Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Official Valentines Bragging Thead.

Lets hear the stories. Ski stories first, lady stories tomorrow

Mine: Again not at gore but hell its powder.

Greek peak: 2nd in the lot, 4th in line, the first lift was bum so at 9:35 (mtns suppose to open at 9:30) they said alright every go to lift 1. rat race to the lift, arguing fighting, pushing- a pretty good scene. "no friends on a pow day"

Anyway i got bumped back to about 10th chair. Which didn't sit well with me, but i figured there would be enough snow to go around. Pretty much fresh lines for 4 hrs. After that my back quad down by my knee started cramping. tried to take one more run and it was a bad idea, had to be careful so it wouldn't cramp up again, horrible feeling.

Only thing to complain about was the lack of steep grade at that mtn, tough to get a full run of solid turns without running out of momentum.

Had some sweet falls: While skiing the power lines i was cruzing, went off the beaten path and hit unexpected waist deep, rag dolled had a tough time getting out of my hole. You just gotta laugh at all the snow.

After the liftline arguing was over, there was fun to be had by all. I was like a dream hearing out hooting and hollering riding the lifts up without ONE sound of ice/hardpack.

If you weren't able to get out there today you'll be fine tomorrow. This will keep the conditions great for a while, but id would suggest the WOODS.

Hope everyone up at Gore gets home safe this afternoon. Looking forward to your stories.

Not the best pic, its from a cell phone, but you get the point
    Listen to the wind, It'll tell you things

I'd love to rant, and rave about how wonderful it was, but, for me anyway, it wasn't. Too thick, too quick, too much. I was hoping for a nice four to eight inch start to the day with fill in windblown after that, but I walked out the door to twelve to sixteen, and it took me an hour just to get out of the driveway.

Had to drop the pack at Saddle on first gondi, and, tuck or no, had a five minute trek across the flat with wind creating lake chop, six inch waves up the flat off upper showcase from winds coming up the mountain.

Once you got going it was fine if you had 120mm under foot, but my 78 kept diving, and then the leg crank to keep it together from an over the tips plant. One of the rare times I wished I had a snowboard.

Anyway, I could go on, but for those of you who didn't make it, don't fret.

It'll be way sweet, and a much needed addition to the base, but as a ski experience I could have done without. Especially the four, and a half hour ride back to Capital land.

Quote Originally Posted by NPN
    I'd love to rant, and rave about how wonderful it was, but, for me anyway, it wasn't. Too thick, too quick, too much. I was hoping for a nice four to eight inch start to the day with fill in windblown after that, but I walked out the door to twelve to sixteen, and it took me an hour just to get out of the driveway.

Had to drop the pack at Saddle on first gondi, and, tuck or no, had a five minute trek across the flat with wind creating lake chop, six inch waves up the flat off upper showcase from winds coming up the mountain.

Once you got going it was fine if you had 120mm under foot, but my 78 kept diving, and then the leg crank to keep it together from an over the tips plant. One of the rare times I wished I had a snowboard.

It'll be way sweet, and a much needed addition to the base, but as a ski experience I could have done without. Especially the four, and a half hour ride back to Capital land.
    How can you complain about too much powder??? That's not right.
    Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack the Ripper
    Quote Originally Posted by NPN

How can you complain about too much powder??? That's not right.
    Listen, no one more than me would like to have reported this differently, but that's how it was. And I was not alone; everyone I saw, and spoke to on the mountain was panting, sore, and bummin'. I'm not talkin' abouit the beaters, these were local hardcore experts ( but, remember, we're talking Gore now ).

Had I only brought the Beast 92's it might have been a whole different story, but I didn't want to jinx the storm as I headed up to the ski house last night.

NP,

From what you're saying it wasn't powder. Everything that falls from the sky isn't powder. With ALB reporting some mixed precip, it was probably pretty dense. Appreciate the honest report, thanks man.

Harv

Well at Whiteface I can guarantee you it was pure cold smoke. Felt like it was heavier on the lift, but oh so light under my board today.

NPN, where trails did you ski? The ski change probably would have made a big difference. I need a bigger, wider board im old and fat now, it got hard to stay on top at times (19yrsold)

There were times when it caught you but most of the time it was sugar. It got harder and harder to see as the day went on. I did not get into the woods but it was way deep off the edge of the trail. Definately dense stuff, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Lbtchnlgs
    NPN, where trails did you ski? The ski change probably would have made a big difference. I need a bigger, wider board im old and fat now, it got hard to stay on top at times (19yrsold)
    Now, now, don't call yourself old, and fat; let someone else do that for you before you face the music for real.

I started out with a Ruby into U. S.case to Sunway, followed by an Uncas, followed by a Hawkeye, followed by a Rumor, followed by a Topridge, followed by a repeat of my start to the day, followed by a White Hawk IPA, followed by another White Hawk IPA, followed by..... well, let's just say after four, and a half hours from Pleasant Valley Road to Capital land a few more trails were covered.

how was the crowd?