PDA

View Full Version : Gore 2/2 - 2/4

Harvey44
02-05-2007, 10:21 AM
Gore was great this weekend.

Ski days 11, 12, 13, 14 for me. When I got to our cabin Thursday night, the moon was full and it was really warm so I went out for an xcski. I was on the first Gondi Fri am and cruised down Uncas to head for Straightbrook and over to the darkside. Not sure if I could have gone directly to the darkside from the triple, so I went the long way. It's great having the dark side open. On Friday they opened Lower Steilhang and Lower Darby - it was killer. I hope they never widen any of the trails on that side.

On Saturday I was again on the first Gondi and there was 3" of fresh - Cloud and Headwaters were great as they must have been groomed first overnight and the snow was all on top. Chatiemac had hard bumps filled in with loose fluffy stuff. I hit the SB glades right away - I knew it wasn't getting any better. Doable, but marginal. It got hammered senseless by Sunday PM. I'd stay out a there with any equipment I cared about. I hit Lies as soon as they opened it and survived. By the end of the day it looked like a killing field up there with a ton of traffic.

Rumor - Friday they were just working on the headwall(s) and Saturday and Sunday they were pounding the whole run.

The bottom was fantastic too. I usually end up there after lunch when my legs are teley'd out.

Sunday they were talking about minus 25 wind chills so I "slept in" until 7:45 and did some backcountry in the Siamese. It was a little thin - about like the SB glades before anyone had been through. I packed up and left our cabin at 1pm. I remember driving south last year during the super bowl - it was great - no traffic. But I was still too early so I swung by the mountain snagged a few more runs Lower Darby (it was getting hard!) and then hit the road.

We need either new snow or warmer temps.

As our boy Jimmer says...get out there and get it.

Harv

mattchuck2
02-05-2007, 05:33 PM
Thanks for the report . . .

I also hit it this past weekend . . . even got on the teles for Saturday afternoon and Sunday.

Lies was Epic on both Saturday and Sunday. Saturday was a little crowded, but blown snow combined with the 3 inches of natural was soooo nice to ski on. It quickly bumped up, but that just made it better . . . On Sunday, the headwall hardened up, but all the snow blew into the bottom of the trail. Nice.

Hullaballo was also pretty sweet on Saturday . . . didn't get a chance to hit it on Sunday, but people were saying the Dark Side was skiing well all weekend.