PDA

View Full Version : Spam

highpeaksdrifter
11-28-2006, 12:38 PM
:x We’ve been getting alot in here lately. I delete it as soon as I see it. When you see it please don’t reply to it. I’ve PMed Greg about it; hopefully. There is some filter he can use to alleviate the problem.

jackstraw
11-28-2006, 01:56 PM
ya, ive noticed that there hasn't been any postings from fhw and ghosty in a while now. keep up the good work!

Jack the Ripper
11-28-2006, 02:29 PM
ya, ive noticed that there hasn't been any postings from fhw and ghosty in a while now. keep up the good work!

:D They took their ball and are playing elsewhere I'm sure. :twisted:

Greg
11-29-2006, 10:32 AM
Spam posts are up here as well as SkiMRV and AZ. There are no filters per se, but I'm looking into ways to lessen the problem...

ajl50
11-29-2006, 10:52 AM
Can you enable all of the users to remove it? Or will that just enable us to delete each other's posts.

Jack the Ripper
11-29-2006, 11:05 AM
Spam posts are up here as well as SkiMRV and AZ. There are no filters per se, but I'm looking into ways to lessen the problem...

Seems like the spammers put USA as a location. Maybe you should require a little more specific info. Then again that probably won't help. What about blocking the "address" of the spammers that do get in?

Greg
11-29-2006, 12:00 PM

Seems like the spammers put USA as a location. Maybe you should require a little more specific info. Then again that probably won't help. What about blocking the "address" of the spammers that do get in?
I do have some hacks installed that limit spam bot registrations already. Fact of the matter is that phpBB is pretty susceptible to spam. We'll see how this season goes and I may convert to vBulletin next year. While it's a commercial product, it's far superior to phpBB although it doesn't block all spam bots.

ajl50
11-29-2006, 04:54 PM
ever wonder who writes these spam programs.
What the hell is point?
I need to find somebody that writes this stuff.

Jack the Ripper
11-29-2006, 05:08 PM
ever wonder who writes these spam programs.
What the hell is point?
I need to find somebody that writes this stuff.

$$$$$$$$$ That's always the point. Trying to get money. :roll:

oldskibum
11-29-2006, 07:57 PM
I think that ocassionally, they may contain a virus. I opened one a month or so ago, and had big virus problem. Got it cleaned up, but took abouta week or more. It seemed that as soon as I opened it my computer went bazerk!!

Lbtchnlgs
11-29-2006, 09:33 PM
In the past day or two i have seen at least 5 spam messages. they must know we really hate them