PDA

View Full Version : Best Ski for Whiteface

highpeaksdrifter
02-07-2007, 09:27 AM
OK, I know there is no one right answer to this question. There are lots of great skis out there, plus personal preference will dictate choice. That said, if you had to pick one ski to ski WF on a day the whole mountain is open (including the Slides) what ski would you pick and way?

I choose the Nordica Hot Rod Top Fuel. This ski is good in any conditions. It is stiff and fast with great edge grip for groomed hard pack. In the Slides when you bottom out on an ice flow you’ll be thankful for it’s strong feel and edge grip.

At it’s width, 79 mm underfoot, it certainly isn’t made with bump skiing in mind, but I find them quick enough in them. Plus the XBS binding system makes a stiff ski easier to flex.

Heavier then some mind fats they do want to dive a bit in pow, but I found them very competent in pow conditions.

In trees they are great, nimble enough to make the turns where you have to, and will plow through any of the variety of conditions you’ll find in there.

Crud, piles, wet spring snow, the TF plows through this stuff like a hot knife through butter.

This is a close call for me because in a lot of conditions I prefer the Speedmachine Mach 3 Power, but for every type of condition I have to give a slight nod to the Hot Rod Top Fuel.

So don't leave me hangin here with no replys, let's hear your choice.

Phineas
02-07-2007, 09:59 AM
79mm under the foot too much for bumps???

I ski my DP stormriders in bumps and they are 94 under foot!! After skiing last season on the Nordica's I'm thrilled 2B back on the Stocklis!!

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

tjf67
02-07-2007, 10:10 AM
I ski AC4 right now and the are 84 under foot. They are fast, stable with a decent side cut for making turns. Currently that is my ski. I dont know how it handles bumps cause I have not been in them this year. I am assuming it will handle them better than I can.
Trees I have not been in any. :cry:

BTW your skis are 78 under foor I am guessing that was a typo as you are a rep

freeheelwilly
02-07-2007, 10:11 AM
I'm on the Stockli Rotor this year as my everyday ski. Every weekend I like it more and more. But it's a Stockli so you have to get up to speed or you can't bend it. It's not for going slow and when you do try to slow down it really gets heavy and unwieldy. It's only 76 underfoot but 124 in the shovel so it gets up on the powder. My dedicated "powder" ski will continue to be the Dynastar Legend Pro Rider. 186 cm and 97mm at the waist. Stiff as hell. Another one you have to wind up or the consequences are even worse then the Rotor. And don't even think about bumps.

Just sayin'.

Oh, and here's a picture of that creepy dancing baby:

http://www.bitterjug.net/pics/baby.gif

highpeaksdrifter
02-07-2007, 10:23 AM

I ski my DP stormriders in bumps and they are 94 under foot!! After skiing last season on the Nordica's I'm thrilled 2B back on the Stocklis!!

I didn't say too much. The ideal bump ski is skinny, very littke side cut and light, they're useless pretty much anywhere else.

highpeaksdrifter
02-07-2007, 10:26 AM
BTW your skis are 78 under foor I am guessing that was a typo as you are a rep

Yeah, thanks for pointin that out. Dang, the forums most perfect poster got me again. :wink:

highpeaksdrifter
02-07-2007, 10:30 AM
After skiing last season on the Nordica's I'm thrilled 2B back on the Stocklis!!

Yeah, you thought you got a great deal on Top Fuels, but you bought Elimators instead. :lol: :lol:
Thanks for reminding me of that as it always makes me laugh.

"But they looked alot like the Top Fuels" :lol: :lol:

I know you're a big Stocklis fan and that's cool, but tell us why you like them so much. What do they do well?

highpeaksdrifter
02-07-2007, 11:02 AM
TJF I was trying to reply to your post with the below message and your original message deleted somehow. TJF is selling a pair of K2 Recons.

BTW they are for sale. Great ski but i dont need them

I've had alot of luck with Ebay. If you don't want to bother with that the Epicski forum is a good place to sell. PM me your axing price. Folks always axing me about demos and such for sale and there's not much left. If I can help out I'd be glad too.

Jack the Ripper
02-07-2007, 07:21 PM

They're 78 under foot and there's no way a 94 under foot is going to perform very well in the bumps. I'm not saying you can't take them in there but those DP's like a big arc not the tight lines of bumps. :twisted:

DUST BLASTER
02-07-2007, 07:58 PM
:D

DUST BLASTER
02-07-2007, 08:02 PM
Forgot the message in my last post.

Hot Rod Top Fuel is the only Ski you need for Wface.
They are a bit on the heavy side but you get use to them in 2 days.

02-07-2007, 09:08 PM
Forgot the message in my last post.

Hot Rod Top Fuel is the only Ski you need for Wface.
They are a bit on the heavy side but you get use to them in 2 days.

Weight and skis have nothing to do with each other IMO. I've never skied hard all day and said to myself "gee I wish my skis and binding were lighter". Atomic B11. 133tip/ 76mid/ 119 tail. Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee!!!!! Get out of my way HPD :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

ajl50
02-07-2007, 09:15 PM
k2 Apache X. Great value over the crossfires and same dimensions.
Great grip, stable....blah blah blah...not like it matters. Everybody rocks their own style.

Denison
02-08-2007, 10:40 AM
for me "Best Ski for Whiteface" is the ones you got.

I wish I had demoed more skis to have an educated opinion, but for Last 3 years I've been on my Salomon and never tried anything else. So it's Salomon Scream 10 Pilot, 192 sm.

tjf67
02-08-2007, 01:27 PM
for me "Best Ski for Whiteface" is the ones you got.

I wish I had demoed more skis to have an educated opinion, but for Last 3 years I've been on my Salomon and never tried anything else. So it's Salomon Scream 10 Pilot, 192 sm.

I used to ski Salomon. Good ski, blew out all the edges. Still bought more. Then the french showed their colors. F the french, they are the same color as the screams!!

Denison
02-08-2007, 01:55 PM
Then the french showed their colors. F the french, they are the same color as the screams!!

I disagree with you.

tjf67
02-08-2007, 03:10 PM
Then the french showed their colors. F the french, they are the same color as the screams!!

I disagree with you.

What you think Salomons suck?

jimmer
02-08-2007, 07:00 PM
just got myself a new pair of rossi radical/ muti x 118/70/102.cant wait to try these out on your trails at WF, hopefully they will rock on those nice steep trails, ill let you know.

mattchuck2
02-08-2007, 10:48 PM
Yeah, If Whiteface was my home mountain, I'd rock Volkl Racetigers (the SL version), Fischer RX8's, or Head Supershapes.

Then , I'd have a pair of Midfats for the rare occasion that the Slides are open . . .

highpeaksdrifter
02-09-2007, 08:26 AM
just got myself a new pair of rossi radical/ muti x 118/70/102.cant wait to try these out on your trails at WF, hopefully they will rock on those nice steep trails, ill let you know.

I've heard nothing but good things about these skis. I really hoped to demo a pair, but never got the chance.

Are the length stabilizer arms easy to change? Will you keep the alternate pair with you when skiing in case you want to switch?

jimmer
02-09-2007, 06:26 PM

I've heard nothing but good things about these skis. I really hoped to demo a pair, but never got the chance.

Are the length stabilizer arms easy to change? Will you keep the alternate pair with you when skiing in case you want to switch? today was my first day on them{got them last night}the arms, are held in with one screw, kit has a driver for changing, i skied with long arms in back shorter arms up front, and these skiis rock, very very stable at high speed seemed to handel crud real well,very stable on the slick stuff, didnt take them in the bumps yet ,so i dont know how they be bumping. had a blast on them today,allthough there is nothing better than that new ski feel, i think ill like this ski alot. i went from rossi zenith z9s to these, i like this ski a little better. havnt changed the arms yet, but dosnt look to hard to do , maybe ill play with them more tomorrow.

midweeker
02-11-2007, 11:08 AM
I'm on RX8's with AMC 79's for the big drops