PDA

View Full Version : KT22

Faceplant
11-21-2006, 04:33 PM
I've heard that's a fun run. Know how it got that name? :?:

wondertrev
11-21-2006, 07:17 PM
I believe its from 22 kick turns to get down. Its takes me much more than 22 turns. Depending on the snow, it's either Nirvana or Hell.

oldskibum
11-21-2006, 07:31 PM
I think in FP's case it took 22 face plants !!! haha By the way ole FP, are you going to at the mt. on Fri. or Sat??

KT22
11-21-2006, 08:35 PM
Well as legend would have it…, it was a cold and snowy day way back when in the 1940’s when Wayne Paulsen – founding member of the Squaw valley development company – took his wife to the top of the mountain for a few turns. She was too afraid to ski down the mountain so she descended by skiing nearly perpendicular to the fall line and making kick turns to change direction. Wayne counted 22 of these kick turns hence the name KT-22. I did not know this but Wikipedia makes trivia so easy!
Actually the run off of the KT22 chair is pretty amazing and is recommend by all the locals who insist that you must ski KT22 if you haven’t already ( although I found that the locals will look at you strangely if you tell them you’re also going to visit Heavenly ). If you ever have the chance, it is really amazing to stand halfway down Mountain Run and watch some of the locals skiing KT22, Headwall and Siberia. There are so many excellent athletes who ski like they do in the TGR films, but it is so much more impressive – and humbling – to watch skiers of that caliper in person. The one thing that I always found odd about Squaw was the almost complete lack of Apres Ski in Truckee, The Mountain may be awesome but Lake Placid has it beat hands down in the charm department

11-21-2006, 09:41 PM
Have you ever skied it? I had the pleasure of skiing it last year with what I found out later to be a guy from the Squaw freestyle team. I knew nothing about the trail. Skied it blind after a 3 ft. storm. I was sweating my ass off. The shoot to skiers left is very narrow and steeper than any slide at WF. Don't know how long it's been since you have been ther but both towns are great to party in after skiing. Had a blast at all the Tahoe areas. I thought Scotts Chute was harder to ski at Alpine.

Faceplant
11-25-2006, 04:22 PM
Thanks bum. tho you're probably not far from wrong. How many helmuts would it take you? :?:

highpeaksdrifter
11-25-2006, 05:35 PM
Thanks bum. tho you're probably not far from wrong. How many helmuts would it take you? :?:

:lol: OSB takes multiple shots everyday on how many helmets he has busted.

oldskibum
11-26-2006, 10:39 AM
Hopefully I could ski it with only one helmet!!! I have made it through two full days of skiing this year, with the same helmet!!!! I'M ON A ROLL!! :lol