PDA

View Full Version : Christmas in Whiteface?

soeursourire
12-14-2006, 10:13 AM
Hi!

I am planning to go skiing for Christmas in Adirondacks. What is the best place to ski: Lake Placid, Whiteface or other?
Where could I find a cool appartment or chalet in the ski station? I would like to find an apartment with one kitchen and one or 3bedrooms... Do you have advices to give me to find such apartments in the ski resort?

Thanks in advance
Sophie

Denison
12-14-2006, 10:47 AM
dont come to Whiteface on Chrismass, weather is not cooperating and there will be alot of people and little of skiing

soeursourire
12-14-2006, 10:56 AM
Oh :( Thanks for the advice... On the webcam it seems that there is snow? Are you sure there will be not enough snow to ski? Because I would have liked to ski here before coming back to France the 1st of January...
Then is Lake Placid a good place to do Christmas (even if we don't ski)?
Where could I find apartment vacation in Lake Placid?

Thanks again

student
12-14-2006, 02:12 PM
We are coming on Christmas too (there are about 20 people in our company who rented houses in advance) and I am worried about the conditions too. The forecast for the rest of this week looks terrible. The webcams shows that the crosscountry ski field does not have any snow at all. I wonder if the same will happen to whiteface slopes in the next three days. The week before Christmas is better but there might not enough time to put the snow back....

ajl50
12-14-2006, 02:18 PM
I think whiteface will be ok. Not great, but ok. Weather beyond the 5 day looks pretty good for snowmaking and there should be some natural stuff between the 19th and 26th. My parents are x-country skiers and i'm a little concerned about their skiing- but they don't need too much to be happy.
the point is-
don't worry, enjoy the vacation. It's not like anywhere you can drive to will have better conditions.

freeheelwilly
12-14-2006, 02:26 PM
It's not like anywhere you can drive to will have better conditions.

I once drove from Albany to Alaska. So there.

Whiteface is not going to "lose all of its snow" in the next 3 days. Buck-up there student. You'll be shredding come Christmas.

And I predict a MONSTER storm on December 23. Or the 27th. One or the other.

ajl50
12-14-2006, 02:59 PM
Albany to alaska- what did that take you- like 5 days?
I had a good friend drive from chicago to anchorage and it took him 4 days.

soeursourire
12-14-2006, 05:07 PM
In Adirondacks is Whiteface the best ski resort? What is the best ski resort to ski and snowboarding in this area?
Please does someone know good places where to spend the weekend (an apartment with a kitchen?)?

Thanks

Denison
12-14-2006, 05:31 PM
In Adirondacks is Whiteface the best ski resort? What is the best ski resort to ski and snowboarding in this area?
Please does someone know good places where to spend the weekend (an apartment with a kitchen?)?

Thanks

check www.adkbyowner.com for rentals

cover
12-14-2006, 06:54 PM
Whiteface top Vertical in the U.S. East, you can't beat it. Weather turns around after this weekend, and come Xmas week, i think you will see some good skiing at the Face

ajl50
12-14-2006, 07:03 PM
cover's right on the weather turning. remember last year when we had a great december and the entire mountain was open by this time. It was great. Then it got warm- six weeks of up and down just snuck up on us right around this time. Well I think we're flipping the script this winter.

Faceplant
12-15-2006, 03:12 PM
You can check with the Visitor's Bureau. The are very cooperative. I'll bet there is a link or a telephone # on the Whiteface website. You're asking a bunch of avid Whiteface lovers if its the best in the A'dacks. Heck, its the best in the east!!!! :D Beats anything in vermont (and vermont is having the same weather problems , or worse). We'll have a lot more coverage by xmas. Just need it to be a little colder.

joyparkway
12-15-2006, 04:43 PM
I live in LP now but when we used to come up for the weekends sometimes we would stay at the Brookside Motor Inn in Upper Jay. Its a short ride to the mountain, a little farther if you want to go into LP every night but not a terrible drive. You can get an apartment-esk place for around $70 a night (maybe a little more this time of year) with two bedrooms, living room, two baths and a kitchen. Its a little outdated as far as decor, but still its clean and cheap and warm.

The Mountain Brook Lodge is also a nice place, right in Wilmington so its closer to Whiteface. I've stayed there a few times also- I think most of the rooms are newly remodeled and around the same price a night.

If you want something right in LP it may be a little hard to find now as I'd imagine most everything is booked through the holidays and pretty pricey.

Hope this helps!

Denison
12-15-2006, 09:15 PM
Hi!

I am planning to go skiing for Christmas in Adirondacks. What is the best place to ski: Lake Placid, Whiteface or other?
Where could I find a cool appartment or chalet in the ski station? I would like to find an apartment with one kitchen and one or 3bedrooms... Do you have advices to give me to find such apartments in the ski resort?

Thanks in advance
Sophie

Sophie, call this guy Rick: http://www.adkbyowner.com/5538.html
He has now thru Dec. 27 available, great new chalet in Jay.
Rates, might be much lower then advertized on that page, he is interested.

Tell him Denis send you.

soeursourire
12-19-2006, 09:29 AM
Hi everybody!

Thanks a lot for your help. Finally after discussion with my friend we will go only in couple to the mountain (2persons thus).
So I cannot take a chalet except if you know a chalet for 2persons there???
I would love an apartment in wood as a chalet but I guess it's too difficult to find that?
They have available apartment in Brookside Motor Inn and cheap (50USD +tax) but I can't find any pictures of the rooms, do you know how look like the rooms there?

Thanks again
Sophie

joyparkway
12-19-2006, 02:46 PM
The rooms at the Brookside are clean and neat but outdated- probably haven't been remodeled since the 70's. For the price you cant beat it- the sheets are clean, the shower is warm, they have a small kitchen with stove, fridge, microwave- and a good size living room attached.
We used to come up every weekend from Albany and stay there, they allowed our dog to stay so it was perfect and close to everything (about a 15 minute drive to Lake Placid and 5 minutes to Whiteface).

Whatever you decide to do, enjoy!

JP