PDA

View Full Version : Not really a TR: 1/19- 1/21

Harvey44
01-22-2007, 09:19 AM
Can't really call it a trip report, because I'm not good with details or days. Here's what I can remember.

All three days, coverage on any thing that was open was very good - no rocks and a nice surface. They were fairly aggressive with snowblowing, which is great for me. No matter what run I'm planning on doing if I see a gun I ski right toward it.

Friday- they weren't running the triple, which is a hassle for when you are on teles - riding the Gondi all day is a lot of work getting in and out of the bindings (want some cheese with that whine?) The summit was awesome for ambience - it snowed Thursday night and at the summit pretty much on and off all day Friday. Heavy at times - it was fun to be there. Open Pit was the place to be all weekend, no ice just white lightning. And Headwaters was deluxe too - with lots of manmade. In the afternoon they put guns on the Hawkeye headwall and most of the upper part - The Hawk was actually better in the afternoon except where they were making ice. Two guns were trashing the lower headwall and the flatter part under the lift.

Saturday - Snowed again Friday night - like 2 or 3 inches at our place (2000'). Ok now the triple was open but the wind was screaming. My first ride up it was zero at the saddle and the wind was outta control. I was fine except for my lips which are toast now from Sat and Sun combined. CB and I invented a "huddle" thingie to get through the worst part at Pole 24. HAWKEYE was now CLOSED. Showcase opened - heard it was sweet first thing with fresh on top, but I was up doing schelp runs on Open Pit which was really the highlight of the weekend - no ice.

Sunday - the high temp for Sunday at our place was at midnight on Saturday. 20 degrees. When I got up at 6am it was 11, when I left for the mountain at 7 it was 5. It had to be zero all day. Started by riding the Gondi to try to see if Hawkeye was open. Nobody at Gore seems to know the status of things. Three round trips on the Gondi and Pine Knot was still roped. When I came down Twister wasn't open, so I popped into the saddle to warm up and do some business. Right as I came out they lowered the rope on Twisty - I think I was the first one in, other than patrols. It was incredible. The whole lower half was being pummeled with snowmaking.

All in all - other than the Hawkeye debacle - it was a great weekend at Gore. More as I think of it.

Mark

Lbtchnlgs
01-22-2007, 11:38 AM
that seemed like a good report to me- ill be looking for a report on hawkeye as im eager to see what happens with it after hearing the horror story that happened there

luv2cruz
01-22-2007, 07:40 PM
The snowmakers blew fresh on hawkeye all night and was good to go today. :D Everyone had a great time up there. The cruzing was fantastic on the east side. The natural snow on top of the man made was nice. It snowed all day so there could be freshies on the mt again tomorrow! I'd have to say Twister was the pick of the day after all that powder was made. The cruzing was fast. Luv2 8)