PDA

View Full Version : Naming of Gore Mountain

Lbtchnlgs
11-15-2006, 01:11 AM
Does anyone know where the name Gore came from? Where it origonated from? When it was named?

This is what I found on Dictoinary.com...

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.0.1) - Cite This Source
gore3  /gɔr, goʊr/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[gawr, gohr] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation noun, verb, gored, gor‧ing.

–noun 1. a triangular piece of material inserted in a garment, sail, etc., to give it greater width or a desired shape. Compare godet (def. 1), gusset (def. 1).
2. one of the panels, usually tapering or shaped, making up a garment, as a skirt.
3. a triangular tract of land, esp. one lying between larger divisions.
–verb (used with object) 4. to make or furnish with a gore or gores.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Origin: bef. 900; ME; OE gāra corner (c. G Gehre gusset); cf. OE gār spear]

11-15-2006, 09:39 AM
I can't remember exactly...but I'm pretty sure it's named for something that happened/in the surround North Creek/ADK Park area...similar to Pete Gay, Tannery, Chatiemac, etc, etc...

St. Jerry
11-15-2006, 09:41 AM
It had to do with the fact that you couldn't see the summit of Gore from the base (in North Creek).

Harvey44
11-15-2006, 09:42 AM
I think a gore is a piece of land that is created between parcels due to inaccuracies in surveying. Like a piece of land nobody owns. There are a few spots in the adks where you can find old growth, huge trees, because nobody owned them or logged them.

MidnightCarving
11-16-2006, 04:22 PM
yeah you guys are right... i saw it in the gondi cabin a couple years ago (lol) a gore is a portion of land that is overlooked in a geographical survey, and apparently gore was overlooked in the initial surveys of the 'dacks

St. Jerry
11-17-2006, 05:41 PM
yup, that's right. I knew I had read it somewhere, but couldn't recall where.

that and the story of Pete Gay and the tannery...

11-19-2006, 12:25 PM
Here that? I was partially right!

Tobesssss
11-21-2006, 08:08 AM
F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK F*UCK

ALL OF YOU F*UCKERS

Harvey44
11-21-2006, 09:00 AM
That's real helpful.

adkman656
11-21-2006, 09:28 AM
Nice Job Tobessss...now when Alpine Zone/Ski ADK wants to approach ORDA management again and ask for some answers to posters questions, ORDA can look at your highly refined vocabulary and journalistic skills and quickly come to the conclusion that they really need to participate in this forum. I know, I know..."everyone" swears, uses garbage talk, etc... but these boards are also read by younger folks and it really wouldn't kill us all to use a little discretion in our writing. Nothing wrong with getting things revved up in here and arguing back and forth...but who knows, maybe we can actually do it like educated adults, not semi literate imbeciles. Feel free to blast me Tobesss, but if you are only going to use one word...just use it once...I can read and will get your point.

St. Jerry
11-21-2006, 10:19 AM
Fuck you
you fucking
fuck