PDA

View Full Version : Now or wait a bit?

Greg
02-05-2007, 12:33 PM
Really want to hit Gore once this season as I've never been. When I go, I want to experience as much of the mountain as possible as it's likely going to be a 3+ hour day trip. Looks like you're doing pretty well right now. Should I think about heading up soon or give it a few more weeks and hope for some more natural?

AdironRider
02-05-2007, 01:01 PM
I was there Friday and Sat and the mountain was skiing awesome. It will only get better with more natural snow.

Harvey44
02-05-2007, 01:24 PM
At least wait until:

Wind chill is above zero.

Rumor is open.

mattchuck2
02-05-2007, 05:26 PM
The mountain is skiing pretty well right now . . .

I'd say Thursday and Friday are going to be sweet . . . Or if you're a weekend skier, this coming weekend should be solid.

In a perfect world, you'd visit right after we get a big dump. We only need about 8-10 inches and the glades should all open up. The base in there is solid, crusted over hardpack - perfect for covering up rocks, but not so good for skiing. If we get a foot and a half, the mountain will be a playground.

SO, I guess it depends . . . If you're just coming up on a recon mission to see what the mountain is like, then by all means, get up here . . . but it you TRULY want to experience all Gore has to offer, wait for the checkmark to appear next to Chatiemac Glades and Twister Glades.

alexcaraco
02-05-2007, 08:32 PM
unless they got some more natural snow since saturday id wait for some more real snow.

jimmer
02-06-2007, 06:41 PM
come on up ,the skiings pretty good right now, just try to come midweek weekends are tough to cope with, unless you like that kind of stuff, its not for me,3hr drive, maybe you should stay for a few days, so get out there and get it.

Lbtchnlgs
02-06-2007, 10:05 PM
If you can deal with the temps id head up there this week, the temps will keep many people away which of course means great conditions everywhere all day. I took a few runs on monday and had every trail to myself on the best snow yet

Greg
02-07-2007, 10:07 AM
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'll probably just sit tight a bit. My plan was possibly for this Friday, but I'm just going to hit Hunter instead (2 hours). Plenty of season left. Again, it'll need to be a day trip for me so I want to be sure it's worth it, although it sounds like it is currently.

Harvey44
02-07-2007, 11:05 AM
I'm no weather expert, but I do know that when it is this cold, the coastal storms are driven south and out to sea. People who know are saying that a moderation towards end of next week may put us back in the game for a dump.

The weather guy at Mad River has a positive outlook:

http://madriverglenweather.blogspot.com/

Harv

dexter
02-07-2007, 06:40 PM
never put off to tomorrow what you can do today

takeahike46er
02-07-2007, 07:48 PM
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'll probably just sit tight a bit. My plan was possibly for this Friday, but I'm just going to hit Hunter instead (2 hours). Plenty of season left. Again, it'll need to be a day trip for me so I want to be sure it's worth it, although it sounds like it is currently.

Hunter over Gore? ouch. Rumor and Lies are worth the drive.

Greg
02-08-2007, 10:39 AM

Yeah yeah yeah. People just love to rag on Hunter. :roll: The place has legit black diamond terrain. Anyone is kidding themselves if they think otherwise.

Denison
02-08-2007, 11:04 AM
Greg,

you may concider weekend trip to both Gore/Whiteface instead of day trip to Gore only. I beleive It's an hour drive and multiday ticket is valid on both. Get a feel of skiing in Adirondacks. Also consider March Snowboard Cup weekend.

Denison/C2H5OH

Greg
02-08-2007, 11:26 AM
Greg,

you may concider weekend trip to both Gore/Whiteface instead of day trip to Gore only. I beleive It's an hour drive and multiday ticket is valid on both. Get a feel of skiing in Adirondacks. Also consider March Snowboard Cup weekend.

Denison/C2H5OH
Probably a good idea. The problem is my allotted overnights/long weekend/extended ski vacations are all accounted for this season. Tough to boogie out of town overnight all that often with a 4 and 1-year old at home. When we all start skiing together as a family, this will certainly change.

jimmer
02-08-2007, 02:24 PM
8)

jimmer
02-08-2007, 02:26 PM
[quote="Denison"]Greg,

Denison/ the black eyed baby with the head wrap and gotee has a great idea,go for it ,do them both

takeahike46er
02-08-2007, 03:12 PM

Yeah yeah yeah. People just love to rag on Hunter. :roll: The place has legit black diamond terrain. Anyone is kidding themselves if they think otherwise.

I never said Hunter did not have legit diamond terrain. There is just no substitute for the Rumor, that's all! :wink:

For the time being you will have to enjoy my avatar.

mattchuck2
02-08-2007, 10:43 PM

46er is right. Hunter has black diamond terrain ("legit" black diamond terrain is an iffy statement . . . I've skied the mountain at its toughest and it can't hold a candle to Gore, Whiteface, Stowe, Sugarbush, Sugarloaf, Jay, MRG, etc.).
It's no Gore.

Come up here and sample the wares . . . then talk to us about expert terrain . . .

Lbtchnlgs
02-08-2007, 10:56 PM

46er is right. Hunter has black diamond terrain ("legit" black diamond terrain is an iffy statement . . . I've skied the mountain at its toughest and it can't hold a candle to Gore, Whiteface, Stowe, Sugarbush, Sugarloaf, Jay, MRG, etc.).
It's no Gore.

Come up here and sample the wares . . . then talk to us about expert terrain . . .

^FIGHTIN' WORDS :twisted:

Harvey44
02-09-2007, 09:10 AM
Ooh this is gettin good.

To me Gore seems steep enough. What's the steepest mountain in NY/VT? Anybody know? (I don't).

Harv

MidnightCarving
02-09-2007, 03:52 PM
well i dont know about overall steepness

but i do know that rumor is right up there in the top 5 steepest trails, and i believe that something at killington is #1...

there was a post on another board about it a while ago

MidnightCarving
02-09-2007, 03:53 PM
to correct my last post, that would be top 5 in the east, if that wasn't obvious already

Greg
03-01-2007, 09:54 AM
Looks like March 16 will be the day I pop my Gore cherry.

Lbtchnlgs
03-01-2007, 11:32 AM

Day trip?

Greg
03-01-2007, 11:47 AM

Day trip?
Yep. :shock:

mattchuck2
03-01-2007, 04:17 PM
Sounds like a good day to me . . . If we get a pretty good (12" or so) dump out of this storm, the trees will be open through mid-late March . . . Then Rumor and the top will be cranking until mid april . . . nice . . .

Greg
03-01-2007, 08:08 PM
A couple AZers and I are probably gonna head up. Anyone gonna be there that day that would like to give us the grand tour? Most of us have never been....

mattchuck2
03-01-2007, 09:38 PM
What day is that, a friday?

I might be there . . . I'll let you know closer to the date . . .

What kind of skiers are we talking about here?

Greg
03-02-2007, 08:40 AM
What kind of skiers are we talking about here?
I would say upper intermediates and better.

mattchuck2
03-02-2007, 01:08 PM
Cool . . . . They should be very pleased at what Gore offers . . .

I'll let you know soon if I'm going to be up that Friday . . .

colonel klink
03-08-2007, 12:14 PM
i think ill go hang myself soon

mattchuck2
03-08-2007, 04:27 PM
I'm not going to be able to make it to show you guys around (I have to work at my real job . . . ugh.) sorry . . .

Maybe someone else can volunteer . . .

If not, and you've never been to the mountain before, I would suggest avoiding taking the trail called "Cloud" to the lower mountain. Use Tannery to the Topridge Triple. It's not that cloud is awful, it's just that you need an assload of speed for it, and you're probably going to have to hike a bit (especially in Spring conditions)

sleestak
03-13-2007, 12:24 PM
Really want to hit Gore once this season as I've never been. When I go, I want to experience as much of the mountain as possible as it's likely going to be a 3+ hour day trip. Looks like you're doing pretty well right now. Should I think about heading up soon or give it a few more weeks and hope for some more natural?

greg - thats pretty dorky--just ski. it better than sitting at your computer and thinking up random ski niche forums.

highpeaksdrifter
03-13-2007, 01:16 PM
Maybe someone else can volunteer . . .

I'm going with Greg and his crew, so I'll be able to show them around OK. I'm kinda disappointed your not going Matt, I was looking forward to finally meeting you and seeing what you're all about.

I think I might have seen you once. A snowsports instructor, with a red bandana, skiing Volkl was coming down Double Barrell. I yelled out Matt from the chair. and dude turned, but kept going. If that was you, you have skills.

mattchuck2
03-13-2007, 03:31 PM
Probably not me . . . I don't have a red bandana, and I don't have Volkl skis . . . I do have skills, though ;-)

Also, I very well might have heard someone from the lift call my name and then stop and look up . . . but I have so many admirers, that kind of thing happens all the time :-D

I'm still working on trying to get up there on Friday . . . A job I was going to be working on looks like it might be delayed because of weather. I might make an appearance after all . . . I'll PM you later in the week if I'm going.

- MC

mattchuck2
03-15-2007, 03:05 PM
Nope . . . not gonna be there . . .

I will be there over the weekend though for some sick pow . .. they're talking 12-18 inches now

Greg
03-16-2007, 09:48 PM
Our timing is perfect... :roll:

http://forums.alpinezone.com/14752-gore-mountain-3-16-2007-a.html

Still had fun. Great to check out the mountain. The place looks like it will be rad with good conditions (like tomorrow?). We were a day late. I'll be back someday. Those liftline and glades look really, really good. Cool place!

mattchuck2
03-20-2007, 03:44 PM
Yeah . . .

I hate people that say "You shoulda been there on . . ." but, you shoulda been there on Saturday/Sunday.

Friday was perhaps the worst day of the season to ski . . . Icy conditions, cold weather, and a crappy drive back home. . . ugh. I wish it was a little nicer so that you could fully have the Gore experience. Oh well, I guess you'll have to come back next year.

Oh, and tell your buddy I hope he feels better.

Greg
03-21-2007, 09:11 AM
Friday was perhaps the worst day of the season to ski . . . Icy conditions, cold weather, and a crappy drive back home. . . ugh. I wish it was a little nicer so that you could fully have the Gore experience. Oh well, I guess you'll have to come back next year. Agreed. Certainly my worst ski day as far as surface conditions go. I almost bagged it, but I really wanted to check the place out, and I had two guys counting on me for a ride. Plus it's fun to ski with other AZers so it made it bearable. Had I been solo, I would have canned it for sure. It was still worth going just to see the mountain and it makes me look forward to checking it out again when the skiing is better. Rumor is legit steep. And again, the liftlines look fantastic and the bits of the glades that we could see look awesome. I'll be back.

JC7727
03-21-2007, 09:47 AM
I skied last friday and I thought the conditions were not bad, no powder but no ice. If that was your worst conditions of the year, I guess you never skied gore in december or january. I also skied on sunday and while the conditions were completely different the skiing was much tougher, for an intermediate anyway.

Greg
03-21-2007, 11:12 AM
I skied last friday and I thought the conditions were not bad, no powder but no ice. If that was your worst conditions of the year, I guess you never skied gore in december or january.

No. In the scheme of things, the skiing wasn't terrible. But I'm sure it was softer and the good stuff was skiable the day before, and many can attest to how the next day was. Bad timing, but still worth checking the place out.

And yeah - those were the worst conditions I've skied this season, but I'm certainly trashing Gore. I'm sure it was pretty rough everywhere that day. But coming off an epic week in the MRV and some good spring bumps at the local hill, it was a bit ugly in comparison. Again, not bad, just fast and hard. That's really not my thing...