PDA

View Full Version : snowmaking

jimmer
12-13-2006, 03:56 PM
was just wondering what you think of gores snowmaking ? seems to me they kind of dropped the ball when it was cold last week i know its not good snowmaking weather right now ,but they are the ones who brag about there new improved sm all the time yet last week no new trails.seems to me the place should have been lite up like a snowmaking wonderland,it wasnt.and now its raining with no cold for awhile. :cry: :(

Harvey44
12-13-2006, 05:01 PM
I'm sure there must be some reasoning behind it, but I also don't really get it. Last week they worked on Pine Knot to Tannery. Now I know Pine Knot is in many ways the key to the mountain IF you've got extended cold. But anyone with a computer knew that this week was going to be a bust. So why not go for it on Showcase etc. Showcase could easily have been open on Saturday and Sunday if they put effort into it. As it was Pine Knot to Tannery was opened yesterday. By the time this warm spell is over (12/23?) it may be back to square one. Like I said - they must know what they are doing, maybe someone could explain.

Nerdle
12-13-2006, 08:52 PM
well i hope it cools down by this weekend cuz i wanna go skiin'! but odds r ill get there and ill hit i couple rocks then go home and wish i never went...but thats the risk we all take...

Jkilgariff
12-14-2006, 04:35 PM
I don't get it either... Hunter has 20 trails open and claims a base of 0-40" on their website.

kornfein
12-14-2006, 05:00 PM
I was there last Thursday and they were making snow on Pine Knot. I think the choose that because lower on the mountain it was clearly too warm to make snow. Apparently when it got colder they started on Sunway and fixing Wildair. When i went back on Sunday they were blowing snow on Ruby Run and Tannery but again it was too warm to make snow down lower. They probably should have finished Pine Knot / Tannery first before going onto Sunway, suspect the snow down there will melt before this spell of weather ends.

Weatherwise it may be cold enough to blow snow Friday night and Saturday night. The computer models are starting to hint at a return to more normal temps early next week and even an outside chance of some snow around Tuesday / Wednesday.

Harvey44
12-20-2006, 06:58 PM
Hard to figure - they haven't added a trail all week. 3 days of "intensive" snowmaking doesn't get a single additional trail on line? I guess I just don't understand the process.

M

goreviper
12-20-2006, 07:27 PM
:? Harvey has it right. What's up? What the heck does extensive snow making mean, is it just rhetoric? They aren't saying anything on the website as usual. If I get there Friday and find trails closed because they are "saving them" I'll personally start a petition to present to ORDA requesting a change of prorities.

jimmer
12-27-2006, 07:50 PM
just on gores website said they were blowing on headwaters & lower sunway , thays just more intermediate crap wy cant they start on something a little more advanced.were not all beginners. :?: b 8)

BigAirJay
12-27-2006, 08:14 PM
they have blowing on dirt patches on open trails "intensely" and not many other places, because the temp wasn't low enough for efficient snowmaking.

MidnightCarving
12-27-2006, 09:35 PM
does anyone know if they're going to start making snow on hawkeye? how about showcase? twister would be nice i

i geuss what i mean to say is, does anyone know if they're going to start making snow on anything new besides headwaters, or are they just going to touch up what was already opened?

i think gores new years resolution should be to use every snow gun they have on that mountain. I want them to use so many guns that the water pressure is barely enough to keep the guns working.

and i demand to see twister/showcase/hawkeye by the new year. all three would make me forgive them for their sins, and at least one would make me feel neutral instead of angry.

fischerjunkie
12-27-2006, 10:40 PM
Gore cant make snow where they need it because that would make too much sense. :P