PDA

View Full Version : Tannery Lounge Opinions

Adk Keith
01-23-2007, 08:54 AM
So my girlfriend and I are skiing on Saturday and take a break for lunch. Not able to find a space in the lodge we went into the Tannery and took a table in the back corner. There were other tables open the entire time we were there. The waitress came by and my GF ordered a drink and I declined. While she had her drink we pulled out a couple of wraps from home and ate them. While we were eating them the waitress came by and said " you know this is a restaurant and you shouldn't be eating here unless you bought it here" or something to that effect. I haven't drank in the last couple of years but prior to that I used to sit at the bar, drink beer and eat my p, b and J with no problems at all.

This pissed me off. First of all we did patronize the establishment; Secondly this is state land that they only have a consession agreement for, so I'm not sure they have the right to kick anyone off regardless of whether or not people are buying anything.

I probably will call Gore but I was wondering what you think?

Harvey44
01-23-2007, 09:03 AM
When I started reading your post, before I got to the end I thought - "hey that's a GREAT idea" until I heard the outcome.

She may make 2 bucks an hour and relies on tips?

That does seem pretty non-Gore to me. The place is usually pretty friendly I think. They definately need more tables. Maybe a place to eat on Bear or the summit. They could use a restaurant on Bear to serve leaf peeper season too.

Actually I met some folks who use the warming hut at the summit for bring your own lunch.

Mark

alexcaraco
01-23-2007, 10:46 AM
That does seem pretty non-Gore to me.

no no...that sounds pretty gore to me.

i like the bear lodge idea.

mattchuck2
01-23-2007, 04:15 PM
Sorry, buddy, I have to disagree with you. You wouldn't carry a bag lunch into a nice restaurant, would you? As overpriced as the Tannery is, it still tries its best to have a restaurant-type atmosphere. If they let any old shmuck bring in his wrap sandwiches from home, it would cease to have that atmosphere. Yeah, it sucks, but it's just something you're going to have to deal with.

rossi
01-23-2007, 09:39 PM
i had the same thing happen to me and my friend. we went in there cuz the lodge was packed and there was only 10 people in there so we grabed a seat in the corner so we could warm up. no sooner we get all our stuff off the waitress comes up and askes if we're waiting for are parents. when we say no, she says we cant stay in there. it sucked!!

mikebike
01-23-2007, 09:56 PM
You should not take a bag lunch into the Tannery.... there are plenty of tables up & down to brown bag
Pretend you are in Europe and share a table

and as to the second thing KIDS can not hang out in a bar... not allowed by LAW

Wa
01-24-2007, 12:35 AM
You should not take a bag lunch into the Tannery.... there are plenty of tables up & down to brown bag

and as to the second thing KIDS can not hang out in a bar... not allowed by LAW

Actually the state law is 16 to be in a bar. Its up to the bar to set their age policy. Usually its 18, 21, or 25 based on 2 things- the type of crowd they want to draw and insurance.

Dr Skimeister
01-24-2007, 09:12 AM
A bit off topic, but...is the food any good at The Tannery? I've never eaten there-always brown-bag and eat downstairs.

mattchuck2
01-24-2007, 06:16 PM
It's not bad . . . the Nachos and Wings are good . . . I don't remember the Burgers being great . . . The have a quality Roast Beef Sandwich, but I forget what they call it . . . They use those hokey names like "The Adirondacker".

NPN
01-24-2007, 08:03 PM
Pack it all up to Saddle, and spare yourself the annoyance! Better crowd, better view, and a nice fireplace. But I do like the new entrance to Tannery as I've said before.

Adk Keith
01-25-2007, 01:27 PM
Thanks everyone for your opinions. I guess I was looking at it from a "This is public property" view.

So I guess there is no way to enjoy a drink with your own food unless you take it out on the deck.

Sorry, buddy, I have to disagree with you. You wouldn't carry a bag lunch into a nice restaurant, would you? As ridiculously overpriced as the Tannery is, it still tries its best to have a restaurant-type atmosphere. If they let any old shmuck bring in his wrap sandwiches from home, it would cease to have that atmosphere. Yeah, it sucks, but it's just something you're going to have to deal with.

You're right I wouldn't carry a bag lunch into a nice restaurant, this however is a bar and we did purchase a drink. As as far as the old shmuck remark... well ... I'm not that old! 8)

I have no problem sharing a table. If you read my post however it states, we were "not able to find a space in the lodge". Just wanted to clear that up.

Thanks again.

Keith

fujative.
01-27-2007, 08:54 PM
Don't sweat the small stuff. I usually go and hang out in the bar since I'm not old enough to drink yet, and they don't have a problem with that, but usually our friends and there families are there and most of them are notable employees there so that might have something to do with it. and if its not a miserable day, the warming hut can be a great place to eat your lunch secludedly.