PDA

View Full Version : Skiing over XMAS

cmonson
12-02-2006, 07:18 PM
I am travelling quite a distance to be there over Christmas and wondering if some veterans can help me out. I have skied for 15 years growing up in the Canadian Rockies. Unfortunately the mountains back home could not move with me to flat ohio...

I have booked a trip to the face over christmas, and wondering what the crowds typically will be like over the Holidays? I know they can get pretty bad back home...

Also, I KNOW this is the WRONG forum, but what are any thoughts on Killington. I might book another trip to Killington, but I have never been there. It looks more like a resort than a ski hill. Is that true?

ssface
12-03-2006, 12:00 PM
As is the case with most other areas, the busiest week of the year at WF is Christmas.
It pays to arrive at the mountian early to get a good parking spot and to be ready for the first gondola ride at 8:30. Ski hard in the morning when trails are freshly groomed and less crowded. Check with Guest Services to see if 'early tracks' is being offered during the holiday week at 8:00....good fun before lifts open to public.
Early lunch at mid-station is a good idea. The Bistro at mid-station is quite relaxing.
Hope this helps....Have a great week!

daboystipsheet
12-03-2006, 01:19 PM
don't le tthe number of cars int he parking lot disuad you, the trails are well laid out with an efficient lift system -- just avoid the bottom during peak times. As for Killington, for a variety of reaons I have been a season pass holder the rpevious two years. Good snowmaking system and lots of trails but all are realitiveloy short compared to WF and not nearly as challanging. You will find skiing in eastern snow to be a different challange and will give you a new appreciation for a true powder day. See you on the mountain.

NPN
12-03-2006, 02:15 PM
I am travelling quite a distance to be there over Christmas and wondering if some veterans can help me out. I have skied for 15 years growing up in the Canadian Rockies. Unfortunately the mountains back home could not move with me to flat ohio...

I have booked a trip to the face over christmas, and wondering what the crowds typically will be like over the Holidays? I know they can get pretty bad back home...

Also, I KNOW this is the WRONG forum, but what are any thoughts on Killington. I might book another trip to Killington, but I have never been there. It looks more like a resort than a ski hill. Is that true?

Picture the Holland, or Lincoln Tunnel at rush hour to, and from New Jersey and you'll have a pretty good idea of what Killington's like.

If you're looking for a ski trip to Vermont try Stowe instead.

St. Jerry
12-04-2006, 09:22 AM
I would avoid Killington over Christmas week. However, Pico has far less crowds. though less terrain.

tjf67
12-04-2006, 09:51 AM
Good or bad Whiteface will be less packed than any of the hills in vermont

Jack the Ripper
12-04-2006, 10:45 AM
I would avoid Killington over Christmas week. However, Pico has far less crowds. though less terrain.

Aviod Kmart period. Lots of better skiing in VT. Stowe. Smuggs, Mad River, Pico, anywhere else. You'll free like a rat in a maze at the mart especially during xmas week.

cmonson
12-04-2006, 11:18 AM
I asked around the ski shops here over the weekend about Killington. They all say it has some good skiing, however it is more of a Social Scene. I go on a ski trip to ski, not drink and party.

I'm really looking forward to getting on the face this Christmas. Hopefully itwill have some more runs open by that time. It does look promising for a Summit to Base run by Christmas I would think, but I guess you never know.

To be honest, last year I spent 90% of my time on the gondy b/c of the excellent runs and the quick ride up. Even if most of the terrain off of the gondy was open, I would be happy...

Also, wrong forum for it, but someone really needs to get a web camera up more on the mountain. I am sure the base has the worst conditions out there, and they have a camera pointing straight at it.

ajl50
12-04-2006, 01:11 PM
You'll def. have good stuff off the gondola open. They have good snowmaking on many of those trails and with cold temps for the next 15 days you can expect (at least I would expect) to see them lay down a base on those trails.

As for the webcam- IT IS THE WORST WEBCAM ever. It shows me NOTHING. Whiteface's base has a view of nothing at all and moreover the webcam is aimed at the ground. Put a webcam at midstation and aim up towards moutnain run.

Tsavolion
12-04-2006, 01:22 PM
I asked around the ski shops here over the weekend about Killington. They all say it has some good skiing, however it is more of a Social Scene. I go on a ski trip to ski, not drink and party.

I'm really looking forward to getting on the face this Christmas. Hopefully itwill have some more runs open by that time. It does look promising for a Summit to Base run by Christmas I would think, but I guess you never know.

To be honest, last year I spent 90% of my time on the gondy b/c of the excellent runs and the quick ride up. Even if most of the terrain off of the gondy was open, I would be happy...

Also, wrong forum for it, but someone really needs to get a web camera up more on the mountain. I am sure the base has the worst conditions out there, and they have a camera pointing straight at it.

sugarbush

mattchuck2
12-04-2006, 09:05 PM
I'd probably go to Killington . . . they will be more crowded, but they will have a ton more open terrain.