PDA

View Full Version : Is it true??

cmay218
01-20-2007, 07:59 AM
12"??? Is that a true estimate or did they measure some snow drift at the top of the mountain? Someone who was there today please report back (preferrably someone who is not on the mountain payroll). I'll be there in 2 weeks...hopefully the snow keeps coming. I would be sooo stoked to get a powder day in while I'm there.

Adirondackskier
01-20-2007, 12:34 PM
Yeah it iis true and 16" at the summit. I skied this morning and was pretty chilly and windy. Some trails the wind swept away the snow, but you could see when they were shoveling at the base it was a foot. The summit was amazing for first tracks and then got pretty bumped up fast. I think tomorrow will be great! the mountain should be in great shape when you get up here in two weeks. guns are blasting on skyward, and the top of parons opened today

Weez
01-20-2007, 04:46 PM
I agree with what Adirondack posted. The skiing was great this morning but the winds were brutal, by the end of the day the snow was blown away and there was quite abit of ice. Between the wind and the temperatures it was a tough day of skiing after lunch. There is definitely a nice base on the mountain though, I think you will be in good shape in 2 weeks.

SKIdds
01-20-2007, 06:27 PM
I'd buy 12". The website is updated to show 16". That may be a stretch. With the wind it is hard to tell. There are places I skied 12 " of fresh today, and there are other places I skied a lot of wind blown powder. In any event, the mountain is in pretty good shape, considering. Heck, other than Skyward not being open yet it's in good shape, period. There is typical Whiteface boilerplate underneith, but there were some good turns to be made today. The wind was brutal, but the gondi was O...P...E...N. I like to keep to the edges of most trails and there was plenty of pow for the taking. Some trails were tough as you navigated the boilerplate between the piles of powder. Yeah, tough, isn't it? I was tempted to poach Skyward, and it was obvious someone has been down Empire in the not too distant past, but I resisted.

Winter is back, get ready for a good second half.......and as soon as the Slides are skiable my brother an I are on the way. I'll have the morning on the mountain tomorrow before it's off to Kids Campus to ski with the little ones.

Oh, and I've now won fleece in the Cloudspin Lounge the last two years running the weekend after MLK. I got robbed last year when I won the frozen t-shirt contest and I got fleece instead of the skis. They didn't see enough product to give away the skis......go figure. This year it was the second to last giveaway when I scored fleece in the mummy contest.

The band was pretty good today, and that wasn't just the Ubu Ale speaking.