PDA

View Full Version : Conditions for Christmas week

hammer
12-18-2006, 07:03 AM
Any speculations on what Gore will have open over Christmas week?

kornfein
12-18-2006, 01:17 PM
It depends on the weather :D

Actually I was there yesterday and while I would hardly describe the skiing as good (lots of bare spots). They had made a surprising amount of snow, looked they got caught with a warm up when they did not expect it. In addition to the open trails on their report there was man-made snow on Sunway, Ruby-Run, 3B, Quicksilver and Jamboree. I expect with cold weather for the next few days they should at the least be able to add those to their trail count. by next weekend and hopefully a few more by early next week.

mikebike
12-19-2006, 05:58 PM
Lets remember we are still 2 days away formthe first day of winter :roll:

BigAirJay
12-19-2006, 06:21 PM
Lets remember we are still 2 days away formthe first day of winter :roll:
haha yea everyone is going around blaming a bad winter on global warming, when it is still fall. People dont realize that there is a such thing as a bad winter.

JC7727
12-19-2006, 08:22 PM
meteorological / climatological winter started on dec. 1st.

Hute
12-19-2006, 09:00 PM
well im sorry to say this but global warming is real. Because almost the whole world has a lack of snow. Northern Europe where I come from, there is no snow at all right now. Usually there is a lot of snow by now. On the Alps in middle Europe, they are having the worst winter in thousands of years. Some mountains still have a lot of snow, because global warming affects some areas more than others. And it's shitty. All the scientists might be too serious about this, but global warming is real. With doing things to improve the pollutant emissions, we can stop the warming, but we can't rewind it. But if the global warming is real, in ten years there is not gonna be a lot of snow anywhere, and in couple hundred years, Europe might be under ice age. One important thing would be, that USA would ratify Kyoto Protocol. USA is the most industrialized country in the world, but with Australia, they are the only industrialized countries who haven't ratified it. That would mean about 8% cut of CO2 emissions. Clinton signed it but he didn't ratify it. Bush overdraw it, because they would lose money if they accomplished the requirements. But it's not about just today, it's about tomorrow too. Of course USA's Kyoto Protocol wouldn't solve the Global Warming, but it would make a big improvement. Actually some of the big industries have tried to convince USA government to ratify it. Other good stuff to do would be different kinds of hybrid cars. And it's not just about saving the world with hybrid cars, you can save thousands of dollars in the gas with them. There is a bunch of smaller improvements, that people can make in their everyday life. The hardest part is to get all the people to do all those improvements. Yo, wtf am i talkin about. I totally hope that global warming is not real, and this is just a normal bad winter but i am starting to believe it's true. But yo let's hope it's gonna snow a lot during christmas break. Maybe even a snowday in January. Let it snow. peace.

goreviper
12-20-2006, 07:35 PM
woa up there Hute your gonna get dizzy on that there high horse. :roll:

jimmer
12-20-2006, 07:54 PM
easy there big fellow relax have abeer try not to get so worked up. the skiing is pretty good.

hammer
12-21-2006, 08:42 AM
Any info on where they have been making snow?

I sure hope they can have more than 7 trails open by next week... :?

Lbtchnlgs
12-21-2006, 04:41 PM
Any info on where they have been making snow?

I sure hope they can have more than 7 trails open by next week... :?

They'll have Ruby run open by the weekend along with sunway. As far as i saw thats the only places they were working on. Bear mtn shows no sign of gun activity :cry:

hammer
12-21-2006, 04:53 PM
Better than nothing I guess.

I wonder if Whiteface is doing any better and would be worth the additional drive...main need is for some nice mellow cruisers for the family, so heavy-duty terrain is not a factor.

goreviper
12-21-2006, 08:16 PM
Stay tuned Hammer. I'll be on the mountain bright and early tomorrow and should have the low down on here around 2:30 or so. I'll check out Sunway if they open it. As a matter of fact I'll check every possible combination of runs.

hammer
12-27-2006, 08:23 AM
Any updates would be appreciated...hoping to go on Friday.

Are there any novice runs available from a lift? I'd hate to pay holiday ticket prices and then be limited to a J-Bar... :?

alexcaraco
12-27-2006, 09:56 AM
actually hute japan is way more industrialized right now and burns way more fossil fuels. not to put the blame on someone else, but its not all the evil USA. i agree with you though.

hammer
12-28-2006, 04:49 PM
Drove by and checked it out today...crowded and it didn't look like much cover at the base.

I'd go if I didn't have to pay full holiday ticket prices, but there's no way I'm going to shell out $200+ for my family to deal with crowds, low trail counts, and crappy conditions.

I know the weather has been uncooperative, but couldn't they have made some more snow by now?

Bummer...I really wanted to be able to go... :(

mattchuck2
12-28-2006, 05:08 PM
(post deleted)

alexcaraco
12-29-2006, 09:25 AM
Yeah, you'd think that they could cut people a break and lower the ticket prices a little... Especially considering the lack of terrain open.

On second thought, I already have my pass, and I would like to prevent massive crowds on the days that I do decide to ski. So, maybe ticket prices should be higher . . . hmmmm . . .

If I had to pay for a day ticket, though, I'd save the money and buy myself a plane ticket out west for a week of skiing this spring. The way this season is shaping up, one week out there will be better than 50 days at Gore.

actually last weekend the person at the ticket counter was a little retarded and gave me a ticket for 30$...i wasnt complaining, nor did I bother to correct him.

Hute
01-01-2007, 09:35 PM
I think christmas conditions were great! I spent the whole break at Gore. Finally some natural snow. Sun was shining and i got couple first tracks. Terrain park sucked dick but the trails and the water pipes were awesome. Haha. First time in my love i actually just snowobard down trails. Usually i snowboard trails just to get to the parks hahaa but yeah that was great. good times