PDA

View Full Version : This weekend

Adirondackskier
01-28-2007, 06:13 PM
was amazing!!! Unbelievable snow, gorgeous gorgeous weekend. Did anyone end up on the summit above the clouds on Sunday? wonderful views! I still cant get over the amounts of snow on skyward. The mountain is in great shape! Bravo to snowmakers and groomers way to go!

freeheelwilly
01-29-2007, 09:23 AM
Great weekend 8) The entire mountain was skiin' great (with the exception of Northway yesterday afternoon but that may have been me. Also - Lower Cloudspin was a bit skied off).

upper mac will be open any day now so besides upper cloud and the glades that's it - the whole mountain will be open. (Empire? C'mon Empire never opens). And upper cloud seems to be gettin' close. I saw some tracks in there. 8)

Really unbelievable when you consider where we were a few weeks ago.

Caught last chair yesterday and hit parkway from burton's cutoff. The snow skier's right on the pitch right before Draper's was knee deep! What a way to end the weekend.

Tsavolion
01-29-2007, 09:57 AM
Great weekend 8) The entire mountain was skiin' great (with the exception of Northway yesterday afternoon but that may have been me. Also - Lower Cloudspin was a bit skied off).

upper mac will be open any day now so besides upper cloud and the glades that's it - the whole mountain will be open. (Empire? C'mon Empire never opens). And upper cloud seems to be gettin' close. I saw some tracks in there. 8)

Really unbelievable when you consider where we were a few weeks ago.

Caught last chair yesterday and hit parkway from burton's cutoff. The snow skier's right on the pitch right before Draper's was knee deep! What a way to end the weekend.

weekend was awesome--no doubt! upper northway was definitely the trail to avoid. the full sky was the way to go for sure--big bumps and major leg burner! i almost made it to the end yesterday but when i crossed my tips on the side of thruway and launched my ski into the woods, i felt it was time for me to quit. phineus's bro from Colorado was home this weekend and thought conditions at whiteface were awesome. He was just going to ski half a day but stayed til the end--now that tells you something!

SKIdds
01-29-2007, 10:56 AM
Any thoughts on the glades and Empire opening? If you ask me, based on the latest pics on the whiteface website I bet they are thinking the Slides might not be far off.

Not that they are at all comparable, but there was plenty of snow a week ago for the kids to romp through the woods on Golden Glade over at Kids Kampus, so in well cleared glades things are getting covered. Enough to cover the pitches in Cloudsplitter? Maybe not yet. Anyone think it's getting close?

As for Empire I think they are always too conservative. Plus, there is no reason for Empire to be closed if the Cloudsplitter Glades are open. If there is enough snow for the glades there is enough for Empire. Not to mention the fact that sooting far right in the glades gets you onto upper Empire anyway. They need to drop the rope on Epmire more often, IMHO. Best trail on the mountain.

AdironRider
01-29-2007, 11:18 AM
Empire has some nasty stuff lurking beneath the snow so they need a bunch to get it to open. Cloudsplitter glades can be opened up earlier though if you ask me. Someone I know might have poached on Sunday, and that same someone might have thought they were decent. However, open em up to the public and theres no way they could sustain the traffic.

SKIdds
01-29-2007, 12:07 PM
Empire has some nasty stuff lurking beneath the snow so they need a bunch to get it to open. Cloudsplitter glades can be opened up earlier though if you ask me. Someone I know might have poached on Sunday, and that same someone might have thought they were decent. However, open em up to the public and theres no way they could sustain the traffic.
Fair point, but can what's lurking under Empire be all that different from what is lurking on the adjacent Cloudsplitter Glades? Yes, Empire is a marked trail, as opposed to a glade, so more yahoos might attempt it than might go into Cloudsplitter......but keeping a skiable trail from those who can enjoy it just to protect the other idiots from themselves........well, you violate the Code you suffer the consequences. So is that why Empire never opens, to protect the stupid from themselves?

I know "someone" who has poached Empire as well in years past, from what I hear on about some of the best wind blown powder days one could imagine, and from what I hear the trail was easily skiable for anyone who legitately belongs on a narrow black diamond trail.

Tsavolion
01-29-2007, 12:19 PM

i dont think cloudsplitter glades looked ready this weekend. "someone" may have poached, but a few poaches would have skied it off and i am sure "someone" had a few nicks to the bottom of their skis.

empire has some pretty big boulders on it. they need a bunch of natural snow to open.

ajl50
01-29-2007, 01:33 PM
This is all great to hear. What are the chances upper cloudspin opens after mackenzie?

freeheelwilly
01-29-2007, 01:52 PM
This is all great to hear. What are the chances upper cloudspin opens after mackenzie?

Pretty good if Friday's storm hits. Huh? What? Did somebody say something about a storm Friday? Shhhhh....

Tsavolion
01-29-2007, 02:04 PM

it looked like pretty good coverage on lower upper cloud this weekend...i mean from a distance.

ajl50
01-29-2007, 03:08 PM
Shhhh....don't you talk about friday. The weather has just been toooo good for people to be talking about future storms.
will only jinx it.

tjf67
01-30-2007, 09:05 AM
For sure the best weekend so far. Lots of fun.