PDA

View Full Version : First time to Whiteface!

Bender
12-04-2006, 10:16 AM
So I am heading up to the mountain the weekend of 12/15... I am a very experienced skier going up with a group probably begining - intermediate level skiers and riders. My main intent is to hang out with my friends but I am definitely going to want to sneak away and hit some fun stuff up. Any suggestions on how to get the most out of my fairly limited time on my own?

Thanks!

tjf67
12-04-2006, 10:20 AM
Yeah head for the guns and bring your rock skiis. You wont need them where the guns are but if you want a few shots UTR you are going to get dings this early in the season

Jack the Ripper
12-04-2006, 10:44 AM
So I am heading up to the mountain the weekend of 12/15... I am a very experienced skier going up with a group probably begining - intermediate level skiers and riders. My main intent is to hang out with my friends but I am definitely going to want to sneak away and hit some fun stuff up. Any suggestions on how to get the most out of my fairly limited time on my own?

Thanks!

Too soon to tell right now what expert trails they'll be able to open.

Tsavolion
12-04-2006, 01:24 PM

Thanks!

World Cup Bobsled weekend..fun tree lighting, santa holiday party on the olympic speed skating oval saturday night. you should go and bring your friends and family too!!

wont be very many places to venture off just yet on mtn...slow start to the season. should be some blacks...you'll have to check back next week.

Phineas
12-04-2006, 01:36 PM

Thanks!

One option is to hope for good snowmaking weather and "the face" mtn run and/or wilderness are open. If this is the case you can ride the little whiteface chair - double from mid - w/ your crew. Have them continue to summit on the double and ski excelsior. U get off at the top of mtn run and burn at least two laps of 900 foot vertical steepness. then just meet up at the little whiteface chair.

Northway and/or Essex option - if open take either northway and or essex and have your crew ski excelsior w/ a rendeveous at mid..

WF offers great options for mixed groups...

Bender
12-04-2006, 04:12 PM
awesome- thanks for all the info - yeah my rock skis will be making the trip with me...

AdironRider
12-04-2006, 04:16 PM
What Phin said. The great part of Whiteface is that it provides numerous options down to a central meeting point (in this case mid-station). Dont be worried about splitting up from your group, the natural layout of the mountain will bring you all back together. That being said, I get decent cell service from Verizon on the mountain, so bring a cell phone or 2 way radio if your really worried.

kerovick
12-04-2006, 04:21 PM
I always carry a 2-way radio when I'm on the mountain, even when I'm skiing alone. If all else fails I can talk to myself!