PDA

View Full Version : TR: 1/21/07

slayer
01-21-2007, 07:54 PM
Went up to Gore today, 1/21 Sunday. Temps were about 0 at the base, -5 or so at the summit with wind chills around -20 or so. Other than the cold, the weather was fantastic. The views of the high peaks to the north were absolutely spectacular.

Now to the skiing: Very good overall. I was glad to see how well the recovered since my last trip there 2 weeks ago. No bare spots on open trails that I could see. Some icy spots here and there but nothing major.

Hawkeye was closed all day. It looked in need of some repair, with some large ice spots seen from the quad. Topridge and Tannery were closed due to a malfunction with the triple chair. Around 1:30 or so they began bombarding Hawkeye with snow guns, primarily from the headwall down. Above the headwall it looked like fresh ungrooomed man-made already.

The trail of the day was definitely Twister. They had guns going from basically the glade entrance on down. The whole trail was "powder" of the man-made variety... very soft, no ice lots of fun. Anyone going Monday morning should hit Twister first.

Saddle Lodge on down to the triple chair was hardpack, but that is expected for that area after winds.

From what I could see, other trails such as Chatiemac, Hullabaloo, and maybe Darby could be opened with a day or two of snowmaking each.

All in all, a great January day (if you don't mind limited summit terrain).

Harvey44
01-22-2007, 12:34 AM
What happened on Hawkeye on 1/20 was tragic. They blew snow all afternoon on the headwall. Two of the guns somehow were producing water and ice instead of the sweet manmade that the other ten guns were putting out. Not sure how it happened and for the life of me I couldn't understand why they didn't put a stop to it. Oh the horror.