Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

History of WF and Marble Mountain.

Does anyone know the history of Marble Mountain and Whiteface? What was the impetus for closing the old hill and moving to Whiteface? What were the original runs that were cut on WF?

You pose some interesting questions 46er. Maybe some WF historian in hear can answer them. I believe the proposed new expansion (Island Pod?) will be incorporating some of the old Marble Mt. trails.

I'd love to see an old map of Marble Mt. For what was I believe to be a small area it had a very high elavation for the NE.
    The Stone Age didn’t end because people ran out of stones.

first off its Tree Island Pod

Quote Originally Posted by highpeaksdrifter
    You pose some interesting questions 46er. Maybe some WF historian in hear can answer them. I believe the proposed new expansion (Island Pod?) will be incorporating some of the old Marble Mt. trails.

I'd love to see an old map of Marble Mt. For what was I believe to be a small area it had a very high elavation for the NE.
    I think I'll post some real info over in the "immature" RSN forum

I outta here!

I want to here the history.

Re: first off its Tree Island Pod

Quote Originally Posted by Phineas

I think I'll post some real info over in the "immature" RSN forum

I outta here!
    Talk about immature. You're bolting a wonderful and informative site, depriving hundreds if not thousands of people your knowledge of whiteface and skiing in general just b/c you can't post stuff like "jackstraw is a so and so" Come on buddy don't be that way.

P.S. I'll just go over and link the RSN post to here anyway.

You can get a sense of the trails by looking here: http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=...83&layer=DRG25

The trail remnants are still visible from the air, especially with the most recent, highest resolution images found here: http://www1.nysgis.state.ny.us/MainMap.cfm

I believe the proposed new expansion (Island Pod?) will be incorporating some of the old Marble Mt. trails.
    The Tree Island Pod will not incorporate Marble Mountain trails. The proposed Lookout Pod gets a bit closer to Marble Mountain, but in the end the old ski area falls outside of the area designated for WF development.

Quote Originally Posted by takeahike46er
    You can get a sense of the trails by looking here: http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=...83&layer=DRG25

The trail remnants are still visible from the air, especially with the most recent, highest resolution images found here: http://www1.nysgis.state.ny.us/MainMap.cfm

I believe the proposed new expansion (Island Pod?) will be incorporating some of the old Marble Mt. trails.
    The Tree Island Pod will not incorporate Marble Mountain trails. The proposed Lookout Pod gets a bit closer to Marble Mountain, but in the end the old ski area falls outside of the area designated for WF development.
    That's pretty cool stuff you have there 46er. I have a serious question, what the heck is a pod? I always thought it was a family of whales.

The area that encompasses a lift and the set of trails descending from that lift. For example, The Summit Pod would be the area defined by the outermost trails descending from that lift.

Quote Originally Posted by takeahike46er
    The area that encompasses a lift and the set of trails descending from that lift. For example, The Summit Pod would be the area defined by the outermost trails descending from that lift.
    Thanks, it all makes sense now.

Quote Originally Posted by tjf67
    I want to here the history.
    i think you should focus on learning present day english before you delve into history