PDA

View Full Version : Turning point

ajl50
11-16-2006, 08:16 AM
Well If the lifts don't float away today it seems that this is the turning point for this nasty warm and rainy weather. I personally respect whiteface alot for keeping everybody posted on their snowmaking plans. I think the'll turn the guns on HUGE this weekend and get open for next weekend. In the long term future I see a cold phase till the end of the first week of december, then a warm up - not as much as this but still above normal- till around the end of the third week in december and then a real arctic shot coming around xmas.

Also- I'm going to see off the grid tomorrow night- anybody see that film?

kerovick
11-16-2006, 10:10 AM
I like everything you said except for the warm up first week of december, I'm coming up on the 9th to ski :-(

Kero

Denison
11-16-2006, 10:13 AM
Yeah, looks like weekend will be the turning point.

...In the long term future I see a cold phase till the end of the first week of december, then a warm up...

As for long range weather prediction, sounds like you finally got that local weatherman.
Are you keeping him in a basement? :?

ajl50
11-16-2006, 10:39 AM
I made him an offer he can't refuse.
Actually I spent too much time yesterday in class reading weather message boards and taking the middle ground on all their predictions and going with my instincts. These instincts tell me that since everything lately has been running in 15 day cycles ( as they usually do) and we're breaking a 15 day warm up we'll get a slow 15 day cool down that isn't too stormy and then we'll see a mild warm up ( could actually be where we see the snow as a warm up still might keep temps at mountains below 32), and then a real arctic cool down. There is way too much cold air up in the yukon for some to not break off and come down south. When it finally does - watch out. It's been so cold up there the past month that it's lowered the yearly average temp, the historical monthly average for that area and the average high this past month or so has often been lower than the daily average temp- as temps are running close to 16 degrees below average.