PDA

View Full Version : SKYWARD!!

ComeBackMudPuddles
01-23-2007, 11:53 AM
January 23: Skyward opens!!

http://whiteface.com/conditions/

"Upper Cloudspin Niagra" is also open.... I didn't know Whiteface "officially" referred to that section of the trail by its nickname from the Olympic days. Good stuff!

I assumed that section of Cloudspin was nicknamed "Niagra" after the falls, in which case it should be spelled N-i-a-g-A-r-a with a "A" before the "R." Is there another story, or just a mistake?

highpeaksdrifter
01-23-2007, 12:37 PM

I assumed that section of Cloudspin was nicknamed "Niagra" after the falls, in which case it should be spelled N-i-a-g-A-r-a with a "A" before the "R." Is there another story, or just a mistake?

They're are 8 million stories in the naked city, but I don't know that one.

Phindog will probably know, he knows all sorts of useless information.

Tsavolion
01-23-2007, 02:18 PM

They're are 8 million stories in the naked city, but I don't know that one.

Phindog will probably know, he knows all sorts of useless information.

Phin dog is too busy skiing niagra today. it looked nice on sunday. i wanted to poach through the smiley face traverse!

AdironRider
01-23-2007, 04:23 PM
Man was today good. I got first tracks (well first of the public) down skyward today just as they dropped the rope. Amaaaazing. Great coverage across the whole trail. Moguled up pretty good by the end of the day, but with a good groom it will be set for the rest of the season.

freeheelwilly
01-23-2007, 04:33 PM
C'mon! Tell us more! How was lower Wilderness? Niagra? How was the snow? was the headwall at the top of sky its usual boilerplate? How about the spruce snow fields at the top of sky - skier's right? details please!

AdironRider
01-23-2007, 04:54 PM
Blowing snow on wilderness all day and its shaping up well. Snow all over the mountain (except that congestion point at turn 1 of excelsior) was soft. Niagra had some mean man made features but was fun none the less. No ice at all on the headwall but it was somewhat firm, styrofoam type snow. Didnt venture into the snowfields, seemed like the manmade was just hiding some rocks beneath. Ill post a full TR either tonight or tomorrow morning do not fret.

But as if it matters, get out there! Best day of my season so far was today and it should only be getting better.

freeheelwilly
01-23-2007, 05:09 PM
Best day of my season so far was today and it should only be getting better.

Did you ride Saturday?

tjf67
01-24-2007, 09:10 AM
Took 5 runs down sky. It was steep, bumpy and soft. Lots and lots of snow with all sorts of crazy swales. Could not really rage with my heal but it was set up to. On skier right 1/2 way down there was one good drop. About 5 feet but you had to clear a big rock on the other side. i did that twice. They are filling it in now with snow so it wont be there this weekend. Niagaria had some crazy swales getting to it but it was soft. Had to stay middle to the right as they had the guns pulled pretty far out. No poaching but it was probably not a bad day for it.
Brought the boot back in for more work.

ajl50
01-24-2007, 09:28 AM
were the guns going on skyward down by ladies drop and victoria shoot?

tjf67
01-24-2007, 09:45 AM
were the guns going on skyward down by ladies drop and victoria shoot?

Yes

ajl50
01-24-2007, 02:59 PM
Nice.
14 days and I'm there.