PDA

View Full Version : the 3.5 mile challenge

AdironRider
01-29-2007, 11:24 AM
So first and foremost, I dont want anyone doing anything stupid or unsafe, etc. Just need to cover the bases to please the powers that be.

So I propose the 3.5 mile challenge. I was there last tuesday and was enjoying no crowds and pristine snow and thought I would challenge myself. I thought I was far enough into my season to make a top to bottom run, no stops over the full 3.5 miles. I took Parons, to Excelsior, to Summit Express, to Broadway, to Boreen. It was burner but I felt good. So next run up I timed myself. Made it down in 4:52 (which is averaging like 40 mph I estimate - not bad for a board). Anyone up for a little harmless fun, whats the best you can do?

freeheelwilly
01-29-2007, 11:39 AM
I prefer Parrons to lower Essex to lower northway to on ramp to lower mac to lower valley to drapers and out. I'll time it next time.

SKIdds
01-29-2007, 12:19 PM
I did it three times in the am two Sundays ago. Let me tell you, I was sore until the following Wednesday!!!. Once I hit Parons, to Excelsior, to Summit Express, to Easy Street, to Boreen, to Silver and Easy Acres to check on the kiddies in ski school. Back to and up the gondi, over to the summit quade, then Parons, to Excelsior, to Upper and Lower Valley and back to the gondi. With the lines it was 40 minutes from gondi to gondi. Last painful run was Parons, to the Bypass, to Lower Cloud, to Easy Street, Boreen, and Silver back to Kids Kampus to meet the wife and get the 3 year old on the snow. I debated not doing it that last time, but the snow was too good. Particularly on Parons. On the second lap I should have stopped at the summit quad and gone back up, but the warm gondi ride was very welcome.

I didn't time each run to the second, but I was watching the time closely as the aforementioned wife was on the way and I was looking at deep doodoo if I was late. Each was somewhere between four and five minutes.

Tsavolion
01-29-2007, 12:22 PM
thats what we call it== some of our names for trails are clever, but that isnt one of them.

ajl50
01-29-2007, 01:37 PM
There is nothing like a summit to base whiteface run to make you appreciate what bode and those guys do. The first time i went top to bottom non-stop i was drenched and exhausted. How they do that distance is 1:42 blows my mind.
My girlfriend and I were just talking about how long it would take us...we're pretty conservative when it comes to speed but based on what you all are saying I think we'll start shooting for eight minutes for parons-connector-lower cloudspin-upper valley-drapers.

Less if we do skyward.

Denison
01-30-2007, 12:20 PM
I'm in, but i do not want to ski Parons-Excelsior route - great chance to get stopped by patrol, I'd rather do Skyward/Lower Cloudspin to Upper/Lower Valley.

freeheelwilly
01-30-2007, 12:49 PM
I'm in, but i do not want to ski Parons-Excelsior route - great chance to get stopped by patrol, I'd rather do Skyward/Lower Cloudspin to Upper/Lower Valley.

You could do that but the distance would be far shorter and thus......

Quite lame!!! :lol: :lol:

Tsavolion
01-30-2007, 03:40 PM

You could do that but the distance would be far shorter and thus......

Quite lame!!! :lol: :lol: :P

Wa
01-30-2007, 04:05 PM
Whata the F-a Chinese Downhill?

AdironRider
03-01-2007, 10:56 AM
Anyone been keeping up with this? I finnally made it back to the face solo and was able to try the challenge again, Im down to 3:47. Lets just say that was scary fast on a board. Anyone else been trying to make the challenge?

Phineas
03-01-2007, 11:55 AM
Im down to 3:47. Lets just say that was scary fast on a board. Anyone else been trying to make the challenge?

next weekday out I'll give it a rip...

Denison
03-08-2007, 10:23 PM
I will time miself on Parons, to Excelsior, to Summit Express, to Broadway, to Boreen tomorrow...

asland
03-09-2007, 11:22 AM
when I was a kid we would get off the lift and get into a tuck:

excelsior to broadway to boreen

get out of said tuck at bottom of mountain.

Never timed but we were flying, often with near death experiences, especially at the entrance of boreen.

Denison
03-11-2007, 06:21 AM
..it was Parons, to Excelsior, to Summit Express, to Broadway, to Brookside and it took me about 5 minutes on Friday. Will try again in 2 weeks.