PDA

View Full Version : Upper Skyward v. Upper Cloudspin

highpeaksdrifter
01-17-2007, 01:36 PM
Which do you like better?

Tsavolion
01-17-2007, 02:23 PM
Which do you like better?

I would have to say upper cloudspin, although both right now sound awesome. it does depend on conditions, but cloudspin definitely more fun. last year it was awesome all season. I remember a day when two people i know ducked the rope just before they opened the trail up and it was heaven!

cloudspin
01-17-2007, 02:30 PM
My vote is for Cloudspin. Great terrain variety and pitch. Niagara is always there to test you out if you believed you di a great job up top.

ajl50
01-17-2007, 02:34 PM
skyward is more often open...

freeheelwilly
01-17-2007, 02:41 PM

So what?

Phineas
01-17-2007, 02:57 PM
Love UpperCloud - gets all the snow blown over from the slides!! skiers right on upper cloud is pow heaven

fav run though is Spin2Sky - upper cloud down to lowerswitch back across to skyward and down the crossover loop loff the launcher, stick the landing and finish it off w/ lower Sky!!

Denison
01-17-2007, 03:19 PM

In 5 years I've been skiing Whiteface, I do not remember skiing Upper Cloudspin - it always seems closed, so my pick is Skyward.

Do they make snow at Upper Clowdspin?

Tsavolion
01-17-2007, 03:39 PM
Love UpperCloud - gets all the snow blown over from the slides!! skiers right on upper cloud is pow heaven

fav run though is Spin2Sky - upper cloud down to lowerswitch back across to skyward and down the crossover loop loff the launcher, stick the landing and finish it off w/ lower Sky!!

mee toooo!

freeheelwilly
01-17-2007, 04:16 PM
In 5 years I've been skiing Whiteface, I do not remember skiing Upper Cloudspin - it always seems closed,

Then either your timing is awful or you're not paying attention.

so my pick is Skyward. huh? If you've never skied one of the choices, shouldn't you abstain from voting? OK, New Rule (I would have thought it obvious but...whatever): If a poll asks you to compare A to B - and you've never experienced "B" - then you're not qualified to vote in the poll because doing so skews the results.

Yes

AdironRider
01-17-2007, 05:05 PM
Cloudspin is a cool trail but they neglect it to much to make it all it can be. Skyward is a good trail, sees alot more snowmaking coverage, and usually has better conditions so it gets my vote. If your talking ideal conditions on both then Cloud, but it never gets that way.

Jack the Ripper
01-17-2007, 09:11 PM
In 5 years I've been skiing Whiteface, I do not remember skiing Upper Cloudspin - it always seems closed,

Then either your timing is awful or you're not paying attention.

so my pick is Skyward. huh? If you've never skied one of the choices, shouldn't you abstain from voting? OK, New Rule (I would have thought it obvious but...whatever): If a poll asks you to compare A to B - and you've never experienced "B" - then you're not qualified to vote in the poll because doing so skews the results.

Yes

Creating rules is Greg's domain. You working for him now? :shock: :lol: :twisted:

ComeBackMudPuddles
01-18-2007, 06:21 AM
Upper Skyward is far and away the superior trail, IMHO, especially if you like to link short turns together.

Upper Cloud has a nasty double fall line that makes it hard to ski the trail in one shot without either traversing once or twice or fighting the fall line the whole way down. Such skiing may be good for GS skiers, but I'm more of a short radius turn skier. I'm all for adapting to the challenges of the terrain, but I think the trail wasn't cut properly for the type of skiing I like. On Upper Sky one gets a constant pitch AND variations in terrain that you can ski in one long rush. But, as with some other Whiteface trails (e.g., Wilderness), a substantial amount of character was lost when Upper Skyward was widened too much.

In Upper Cloudspin's defense, at least the powers that be let the trail get bumped up occassionally.

The best run from the top (not counting The Slides) is Upper Skyward to Niagara to Lower Cloudspin.

highpeaksdrifter
01-18-2007, 08:58 AM
Upper Skyward is far and away the superior trail, IMHO, especially if you like to link short turns together.

Upper Cloud has a nasty double fall line that makes it hard to ski the trail in one shot without either traversing once or twice or fighting the fall line the whole way down. Such skiing may be good for GS skiers, but I'm more of a short radius turn skier. I'm all for adapting to the challenges of the terrain, but I think the trail wasn't cut properly for the type of skiing I like. On Upper Sky one gets a constant pitch AND variations in terrain that you can ski in one long rush. But, as with some other Whiteface trails (e.g., Wilderness), a substantial amount of character was lost when Upper Skyward was widened too much.

In Upper Cloudspin's defense, at least the powers that be let the trail get bumped up occassionally.

The best run from the top (not counting The Slides) is Upper Skyward to Niagara to Lower Cloudspin.

Good post, but I ski those trails the exact opposite as you.

Like you said U. Sky is wide and groomed so I think that type of terrain lends itself to curving fast GS turns.

U. Cloudspin is much more technical of a trail plus it is usually not groomed. I turn a lot more on UC then US. I don’t fight the double fall line, I make it work for me. You never have to ski that trail the same way twice. You can stay on top if you want and drop down the other fall line anytime you feel like it. It gets bumped up nice and pow blows in even when it hasn’t snowed in awhile. A lot of ways to have fun on UC.

freeheelwilly
01-18-2007, 09:11 AM
Word up HPD 8)

Phineas
01-18-2007, 10:14 AM
Upper Sky is an eastern racing boulvard while Upper Cloud is a western style slope and I for one hope Upper Cloud stays that way! Best skiing outside of the trees or slides is Upper Cloudspin!

Phineas
01-18-2007, 10:17 AM

tjf67
01-18-2007, 10:45 AM

YUP! was looking in there on the other day. Not ready yet

Phineas
01-18-2007, 10:54 AM

NW winds on Sat will help skiers right edge but we need a big one!

95% I am skiing 2morrow - U?

tjf67
01-18-2007, 11:15 AM

Afternoon. 1 on. Going to try and get the boot worked on tonight.

Phineas
01-18-2007, 11:46 AM

cunningham's right??

joyparkway
01-18-2007, 01:40 PM
u all suck. i'm stuck down in godforsaken westchester with all the snobbies until saturday. i want to ski i want to ski i want to ski!

Tsavolion
01-18-2007, 02:02 PM
u all suck. i'm stuck down in godforsaken westchester with all the snobbies until saturday. i want to ski i want to ski i want to ski!

i have only seen you at the mountain twice this year and only once skiing--what up with that?

joyparkway
01-18-2007, 03:29 PM
i've skied 8 days so far this season. not ideal but still not bad all things considered. thats what happens when you have a non holiday pass- suddenly every day seems like a damn holiday!

tjf67
01-18-2007, 08:12 PM

cunningham's right??
I went there and did not get a good feeling. They spent 1/2 hour telling why I bought the wrong boot. May be the guy was having a bad day but I dont need that.