on properties and copy through jpg, like this: http://www.rsn.com/image_display/5062277.jpg

Click on IMG button, Paste, Click on IMG again

submit

So, you're saying there is no pick of the day on the Whiteface site, right?

NPN
11-08-2006, 06:11 PM
http://www.rsn.com/cams/placid/cam_welcome.html?bc=H^CI

Is it just me, or shouldn't the owners catch hell for not upgrading bowser's gear?

p.s.- HPD, thanks for the info.

ajl50
11-08-2006, 06:39 PM
They did have some pics of the day last year right...or did they just post some random slide shows. They have one for the slides, mid winter dump..right?

Adirondackskier
11-09-2006, 04:50 PM
I just called Whiteface currently you can check out the pic of the day under multi-media section, but they are in the process of adding a RSN pic o' the day button on the homepage.

Also her is the text to the Skiing article. What can I can I say but it was an exceptionally slow day at work.

Timing: It’s the only thing that’ll put you on top of the Whiteface Slides—1,250 vertical feet of ice flows, logs, bedrock, and mandatory airs that are open only during periods of copious coverage. Whether you’ve ridden the Summit chair or skinned up the Toll Road (and it’s bad juju to do the latter when the Slides are closed), you’re in for some intense turns. Here’s how to maximize your time. —ADAM HOWARDNEW YORKThe Whiteface Slides213anatomyA MOUNTAIN DISSECTED45UPPERSKYWARD SLIDE 1Shimmy through the main access gate at the top of the Summit quad and you’re a few hundred feet below Slide 1. If the cover’s good, bang a quick right off the traverse and dive in. But watch out for the ice flows, which range from totally exposed to barely covered at best. SLIDE 2A lower-angle option than 1, Slide 2 is usually more filled in. Ski the top, and then merge back with 1 just above the main ice flow. Approach with caution: The point at which the two slides meet is the crux. SLIDE 3During the winter of 2000–2001, the Slides were open several dozen days. High traffic made the traverse to Slide 3 a gut-wrenching ride. Watch for whoop-de-dos: Negotiating them can be as tough as the mandatory airs and bony escape back out to Slide 1. SLIDE 4Crank a few turns at the top and then tighten ’em up in the spruce-filled choke. This line is harder than it looks. Depending on conditions, you’ll have at least three mandatory airs of six to 10 feet. SLIDES 5 AND 6What am I doing here? That’s what you’ll be asking yourself if you’ve bushwhacked beyond the traverse to Slide 4. No, those trees don’t open back up below. If you really are desperate to hit 5 or 6, the best, but least legal, way is a hike up Slide Out, where all slides merge and return to Whiteface proper. Not recommended. THE BACK SLIDE(NOT VISIBLE)Popular with the local backcountry lunch bunch, Whiteface West (or the Lake Placid
Slide) is accessed via the Toll Road. If you’re hitting this from the lift, you’re breaking the New York state law regulating
out-of-bounds skiing. Most locals will lap a few on the Toll Road Slide—which intersects the road in one spot—en route to the longer Slide West.1 2 34 566WHITEFACETOLL ROADWWW.SKINET.COMNOVEMBER 2006 skiing 7EDREW HASSSUMMITQUAD

Jack the Ripper
11-09-2006, 05:11 PM
[quote="Adirondackskier"]. SLIDE 4Crank a few turns at the top and then tighten ’em up in the spruce-filled choke. This line is harder than it looks. Depending on conditions, you’ll have at least three mandatory airs of six to 10 feet.

This is the slide that me and Skier4life did last year but I only remember the one mandatory air of about 6 feet 3/4 of the way down. S4L help me out on this, was there only the one or am I forgetting the others?

Skier 4 Life
11-14-2006, 12:50 PM
This is the slide that me and Skier4life did last year but I only remember the one mandatory air of about 6 feet 3/4 of the way down. S4L help me out on this, was there only the one or am I forgetting the others?

I seem to recall at least two (2) smaller airs during our run that we tried our best to avoid, but we had to sneak in and out of those pines to do it. I must say that was quite a memorable run, but you definitely have more options (and more fun?) going down slide 1 or 2. At least we got to track some fresh, chest-deep pow going down... what a blast! 8)

Jack the Ripper
11-14-2006, 02:27 PM
[/quote] I seem to recall at least two (2) smaller airs during our run that we tried our best to avoid, but we had to sneak in and out of those pines to do it. I must say that was quite a memorable run, but you definitely have more options (and more fun?) going down slide 1 or 2. At least we got to track some fresh, chest-deep pow going down... what a blast! 8)[/quote]

We would have had more fun the second time around. That was my and I believe your first time on that slide. It's hard to let go and rip when you're not sure of the terrain around you. I'll try slide 1 & 2 next time out but will still hike out to 4 for the DEEP pow.

Skier 4 Life
11-14-2006, 02:35 PM
We would have had more fun the second time around. That was my and I believe your first time on that slide. It's hard to let go and rip when you're not sure of the terrain around you. I'll try slide 1 & 2 next time out but will still hike out to 4 for the DEEP pow.

I totally agree, JTR... and I hope to be there with you buddy... just hope there's some fresh pow to track up again!

P.S. FYI, it was my first attempt down that slide, but definitely not my last. 8)

ajl50
11-14-2006, 05:02 PM
What skis were you all skiing the slides on?

Skier 4 Life
11-14-2006, 06:35 PM

I believe I was skiing with my 170 Nordica Speed Machine 14s and JTR was on his fav Dynastar Intuitive (sp?) 74s.

BTW, its not the skis, but the skier who points them down the slope that makes the dif. Nothing against your ability to ski 'em ajl50, but I wouldn't recommend anyone attempt to go into the slides who isn't able to handle the rest of the mountain first... just my 2 cents for the day I guess.

ajl50
11-14-2006, 07:17 PM
Yea that's great. Thanks for the advice. But really I'm not talking about abilities- I ski in my range and I ski to improve. I was just asking about what people were skiing the slides with because the terrain there is so much different than the hardpack on the rest of the mountain.
How that indicates i should stick to wolf and wolf run i'm not sure....

highpeaksdrifter
11-14-2006, 07:33 PM
Yea that's great. Thanks for the advice. But really I'm not talking about abilities- I ski in my range and I ski to improve. I was just asking about what people were skiing the slides with because the terrain there is so much different than the hardpack on the rest of the mountain.
How that indicates i should stick to wolf and wolf run i'm not sure....

In the Slides you can be in deep, light, pow for awhile and then be on an ice flow where it has been skied off or blown away. I would say a stiff mid-fat would be a good choice. I liked my Nordica Top Fuels in there alot.

Jack the Ripper
11-15-2006, 11:54 AM

S4L had on a slalom type ski no more than 67 in the waist. I had a mid-fat made for that stuff at 74 in the waist. You can take any ski in there if you can handle the terrain but something a little fatter will make it more fun.

jackstraw
11-20-2006, 12:41 PM

rossi 4S...201cm