PDA

View Full Version : Old School Schussmeistering

KT22
12-27-2006, 08:47 PM
I recently removed a good set of bindings from a damaged pair of rock skis. I知 thinking of recycling these bindings by mounting them on some old school 205cm racing skis that I知 looking at on eBay. The seller knows the make and model of the skis, but not when originally manufactured. Does anyone know of any source that catalogues skis by manufacturer and year?

jimmer
12-27-2006, 10:36 PM
I recently removed a good set of bindings from a damaged pair of rock skis. I知 thinking of recycling these bindings by mounting them on some old school 205cm racing skis that I知 looking at on eBay. The seller knows the make and model of the skis, but not when originally manufactured. Does anyone know of any source that catalogues skis by manufacturer and year?what are they maybe we can help. but i would say dont waist your money. they pretty much give old straight skiis away. B 8)

KT22
12-27-2006, 10:59 PM
I recently removed a good set of bindings from a damaged pair of rock skis. I知 thinking of recycling these bindings by mounting them on some old school 205cm racing skis that I知 looking at on eBay. The seller knows the make and model of the skis, but not when originally manufactured. Does anyone know of any source that catalogues skis by manufacturer and year?what are they maybe we can help. but i would say dont waist your money. they pretty much give old straight skiis away. B 8)

Yeah, They are practically giving these away. I'm not going to bid more than $15 dollars. I think it would be fun to fool around with these once in awhile - used to ski 195's in the early 90's.
These skis are Fischer RC4 with plasma edge. I did some research after the original post and it turns out that Fischer introduced Plasma edge in 1997. Since these skis are new I am assuming that they probably are from the year before the RC4 line went to a parabolic sidecut - not sure when this was. This would explain the quantity of unsold inventory as the next year痴 model made the previous year's ski obsolete.
I seriously doubt that any historical ski equipment catalogs exist, but I was surprised earlier this year when somebody posted a website of historical resort chairlifts, so you never know.

NPN
12-28-2006, 12:16 AM

Yeah, They are practically giving these away. I'm not going to bid more than $15 dollars. I think it would be fun to fool around with these once in awhile - used to ski 195's in the early 90's.
These skis are Fischer RC4 with plasma edge. I did some research after the original post and it turns out that Fischer introduced Plasma edge in 1997. Since these skis are new I am assuming that they probably are from the year before the RC4 line went to a parabolic sidecut - not sure when this was. This would explain the quantity of unsold inventory as the next year痴 model made the previous year's ski obsolete.
I seriously doubt that any historical ski equipment catalogs exist, but I was surprised earlier this year when somebody posted a website of historical resort chairlifts, so you never know.

Yes, the chairlift thing was me, and I'm sure you can find a similar site for this, but a quicker way out is to call Reliable Racing/The Inside Edge in Glens Falls, NY. They have people who know all that stuff cold.

12-28-2006, 06:44 AM

Not sure where you live but if you live in LP and go to the dump you can find these sitting out by the compactor area. I have a pair but they are cut in half. They make a great pair of coat racks when you double stack them and screw them to the wall. Shipping will be more than the ski price. Good Luck & Happy New Year :lol: :lol: :lol:

KT22
12-28-2006, 05:24 PM

Yes, the chairlift thing was me, and I'm sure you can find a similar site for this, but a quicker way out is to call Reliable Racing/The Inside Edge in Glens Falls, NY. They have people who know all that stuff cold.

That was an interesting chairlift site, cool stuff.

NPN
12-28-2006, 05:31 PM

Did you have any luck with Reliable?

KT22
12-29-2006, 12:25 PM

Did you have any luck with Reliable?

I stumbled onto the info I needed a little while after I made the original post. I wanted to know if these skis were the most modern of the old school type, and since the plasma edge was released in 1997 I think these probably are. Prior to finding this info I had no idea what era these skis belonged to and wanted to avoid buying something really old like 80's vintage stuff. I'm out here in Western NY South of Buffalo and only go to Whiteface every other Saturday after January when the summit is open. I normally drive up, ski for about 5 hours and drive back so I don't have time to check out Reliable - altough much thanks to WW for the tip.