PDA

View Full Version : Sat 10am WF webcam

Jack the Ripper
01-06-2007, 10:37 AM
Most depressing f@#king thing I've seen at WF. IT'S JAN 6 FOR CHRIST SAKE. The gods have abandoned us. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Where your optimism now Willy?

P.S. Some drunkard was yapping about the expansion being dead. What's THAT all about? :twisted:

highpeaksdrifter
01-06-2007, 09:23 PM
P.S. Some drunkard was yapping about the expansion being dead. What's THAT all about? :twisted:

I heard from the top today that the expansion is a go. The hope is to get the long blue trail cut this summer.

cover
01-06-2007, 11:50 PM
Herb's Ski Weather Forecast Home
Saturday, January 06 2007 @ 11:47 AM
Contributed by: Herb Stevens

The New Year is here...unfortunately the old weather pattern is still in place...but changes are well underway around the Northern Hemisphere that will lead to a return to more wintry weather where it is now desperately needed...the East. While far northern New York and northern New England resorts managed to grab a fair amount of natural snow during the holiday week, and were able to expand their open terrain somewhat, the rains of the past 24 hours have reached all the way into Quebec, and no one has been immune from the attack of warmth. Snowmaking trails remain open, but even there, the bases are far less than the operators would like to see at this time of year, and in many spots, those bases cannot take much more of this late April weather.

In the short term, the rest of this weekend will be unseasonably mild, and if it weren’t for the abundance of soil moisture, record highs would be far more numerous than what we are going to see recorded. Sunday will be dry, so it will turn out to be a good day for spring skiing in the Northeast. If you are planning on skiing or riding in the mid Atlantic this weekend, be sure to call ahead and check on the operating status of your destination, because Saturday’s rain could very well jeopardize Sunday’s options.

I wish I could say that this weekend’s rain is the last before a change back to cold weather, but that is not the case. On Monday, a coastal storm will spread a round of rain into the East again, with a narrow swath of snow on the northwest fringe of the system...that would likely fall from West Virginia’s mountains through the higher elevations of western Pennsylvania, into upstate New York and northern New England. Again, elevation will play a big role in determining who gets all rain vs. who gets a couple of inches of backlash snow. Behind that system, colder air will move into the region, and snowmaking will resume with a vengeance. An Alberta Clipper will zip through the area on Tuesday night and Wednesday, with an inch or two of snow north of Interstate 80 not out of the question. The cold air will be deep enough to permit round the clock snowmaking all the way into the Poconos on Wednesday and Thursday, with nighttime operations, for the most part, south of there.

Changes in the jet stream configuration will continue during the upcoming week, and by next weekend, we will see a ridge of high pressure building over the west coast of the U.S. and Canada. The polar vortex is finally being dislodged from the pole, which will help set up a cross-polar flow by the week of the 15th. Western Canada is growing colder, and that cold is spreading eastward across the Prairie Provinces, so the air that arrives from the high latitudes won’t moderate as much as in recent weeks. The first shot of cold will flow into the northern Rockies and northern Plains, but low level cold air will also be pressing into the east. With an upper level trough over the Southwest, the flow aloft over the East will continue to be from the west southwest, and as that air overruns cold, dense air near the surface, the stage is set for a series of increasingly colder systems to ride along the boundary. I think that during the week of the 15th, snow cover will be laid down from north to south with time, and sleet and freezing rain will be quite common in the transition zone. One of the analog winters that is very similar to what we have seen thus far in ’06 and ’07 is ’77-’78. Folks in the Northeast, particularly in southern New England, remember the Blizzard of ’78, which paralyzed the region and dumped upwards 54” of snow (Manville, RI). What isn’t so well remembered is the ice storm that preceded the blizzard by a couple of weeks, as the reversal from a very warm December and early January got underway. It would not surprise me at all to see a significant icing event or two as we transition back to winter over the next 2 weeks or so. North of any icing zone we will find more and more snow as the month progresses, and by the 20th or so, it looks to me as though an upper level trough will be anchored over the east, and cold air will be in the region to stay for a while. As long as the southern branch of the jet, reinforced by the weakening El Nino, doesn’t get suppressed too far to the south, we could be looking at a very stormy period in late January and early February. The jet will get pressed to the south as the cold air starts to become more dominant, which will push the mean storm track further south...that means that resorts in the southern Appalachians are going to get their fair share of snow from this turnaround, as well.

Weak El Ninos typically produce back-loaded winters, and indications are that we are going to see that happen once again. The other analog years that most resemble this season, ’57-’58 and ’65-’66, also brought about a dramatic mid-winter reversal to cold that lasted through February and into March, so there is reason for optimism that once the cold air returns, it will dominate for the bulk of the remainder of the season.

In the West, the pattern change is also good news. The Pacific Northwest and far northern Rockies, where heavy snows fell much of December as the Pacific jet roared ashore, have received a good shot of snow in the past several days, on the order of 2-3 feet in the Cascades. More snow is falling today, along with strong winds, so avalanche danger is going to rise rapidly this weekend. The pressing of arctic air into the region during the next week will produce drier snow, but when the upper level ridge takes shape along the west coast in the next week to 10 days, the jet energy will be deflected far to the north. That will effectively shut of the snow for a while in that region, but they have plenty “in the bank” for any dry run that may develop. The southern branch of the jet, again, fueled to some extent by the weakening El Nino, has generated snows in the southern Rockies (and Denver), and that part of the country will continue to pick up its fair share of fresh powder as we move through the winter. It’s the I-70 corridor from Salt Lake City to Denver that worries me a bit, as they look to be too far north for southern branch snow and not far enough east to collect from the Clippers that will move down the east side of the western ridge. I expect powder days to be down north of I-70 from late January onward, but overall, the snow thus far is more than enough to sustain the resorts.

Ski areas that pick up lake effect snow (Michigan, Ohio, western PA, West Virginia, Maryland, and upstate New York) are about to cash in on an unusual mid winter bonanza. Water temperatures are in the low to mid 40’s...more like those found in early November, and very warm for January. When the seriously cold air flows over those lakes later this month, the snow squalls are going to explode, due to the extreme difference between the water surface temperatures and the air at 5,000 feet. Northern Vermont and the Eastern Townships of Quebec are included, too, as Lake Champlain is going to get in this act. We could see some obscene amounts of snow in lake effect resorts...of course, getting to that powder could be an issue to contend with, as well.

While the change to winter will not come in one shot, and the transition promises to be a messy one in many locations, but the message I want to convey in the strongest terms possible is that the change is coming, and it is going to be dramatic to produce some fantastic skiing and riding in areas where that notion is just about unimaginable right now. The season will be a shorter one, to be sure, but we do have some terrific days on the slopes to look forward to in the not too distant future.

Phineas
01-08-2007, 10:52 AM
Most depressing f@#king thing I've seen at WF. IT'S JAN 6 FOR CHRIST SAKE. The gods have abandoned us. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Did U find your Jack?? We saw pops but he was very unfriendly. I think he is going through a mid life crisis..

tell the drunkard that the expansion isnt dead, in fact its been expanded to include a reservoir just past the half pipe that will be filled w/ beer! And beer slides will be installed running off parkway in2 the reservoir. the beer is free to all but anyone caught peeing is banned for life (Gregg will be consulted to draft articles of banning)

freeheelwilly
01-08-2007, 11:09 AM

My optimism is alive and well. Buck up lil' buck-a-roo. This pattern is changing in the next 5-10 days. So says herb stevens (http://www.snocountry.com/article.php/20070106115145658), the powder freak (http://www.firsttracksonline.com/index.php?name=News&file=article&sid=1260), most of the wx-geeks here (http://www.easternuswx.com/bb/) and even the stodgy old conservative NWS (http://www.srh.noaa.gov/fwd/productviewnation.php?pil=BTVAFDBTV&version=0) where they say:

OF NOTE...PAST FEW DAYS...ENSEMBLE FCSTS INDICATE A STRONG TENDENCY
FOR A MAJOR PATTERN CHANGE TO OCCUR ACROSS THE NERN CONUS BEYOND
DAY 7. THE AO...WHICH HAS BEEN SO ANOMALOUSLY POSITIVE SO FAR THIS
WINTER...TO LIKELY TREND SHARPLY NEGATIVE BY LATER NEXT WEEK.
INDEED...OVER THE PAST SEVERAL DAYS...LONGER TERM OPERATIONAL RUNS
OF BOTH THE GFS AND ECMWF HAVE SHOWN CORE OF COLDER ARCTIC AIR
BREAKING OFF AND SLIDING SOUTHWARD TOWARDS REGION TOWARDS THE MIDDLE
OF NEXT WEEK...AND CROSS POLAR FLOW BECOMING MORE ESTABLISHED
THEREAFTER THROUGH THE END OF THE MONTH. THUS A MARKED TREND TOWARDS
MUCH COLDER WX IS BECOMING MORE LIKELY BY DAY 8 AND BEYOND.

Chin up! You're an EASTERN skier! Yellow ice, black ice, stumps, rocks, roots....BRING IT ON!!!

Jack the Ripper
01-09-2007, 07:50 PM
[/quote]Did U find your Jack?? We saw pops but he was very unfriendly. I think he is going through a mid life crisis[/quote]

He did that years ago. Now he's just riding the slope down. I can't WAIT for my midlife crisis. I'd be better than dealing with this freaking weather. I'll be there ride or shine Sat. Hopefully they can at least blow snow.

I know that drunk bastard didn't know sh!t. :twisted:

Jack the Ripper
01-09-2007, 07:55 PM
[/quote] My optimism is alive and well. Buck up lil' buck-a-roo. This pattern is changing in the next 5-10 days. .....................Chin up! You're an EASTERN skier! Yellow ice, black ice, stumps, rocks, roots....BRING IT ON!!![/quote]

That's what you've been saying for weeks. Next week will be better, this website says that, bullsh!t. Look around you. Where's all the snow??? Not even a freaking flake in A town. I realize where I live but even we need some natural once in a while. I need some canada pootang. :twisted:

freeheelwilly
01-10-2007, 09:16 AM
My optimism is alive and well. Buck up lil' buck-a-roo. This pattern is changing in the next 5-10 days. .....................Chin up! You're an EASTERN skier! Yellow ice, black ice, stumps, rocks, roots....BRING IT ON!!!

That's what you've been saying for weeks. Next week will be better, this website says that, bullsh!t. Look around you. Where's all the snow??? Not even a freaking flake in A town. I realize where I live but even we need some natural once in a while. I need some canada pootang. :twisted:

Let's talk in a week to 10 days. 8)

freeheelwilly
01-18-2007, 07:19 AM
Bump

How you feelin' now Jack?