PDA

View Full Version : Optimism

Harvey44
12-03-2006, 07:09 AM
I like Sara's optimism. It takes just as much effort as the opposite, so I was searching the web for more of it.
Check this out. Play the video:

http://wwwa.accuweather.com/promo-ad.asp?partner=accuweather&traveler=0&dir=aw&page=winter2006

Here's my question: With a full week of below freezing temps, and some primo cold on Thursday and Friday - what do we think our boys at Gore can get open by say Saturday? Is it just Topridge and maybe FoxL/Sunway/3B? Will Showcase get added to the mix or maybe Pineknot and ??. Predictions? I can't remember what the opened after TR and Sunway last year.

See you next weekend on Topridge, AT LEAST!

GO TEAM GO.

Mark

mikebike
12-03-2006, 07:30 AM
THe weather forcast for this week looks promising ....cold temps and some real snow to boot

mattchuck2
12-03-2006, 10:19 AM
Topridge, Foxlair, Wild Air by Thursday. Sunway by Saturday. Quicksilver and Ruby Run by Sunday. That's my prediction.

MidnightCarving
12-04-2006, 09:02 AM
guys i love the optimism, really, but i just cant see that happening, my prediction is topridge back by thursday, then by saturday/ sunday they'll get it together with a foxlair/wildair, and if the weather stays cold they should have sunway to 3b and quicksilver by mid week next week.

but my real question is, why do i see 40's in the forecast?! this is absurd, i hope they get the upper mountain going before christmas....

my christmas wish list:
Twister
Showcase
Hawkeye/Chateimac
Lies
and i'd love to see some darby or hullabaloo but i fear that may be asking too much

Harvey44
12-04-2006, 09:31 AM
I don't know very much about snow making. Can someone educate me? What is the limiting factor? Assuming it's cold, which it looks like it is for at least the next 10 days what is it that hampers Gore:

Air/ Water Pressure?
Manpower to move the guns around?
Money to pay them?
Grooming?

I don't get it. It seems like every 24 hours a new trail should come on line if the temp doesn't get above 28 or so. What am I missing?

Mark

Lbtchnlgs
12-04-2006, 11:31 AM
I don't know very much about snow making. Can someone educate me? What is the limiting factor? Assuming it's cold, which it looks like it is for at least the next 10 days what is it that hampers Gore:

Air/ Water Pressure?
Manpower to move the guns around?
Money to pay them?
Grooming?

I don't get it. It seems like every 24 hours a new trail should come on line if the temp doesn't get above 28 or so. What am I missing?

Mark

Temp/humidity are the big factors

man power is not much of a problem, once you look at the 24 hr forcast you have enough time to put the guns where you want them using snowmobiles,
quads, and snow cats

they will blow snow until they have everything possible opened and continue until the cover is deep enough to last somewhat into the spring

grooming is not a factor, they machines are made to push the piles of now

it does seem like a new trail should be opened every 24 hrs but there are many factors that have an effect on this as well, each trail needs a different amount of snow due to what lays on it i.e rocks. wind can have a big negative effect on snowmaking because it will blow it all into the woods, and gun efficiency, the newer the guns the more snow you get out of them because of new technology. One more thing is the amount hose they have to run guns onto trails w.o pipelines

Harvey44
12-04-2006, 11:35 AM
Wow - thanks for the info. So humidity..... if it's snowing or even borderline (like flurries) does that mean that the snow making is more productive? I always assumed it, but never knew for sure.

Hey what does Lbtchnlgs mean?

M

Lbtchnlgs
12-04-2006, 12:03 PM
Wow - thanks for the info. So humidity..... if it's snowing or even borderline (like flurries) does that mean that the snow making is more productive? I always assumed it, but never knew for sure.

Hey what does Lbtchnlgs mean?

M

Whether its snowing or not does correlate with snowmaking conditions. Just because its snowing/flurries does not mean that its primo snowmaking conditions because remember it can snow above 32F, and the humidity can still be high. The lower the humidity the better the snowmaking. Low temp (teens) and low humidity is ideal for snowmaking.

Snowmaking generally starts when the air temp is 28F or lower, a degree or more lower if humidity is at high levels at or near 100%

lbtchnlgs=Lib Technologies without the vouls. (A snowboarding company). I was desperate for an AIM screen name years ago and AOL came up with that. It's just stuck ever since

Greg
12-04-2006, 12:44 PM
http://news.alpinezone.com/11673/

Lbtchnlgs
12-04-2006, 02:00 PM
thanks for the read. rail jam sounds interesting

alexcaraco
12-04-2006, 04:17 PM
thanks for the read. rail jam sounds interesting

you gonna be there?
im hearing 2 seperate lines for rails...not much but at least its not the same thing everytime

Lbtchnlgs
12-04-2006, 06:37 PM
There is a possibility- sounds sorta cool. even if i dont plan on competing i would go just to check it out. im glad to hear that they are doing the rail jam thing. have you heard what rails they are going to offer?

alexcaraco
12-07-2006, 03:35 PM
no idea, if i had to guess, id say flat box, battleship rail, flat rail, maybe rainbow box because its easy to move and setup.