PDA

View Full Version : Lake Placid Lodging

Weez
01-14-2007, 11:25 AM
Looking for recommendations for places to stay in the Whiteface area. I'm debating between the Hilton, Crowne Plaza and Whiteface Lodge. Don't really care about the money end of it but want to make sure my wife (who doesn't ski) has something to do while me and the kids are out skiing. Is there much to do in the town of LP for the non skier? As a first timer coming to LP I don't really know what to expect, I've been to Killington several times but I just dont think there is enough to do there for the wife.

Thanks in Advance
Weez

SKIdds
01-14-2007, 11:47 AM
Let me put it this way. After your visit to LP, if your non-skiing wife yields significant decision making regarding the location of future skiing trips you may never visit anyplace else, in the east at least.

Seriously. LP is great for the non-skier. Get yourself some lodging within walking distance of Main St and she can keep herself shopping and eating to her heart's content. We're talking a real town, too. A very accessible one with a bonafide Main St. that can keep the non-skier occupied without trouble or benefit of a car. Not some Bavarian recreation that has a few places even my richest uncle wouldn't be interested in dropping his money. Quaint shops, a GAP outlet, other popular retail locations. The Cottage at the Mirror Lake Inn. Oh, she'll be plenty happy.

We've skied lots of places. Someplace like Stowe has the quintissential New England town, complete with steeple church and all. However, very little of it is accessible from much of the lodging in the area. The main drag is very spread out and not conducive to walking and window shopping. So my wife didn't care for the place. She loves Lake Placid.

Skating on the Olympic Oval, dogsled rides on Mirror Lake, cross country skiing on the lake as well.......there are even plenty of non-shopping and non-eating options for the non-skier if they are in the village without a vehicle.

jimmer
01-14-2007, 12:23 PM
the hilton lakeside rooms are great, right on the water [well ice anyway] .nice big rooms whith video games for the kids, right at the end of town, easy walking.the rooms are under a parking lot so if it snows you might be woken by snowplows clearing the lot, but not really a big deal. the mirror lake inn is very nice but big $$$$. there are alot to choose from. lp is the best ski town in the east... :!:

whipple
01-14-2007, 12:29 PM
Here are some links that might help http://www.orda.org/newsite/ http://www.lakeplacid.com/flash/home/z-home.htm as for accommodation's you should also look at the Mirror Lake Inn http://www.mirrorlakeinn.com/

Weez
01-14-2007, 01:51 PM
Thanks guys thats exactly what I was hoping to hear!, I looked at the Mirror Lake Inn but some of the recent stuff I read said it hadn't fully recovered from the fire yet but that it would be back to its original status soon. Were these reports outdated or is it still under renovation? Sounds like this will be a great trip.

BTW: Were leaving this Thursday. I know the temperatures have been unseasonably warm, how's the skiing? and is there snow anywhere other than the slopes?

tjf67
01-14-2007, 04:30 PM
Thanks guys thats exactly what I was hoping to hear!, I looked at the Mirror Lake Inn but some of the recent stuff I read said it hadn't fully recovered from the fire yet but that it would be back to its original status soon. Were these reports outdated or is it still under renovation? Sounds like this will be a great trip.

BTW: Were leaving this Thursday. I know the temperatures have been unseasonably warm, how's the skiing? and is there snow anywhere other than the slopes?

Not much but there should be around 6 inches on the ground by the time you arrive.

whipple
01-14-2007, 10:33 PM
According to the weather forecast you should see a foot or more and with the new snow making system thing should great but only about half the trails. It's been a tough winter.

Faceplant
01-15-2007, 10:16 AM
Fire? What fire. That was many years ago unless you are thinking about the fire at the Whiteface Lodge last year. That was a total and miles away.

If you want to pamper your wife, Mirror Lake Inn is the best bet in town.

Weez
01-15-2007, 11:13 AM
Sorry, you're right, kind of :D We're both a little confused, it was actually at the Lake Placid Lodge.

tobnpr
01-16-2007, 07:24 PM
We loved LP so much when we came last year we're coming back next month for a week.
I'd suggest you get the ultimate winter passport. "Must do's" include the Bobsled and Luge. We did the Boblsed last year and it was definitely worth the $, but don't see the need to repeat it- but man, the Luge is absolutely nuts :D It was below zero when we were there last year and the track was FAST- what a wild experience- and we're definitely doing it again! Friendly group up there- we ended up eating lunch with one of the boblsed drivers in the cafeteria there; they've got some stories to tell...

The view from the K120 Ski Jump is amazing- you can climb right out to the bar where the ski-jumpers sit :shock:

As mentioned above the town is great. We're staying at the Golden Arrow again; not fancy but nice and it's connected to the restaurant so no need to bundle up in layers just to eat dinner if you don't feel like going out. Have a blast!

ajl50
01-16-2007, 08:32 PM
Mirror lake inn is great and closer to center of town than whiteface lodge - big plus.
Golden arrow is a great value
Hilton is also good with very nice breakfast included.
Town has tons to do...just walking around mirror lake is amazing ( posting pictures from such excursion whenever i upload pics)
Lots of shopping for wife.
Great spa at the mirror lake inn.

Oh and get the wife to ski- it's not hard anymore...
what's her hang-up?

Phineas
01-17-2007, 09:54 AM
Dude - if U dont care about the cash end then do up the Mirror Lake Inn - Wife could be totally satisfied w/out leaving the Inn!

ajl50
01-17-2007, 10:03 AM
Plus mirror lake inn has free cookies tea and coffee in the afternoon.
I love cookies

Phineas
01-17-2007, 10:10 AM
Plus mirror lake inn has free cookies tea and coffee in the afternoon.
I love cookies

yeah 4got about that aspect! I had a nice cookie on the gondee yesterday - just the boost I needed to keep lapping!

Yesterday's prime route -

Approach to Mtn Run (skiers left for fluff) bang hard to upper parkway (primo ManAmade - thanks SnowTribe) - back to Mtn Run (mid day on hung skiers right for lots O fluff) down through mid (past pump house gang lounging in mid lodge) down to lower valley (total fluff) back up the gondee! Last three runs duck Tom Cat to score the velvet rollers piled high on Drapers!!!!

freeheelwilly
01-17-2007, 10:23 AM
Plus I had a nice cookie on the gondee yesterday -

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Weez
01-17-2007, 04:54 PM
We'll be at the Mirror Lodge Thursday thru Sunday. Looking forward to it!, thanks for all the responses, it's much appreciated.

Tsavolion
01-17-2007, 05:09 PM
We'll be at the Mirror Lodge Thursday thru Sunday. Looking forward to it!, thanks for all the responses, it's much appreciated.

i'm jealous. that place rocks! go to brown dog for dinner!

Weez
01-20-2007, 04:51 PM
Just want to thank everyone for the great recommendation. You guys were dead on the money about the Mirror Lake Inn, the place is great and I'm glad i took your advice. All in all it was a great weekend, the skiing was great, the people were great and the weather was great for 2 days, was brutal today but we got the day in. I will definitely be back here soon, maybe in a few weeks.

Thanks Weez

jimmer
01-20-2007, 05:07 PM
way to go ,glad you had a good time. L.P is hard to beat any time of the year. but the skiing rocks.

Phineas
01-22-2007, 11:40 AM
Just want to thank everyone for the great recommendation. You guys were dead on the money about the Mirror Lake Inn, the place is great and I'm glad i took your advice. All in all it was a great weekend, the skiing was great, the people were great and the weather was great for 2 days, was brutal today but we got the day in. I will definitely be back here soon, maybe in a few weeks.

Thanks Weez

your welcome. glad U had a good time! Feb/March is awesome skiing here!