PDA

View Full Version : saranac lake - down to zero degrees

JC7727
12-05-2006, 12:31 AM
I think thats good enough for snowmaking :)

ajl50
12-05-2006, 07:30 AM
It certainly is...I'm just glad they fixed their filter system or whatever so that when the ausable river starts to freeze over they can still pump and blow snow.
Let's go winter!

Lbtchnlgs
12-05-2006, 09:29 AM
It certainly is...I'm just glad they fixed their filter system or whatever so that when the ausable river starts to freeze over they can still pump and blow snow.
Let's go winter!

Wasn't aware of this, could you explain?

ajl50
12-05-2006, 09:35 AM
I beleive they improved their intake system so that when the river has ice in it they can pump more effectively. I believe they did this between 04-05 and 05-06. I could be wrong but I remember somebody explaining this to me becuase they had problems with the very low temperatures freezing up the river and the intake icing up.
Perhaps HPD or Whiteface willy or a more local member could provide more information.

NPN
12-05-2006, 01:49 PM
The main problem is, and was with slush drawn into the intake from the river. Slush clogs that intake, and other sections of the pumping system when the weather is very cold, and/or especially snowy. If you ever get a chance walk into those buildings next to the gondola during a cold snap, and watch the three ring circus required to keep the guns running.