PDA

View Full Version : Conditions???

cmonson
12-17-2006, 11:38 AM
Can anyone fortunate enough to visit the face today give us any conditions? Are they blowing any snow at the summit during the nights? It would be a great help in deciding if I should cancell xmas plans there.

THank you,

12-17-2006, 01:23 PM
Don't get your hopes up. It's 45 and raining at 2100ft. ele. and it has been doing so since 8 this morning and it doesn't look like it is letting up.
Go west young man.

AdironRider
12-17-2006, 01:43 PM
It was raining the entire 2 hours I was there. I didnt mind personally as my nice new DNA jacket is rediculously waterproof (20000 mm or maybe even higher) but it was pretty shitty. Cover is thin on all trails and I hit a bunch of rocks today. Meh, it feels good to be out on my season pass, but Id be pissed if I spent some serious loot on a Christmas vacation.

cmonson
12-17-2006, 02:34 PM
Well called to cancell, can't do it without giving up my $500 deposit...

I guess I'll have to make the best of it.

Hopefully this week coming up gives the face some time to put some snow on during the evenings!

NPN
12-17-2006, 07:51 PM

Hopefully this week coming up gives the face some time to put some snow on during the evenings!

Chin up C! I was there for the last three days, and had great skiing each day.

There's no question after the great steps forward they were able to make yesterday ( they almost pulled off opening Essex after just one day of blowing snow on that trail ) that it was a little depressing to take a step back today.

But temps are coming down consistently in the days ahead, and the mountain is going to knock themselves out to get as much ready for your stay as is snow gun possible.

Regardless of the limited terrain, it's always great to be in Placid, and the High Peaks region, so don't bum out.

You, and yours will have a great time, and I'm very glad to hear you decided not throw your $500 down the drain.

Happy Holidays!

cmonson
12-17-2006, 09:23 PM
Thanks for the attitude adjustment NPD!!! Even the worst day at the face, is a better day than on my couch looking at it!!!

cover
12-17-2006, 11:58 PM
It could be worst! Up here in Ontario, Ontario's largest resort(ok dont laugh cause u cant say large in comparison to WF), but Blue Mountain actually closed today for the first time in recent memory after opening for the season. They had a whole 1 run open for the last 8 days without being able to make snow at any point, and finally it got to thin to remain open. Atleast you guys have something to go out and ski on at WF, here North of the border, there is nothing even opening, and the forecast is not promising leading up to Xmas. :evil:

tjf67
12-18-2006, 08:47 AM
yesterday was the better day of the two. Northways was a blast. Sat it was hard on the feet. Sunday it was mushy smashable. It rained but some of the best conditions is when it is.
They have a nights work on essex and a couple days on mountain run and both of those trails will be open. For whats its worth I think there will be decent skiing over the holidays. Not a ton of terrain but what are you going to do.

Phineas
12-18-2006, 11:23 AM
Can anyone fortunate enough to visit the face today give us any conditions? Are they blowing any snow at the summit during the nights? It would be a great help in deciding if I should cancell xmas plans there.

THank you,

big snow storm on tap for Christmas week.. Cant think of a better place than the ADKs and Lake Placid to be snow bound while MoNat delivers some serious white stuff.

snow making temps 4sure every night this week and mayB some limited round the clock higher up..

fingerCrossX and we'll have Follies off the summit - Excelsior, Essex, Northway and Mtn Run off Little Face

Tsavolion
12-18-2006, 03:07 PM

I wouldnt have recommended cancelling your plans. They were blowing snow on the summit this weekend, as well as essex. it is cold enough this week at night to blow snow. We are supposed to get a couple minor snow falls between now and christmas week. Believe me, Lake Placid and Whiteface live on this holiday week and they are not going to disappoint. granted, they have had a rough time of it, but they will deliver as best as they can. and besides, like phin said, not better place than the adks to spend holiday anyway, regardless. this is the best place to be even if skiing isnt great because there is so much else going on.

student
12-18-2006, 05:05 PM
So far I only see the opposite :cry: . The number of trails is down to 7 from 11 and the weather forecast is only getting worse. I am wondering you anybody knows about the refund policy. We are planning to buy group ticket (for > 20 people) but we would like to return them in case of rain. Is it possible?

freeheelwilly
12-18-2006, 05:15 PM
So far I only see the opposite :cry: . The number of trails is down to 7 from 11 and the weather forecast is only getting worse. I am wondering you anybody knows about the refund policy. We are planning to buy group ticket (for > 20 people) but we would like to return them in case of rain. Is it possible?

Holy Doom and Gloom! Quit your whining - it's gonna be fine. Cold at night all week- they'll have quite a bit up and running including the summit. Where else are you gonna get 3G'+ vert without goin' West? And I saw they closed Northway and Broadway today but I can tell you - there's PLENTY of snow on those trails and they'll be open next weekend. They just need to touch 'em up a bit - it was pretty warm this weekend and there were a few rocks rollin' around. It'll be fine.

AdironRider
12-18-2006, 05:20 PM
Im actually pretty suprised Northway is closed, Upper had the best cover on the mountain yesterday.

freeheelwilly
12-18-2006, 05:35 PM
I don't get it either. Upper northway was sweet yesterday!

tjf67
12-18-2006, 05:48 PM
I don't get it either. Upper northway was sweet yesterday!

It turned into a big ole boiler plate mogel field I suspect.

student
12-18-2006, 08:02 PM
Lol, I checked the whiteface webpage and surprisingly I saw all the trails (albeit called "anticipating condtions") open for the next day. Is this really true or it is just so to attract more people? It seems to me quite a change from just 7 trails today.

highpeaksdrifter
12-18-2006, 09:30 PM
Lol, I checked the whiteface webpage and surprisingly I saw all the trails (albeit called "anticipating condtions") open for the next day. Is this really true or it is just so to attract more people? It seems to me quite a change from just 7 trails today.

It's jusr a mistake. If only it where true.