PDA

View Full Version : yesterday

Tsavolion
12-28-2006, 10:11 AM
i think it will be much better by the end of the week as they are blowing nice pow pow. it will only get better as week goes on.

Face4Me
12-28-2006, 04:56 PM
I wouldn't count on much better for the weekend ... I stopped in the parking lot at the mountain today and the only snowmaking I could see was a small handful of guns on Lower Valley near the start of the NASTAR course ... Unless they were making snow higher up that I couldn't see in the clouds, I'm not seeing much evidence of the "improved snowmaking system" Anyone "in the know" have any explanation of why they're not making snow all over the mountain with the colder temps? :shock:

jimmer
12-28-2006, 06:08 PM
I wouldn't count on much better for the weekend ... I stopped in the parking lot at the mountain today and the only snowmaking I could see was a small handful of guns on Lower Valley near the start of the NASTAR course ... Unless they were making snow higher up that I couldn't see in the clouds, I'm not seeing much evidence of the "improved snowmaking system" Anyone "in the know" have any explanation of why they're not making snow all over the mountain with the colder temps? :shock: yea whats up? there supposed to have that new & improved snowmaking down here at gore also, but like up there , theres only a few guns here & there .said they were waiting for cold well its here so blast away.well WHATEVER. happy snowless new year b 8) stay :D

fischerjunkie
12-28-2006, 07:02 PM
they were blowing snow up top on parrons or follies whichever one it was. and blowing some on mt run. they should have blowing it all over the top seeing how the condition made good for it.

Denison
12-29-2006, 09:32 AM
From Thursday's report:
"... we are making snow on Parons Run, Excelsior, John’s Bypass, Lower Cloudspin, Easy Street, Upper Valley, Lower Valley, Runner Up and Brookside."

Tsavolion
12-29-2006, 09:51 AM
From Thursday's report:
"... we are making snow on Parons Run, Excelsior, John’s Bypass, Lower Cloudspin, Easy Street, Upper Valley, Lower Valley, Runner Up and Brookside."

Lower cloudspin and johns bypass---wooo hoooooooo!

this weekend will be much better conditions

freeheelwilly
12-29-2006, 10:20 AM
I'm resolved to get first tracks on John's Bypass and go down in Whiteface lore. Don't bet agin' me. I'm skinnin' up tonight to make it happen. Who's in?

Adirondackskier
12-29-2006, 11:16 AM
I don't think you have to be "in the know" to know that you can't make snow with 34 degree temps at the base.
Whiteface had snowguns on Parons, Follies, John's Bypass, Connector, Lower Cloudspin, Easy Street, Upper Valley, Runner Up, Lower Valley, and Brookside to name a few. Yesterday they opened the summit with 4 trails and today they opened 6 more including connector, Lower cloud, and John's Bypass.

Seriously I know everyone is restless, given what mother nature has dealt the entire East Coast I think Whiteface has done a spectacular job!

freeheelwilly
12-29-2006, 11:36 AM
Doh! They opened John's Bypass and I'm stuck here. There goes my 15 minutes!

This weekend should be excellent. VERY cold tonight - good snow will be made. Lower cloud - Yahoo!

Man when the weather cooperates they can sure make some snow. I can't believe they got all that open so fast.

AdironRider
12-29-2006, 11:39 AM
Up to 25 trails today! Temps are low all day today as well as tonight which should lead to some excellent snowmaking. Hope they can keep up the good work.

Phineas
12-29-2006, 12:19 PM
Summit and Lower Cloud - totally unbelievable!! SnowTribe rocks!! This weekend will be best of the season so far!! Cant wait to hit up the summit quad and get that spectacular view and longest vert in the East!!!

Looking forward to rippen on down parons to the John's Bypass and on over to Lower Spin!!!

Obliviously this summer's snowmaking improvements made an enormous biggie difference given the fact SnowTribe was able to get so much terrain open in the tiniest of windows I can recall due to the last three week's warm temps and high humidity.

Whiteface Willy should apologize for his ill-informed shots about the snowmaking...

Just unbelievable that lower cloud is open - just completely changed my weekend plans!!!

tjf67
12-29-2006, 01:54 PM
I don't think you have to be "in the know" to know that you can't make snow with 34 degree temps at the base.
Whiteface had snowguns on Parons, Follies, John's Bypass, Connector, Lower Cloudspin, Easy Street, Upper Valley, Runner Up, Lower Valley, and Brookside to name a few. Yesterday they opened the summit with 4 trails and today they opened 6 more including connector, Lower cloud, and John's Bypass.

Seriously I know everyone is restless, given what mother nature has dealt the entire East Coast I think Whiteface has done a spectacular job!

Actually there was a show on that stated they can make snow when it is 36 degrees out. So i guess we know who dont know if you know what i mean

campgottagopee
12-29-2006, 02:22 PM

Actually there was a show on that stated they can make snow when it is 36 degrees out. So i guess we know who dont know if you know what i mean

They do that by injecting a bacteria into the water known as "snowmax". What the bacteria does is initiate the act of freezing at higher temp therfore enabling the making of snow at overall warmer temps. Even at colder temps the snow is better qualitiy because it will actually help "freeze" or crystalize all the molecules at a better rate than without it. That's all I know, but I do know that it works well.

Denison
12-29-2006, 04:14 PM
"snowmax" is not a bacteria, but a nasty virus. makes you to take a lot of sick days during ski season. last December i caught one, could not get rid of it until late April
:wink:

highpeaksdrifter
12-29-2006, 04:16 PM
Summit and Lower Cloud - totally unbelievable!! SnowTribe rocks!! This weekend will be best of the season so far!! Cant wait to hit up the summit quad and get that spectacular view and longest vert in the East!!!

Looking forward to rippen on down parons to the John's Bypass and on over to Lower Spin!!!

Obliviously this summer's snowmaking improvements made an enormous biggie difference given the fact SnowTribe was able to get so much terrain open in the tiniest of windows I can recall due to the last three week's warm temps and high humidity.

Whiteface Willy should apologize for his ill-informed shots about the snowmaking...

Just unbelievable that lower cloud is open - just completely changed my weekend plans!!!

Today was by far the best day of the season and Lower Cloudspin was the run of the day. Bluebird skys, snowguns blazing it was great. John's Bypass was tuff on the skis, scraped them up good in there. They blew whales that I'm sure will get groomed out tonight so it will be a less rocky ride.

Conditions got better everyday this week, can't wait till tomorrow.

KT22
12-29-2006, 04:59 PM
"snowmax" is not a bacteria, but a nasty virus. makes you to take a lot of sick days during ski season. last December i caught one, could not get rid of it until late April
:wink:

You never get rid of that virus - you have it for life. It only goes into remission in April.

ajl50
12-29-2006, 05:36 PM
Saw lower cloudspin open today but didn't take advantage as I was taking laps on the summit - parons and the follies were great this morning before 10:30. After 11:30 the place was an ice sheet but before that it was pretty sweet. Been pretty much the same the last three days- great in the morning so hit it hard, then tool around and eat a good lunch.
Taking a break tomorrow and taking a few shopping walks around mirror lake while it snows a little bit so everybody else should enjoy it.
Also I love LP- I get up here and there are some snow covered trees and it's alway so picture perfect- almost made me forget how warm it is in my hometown.
Anyway been rocking some new technica diablo magmas and you'll see a full gear report but suffice it to say - they rock.
Hope all the ski-adk'ers are enjoying this nice stretch of weather ( relative for this winter) and staying safe out there.