PDA

View Full Version : WhiteFace Opening dat3

cmonson
11-15-2006, 01:20 PM
I keep looking at the pic of the day, and still not snow. I realize it is still pretty early, but I have a trip planned and paid or to get out there over Christmas. COuld anyone with some experience in the area give me any perspective as what I could expect for snow by Christmas? DO you think all of the runs will be open?

ajl50
11-15-2006, 01:33 PM
By xmas you'll have plenty to ski on. I'm heading up the 26th and I'm not worried at all. I'm not sure your ability level but I'm pretty confident that there will be at least a full summit to base run consisting of Parons Run for the summit section. I'm also pretty confident that Skyward will be open (black summit trail)
From little whiteface you'll most def. have several blacks open ( mt. run and wilderness and likely thruway or parkway and essex.) Plus the most popular blue run-excelsior. You'll also have kids campus open, lower valley, drapers drop and plenty of greens on the lower mountain.
Don't worry. Your legs will burn for sure.
As for conditions- there's no way to be sure as I've seen big deep powder and icy hardpack. So just come ready to ski whatever is down.

cmonson
11-15-2006, 01:47 PM
I went last year in February and spent 90% of my time using the gondula. If the runs that progress through that terrain were open, I would be a happy camper...

tjf67
11-15-2006, 03:49 PM
you will be OK. Its kinda dismal around here right now but things will change.

ajl50
11-15-2006, 05:00 PM
If you like stuff of the gondola you'll be fine-
In fact I spent two days in march with the gondola and the summit shut down because of wind, with bascailly only mt. run and wilderness to ski and I had a great time.

cmonson
11-16-2006, 04:36 PM
Is there any snow up there right now?

NPN
11-16-2006, 05:41 PM
Is there any snow up there right now?

Yeah, it's in this globe sitting on JR's desk. You shake it, and it looks the way we all hope it would, only in miniature.

ajl50
11-16-2006, 06:23 PM
snow up there now? It's not the arctic.
The entire NE is one mud pit right now. There will be PLENTY of snow for xmas skiing and riding. I wouldn't even worry about it.

oneotwoandcounting
11-17-2006, 06:04 PM
Hi,

I’ve been skiing WF since 1981. By Christmas Little WF has always been open. So the Gondola should be running but it will be crowded Christmas week. If you work the lifts properly you usually don’t have to spend too much time in a lift line.

I have seen the summit open by Christmas a few times but more time than not it is open.

Little WF does offer a lot of very good skiing so the summit is not necessary, however when it is open the trails are a lot less crowded.

Right now things look pretty bad due to record warm weather but that can change quickly up here, you just never know.

Skibum4Life
11-19-2006, 08:30 AM
Last year Christmas week was a bit dicey. The mountain had good cover snow wise but we had some raindays. The Groundkeeps did an unbelievable job over night and kept the mountain in great shape.

10 day forecast look aweful. I hope things improve. But even it it does, it takes time to get the mountain covered once the weather cooperates. Do not bank on the upper Blacks off the top being open when you go. Takes large amounts of snow to cover those runs.

ajl50
11-19-2006, 10:13 AM
Skibum - i was there last winter starting on the 26th and it wasn't dicey in my opinion. Parons and Skyward stayed open all week long, temps were in the upper 20's and lower 30's and there was nice groomed carveable snow everwhere. The day it rained it didn't rain very much at all.
I will agree that without some real help from mother nature Skyward and Cloudspin are unlikely to be open. However the blacks off of little whiteface will be open and Parons from the summit will likely be open.

NPN
11-19-2006, 10:25 AM
You naysayers are beginning to bum me out! Leave that "Glass Half Empty" state of mind over on the Gore forum, and buck up. You all seem to be forgetting the increased snow making capability to the top of the mountain that will vastly improve the time it takes to cover everything up there.

11-19-2006, 10:40 AM
You naysayers are beginning to bum me out! Leave that "Glass Half Empty" state of mind over on the Gore forum, and buck up. You all seem to be forgetting the increased snow making capability to the top of the mountain that will vastly improve the time it takes to cover everything up there.

No CRAP!!! I'm getting a little sick of it. You can't do a damn thing about it. The planet is doomed and globle warming is just a marketing ploy. Skiing will soon be done at only 10,000 ft and above. Whiteface will be a vertical golf course. Beside it will give people like HPD more time to get in shape for the real snow.

ajl50
11-19-2006, 11:43 AM
am I a naysayer?
I don't mean to be. I'm actually pretty convinced that we'll have a cold and snowy december. In my mind it's only the middle of november and I don't even care about winter weather until at least the middle of december. If it is warm then i'm upset. Now...ehh no big deal.

TakeIt2TheSlopes
11-19-2006, 01:07 PM
Think snow everyone, When will WF pick the opening date? The day before Thanksgiving :roll: