PDA

View Full Version : john's bypass

ajl50
01-08-2007, 04:57 PM
Ok..it's been open a fair time....what do you all think?
I like the trail- had huge snowmaking whales when it first opened.
For my two cents however it needed to be higher up so that people from excel. had to cross over right away to get to it. As it is it seems like people are taking the first hill on excel then darting across the trail to John's bypass and causing more confusion.

NPN
01-08-2007, 05:13 PM
I thought the same thing when I first saw where it was, but, from the few times I've been by there, it seemed like 95% of J'sB traffic was coming off of Paron's, not Excelsior Face.

Face4Me
01-08-2007, 08:37 PM
Ok..it's been open a fair time....what do you all think?
I like the trail- had huge snowmaking whales when it first opened.
For my two cents however it needed to be higher up so that people from excel. had to cross over right away to get to it. As it is it seems like people are taking the first hill on excel then darting across the trail to John's bypass and causing more confusion.

If by the first hill on Excelsior, you mean the hill just below the point where the path to Essex from Excelsior is, I know what you mean. When I was there, I had skiied Essex, then crossed onto Excelsior planning to take Connector across to Lower Cloudspin. The problem was, Crossover was closed (read that roped off), so on my next few runs, I had to come down that hill and then completely cross Excelsior to get to John's Bypass so that I could get to Lower Cloud. Assuming that in the future, Crossover will be open, this may not be as big of a problem.

ajl50
01-09-2007, 10:03 AM
true....
then again if they were to open skyward.....

Face4Me
01-09-2007, 11:52 AM
true....
... there would be much rejoicing!!!

Wa
01-09-2007, 07:26 PM
true....
... there would be much rejoicing!!!

yaayyyy

oldskibum
01-09-2007, 10:59 PM
I don't think you will see conector open from below turn 3, to keep people from coming down parons onto excelsior and causing the congestion that john's was cut to relieve. Too many lower intermediates on excelsior.

Denison
01-19-2007, 08:50 PM
needed trail, a little low on visibility though /^\_/^\_/^\
as for location - orange fence solves potential problems

SKIdds
01-20-2007, 06:36 PM
John's Bypass has definitely pulled a lot of traffic off Excelsior. No way did Excelsior get as skied off today as it usually does. There was some nice powder to be found far left of the top of John's Bypass today. Sweet.

Phineas
01-22-2007, 11:49 AM
I think we should bank the sides on the Bypass and make it pipe like! How cool would that be..

People should not stand/sit below the roller that drops onto the connector though. I must of told a dozen gapers so far that they were in a "bad spot" as I buzzed by them.. Dont understand the stop below the lip crowd??? They must be brain dead from the music blasting in2 thier ears from their little music boxes...

cloudspin
01-22-2007, 12:10 PM
I think the trail needs constant attention. The first pitch, a somewhat "blind" pitch at that, was littered with bodies nearly every time I went by. The ever- present "slow" signs are needed here, together with greater attention from the grooming crew. They have been doing a great job, but IMHO, this little stretch needs some extra TLC.

freeheelwilly
01-22-2007, 12:25 PM
I think john's Bypass is a work in progress. They'll probably do some more grading in there on the offseason. As it is right now it's a lot of fun but there's a lot of carnage in there too. You've got to stick to the edges to find the snow and if you can't do that you're in the ice rink in the middle doin' mach schnell with litlle rollers and kickers all over the place ready to launch you if you hit 'em with stiff legs. It was a pinball machine in there this weekend!

Holds good snow though.

Face4Me
01-22-2007, 04:45 PM
I think john's Bypass is a work in progress. They'll probably do some more grading in there on the offseason. As it is right now it's a lot of fun but there's a lot of carnage in there too. You've got to stick to the edges to find the snow and if you can't do that you're in the ice rink in the middle doin' mach schnell with litlle rollers and kickers all over the place ready to launch you if you hit 'em with stiff legs. It was a pinball machine in there this weekend!

:lol: That's a great description ... I just almost spit coffee all over my monitor!

highpeaksdrifter
03-26-2007, 07:34 AM
I saw a picnic table on the hump, skier’s lift, right before the merge with Connector. I thought that it was a great idea to better take advantage of warm, sunny spring days. Folks can take a break or eat their lunch while soaking up the sun and watching skiers and riders go by. I hope they put more at different parts of the mountain in the future.

Phineas
03-26-2007, 10:38 AM
lean-tos!

and host patrol could bring tourist to the lean-tos for lunch and make sure the Pack it In, Pack It Out policy stays in effect..

how cool would a bunch of lean-tos on the mtn be! No overnights just day use and no plump house gang monopolizing the facilities!

AdironRider
03-26-2007, 12:21 PM
Theres at least one, but you have to find it..

highpeaksdrifter
03-27-2007, 01:17 PM
lean-tos!

and host patrol could bring tourist to the lean-tos for lunch and make sure the Pack it In, Pack It Out policy stays in effect..

how cool would a bunch of lean-tos on the mtn be! No overnights just day use and no plump house gang monopolizing the facilities!

That would be cool, but when it was suggested wasn't it shot down because it would be building perment structures on state land at a certain elevation and it caused an uproar from enviromentalists?

Tsavolion
03-27-2007, 01:22 PM
lean-tos!

That would be cool, but when it was suggested wasn't it shot down because it would be building perment structures on state land at a certain elevation and it caused an uproar from enviromentalists?

i thought the idea of rental cabins was shot down--not lean-tos open to everyone.

highpeaksdrifter
03-27-2007, 01:26 PM
lean-tos!

i thought the idea of rental cabins was shot down--not lean-tos open to everyone.

OK, I gotcha. If it's legal I think it would be great. Functional and they'd look great around the mountain. It would be something no other ski area has that I know of.

Phineas
03-27-2007, 02:32 PM
authentic adirondack! 8)

freeheelwilly
03-27-2007, 02:33 PM
Theres at least one, but you have to find it..

It's been found.