PDA

View Full Version : New Year's weekend trail count?

skiseason
12-19-2006, 04:06 PM
skiing whiteface over New Years weekend....forecast looks like they should be making snow most, if not all, of the days leading up to it with a chance of a few inches of real snow....anybody have any guess on how many trails will be open by then and if any summit trails will be open?

highpeaksdrifter
12-19-2006, 04:58 PM
I'll guess about 2/3 of the trails and at least the Follies and Parons from the summit.

ajl50
12-19-2006, 06:27 PM
2/3?
You really think so?
Seems high. I'd be expect and be happy with 50% open and the surrounding area looking like winter.
(that and some natural to keep my parents happy over at mt. van x-country.)

By the way does anybody know if you can hike the jackrabbit rail if there isn't much snow on it?

freeheelwilly
12-19-2006, 07:07 PM
By the way does anybody know if you can hike the jackrabbit rail if there isn't much snow on it?

Definitely frowned upon. They pick those trails clean of rocks so you can ski them with minimum snow. Don't go in there without skis - it screws it up for the rest of us. Why would you want to? Throw on some x-country gear. Way more fun.

ajl50
12-19-2006, 07:18 PM
I would only consider it if there was NO snow on the ground between the lake placid golf course and cascade ski area. I've skied that trail alot and thought it would be a good hike to lead my parents on. Trust me if there is decent snow I'm more than happy to ski it and have a burger and beer at cascade.

freeheelwilly
12-19-2006, 07:29 PM
I would only consider it if there was NO snow on the ground between the lake placid golf course and cascade ski area. I've skied that trail alot and thought it would be a good hike to lead my parents on. Trust me if there is decent snow I'm more than happy to ski it and have a burger and beer at cascade.

Well your original post said "isn't much snow on it" - not "NO" snow. Whatever.

There's much, MUCH better trails than that for a hike. Don't hike on ski trails in the winter. Just sayin'.

And you might want to know: The JR trail between Placid and MacKenzie Pond is a way better ski than where you're talkin' about.

NPN
12-19-2006, 08:37 PM

There is another trail system that runs adjacent to the JR, and is even more scenic for hikers/walkers. You access it by taking the road on the shopping center side of the Comfort Inn ( formerly HOJO ). It is town park property, and there are usually trail maps at the parking area. Unlike the JR, your parents will have a series of information stations at different areas along the trail that discuss the local flora, fauna, and eco-systems. Nice views of the lake, and the back side of Whiteface.

Unlike Cascade, they'll have to provide theirown beers.

Enjoy!

ajl50
12-19-2006, 09:15 PM
I actually think I took that trail ( the HOJO trail) with a group of 10 year olds when I was a camp counselor- it was a great trip the kids loved it. I think we followed it the next day with a hike up whiteface and esther and then ice cream at the old custrad mustard and brew.

In other news- how about the expanding trail count- that's good stuff.

NPN
12-19-2006, 09:34 PM
In other news- how about the expanding trail count- that's good stuff.

You betcha'! You just gotta' have faith, and it will come!

ajl50
12-20-2006, 08:45 AM
My faith is growing. Looks like wintry mix on friday with a little rain to snow on saturday. Could help up top for sure. After that the temps will def. allow for some good snowmaking with there still being a shot at nice natural snowfall right after xmas.