Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Blazer's Bluff

Headwall didnt look very good at all today so I let her pass by. Had a nice sheen even in flat light so I decided against it.

Quote Originally Posted by highpeaksdrifter
    Quote Originally Posted by ajl50
    Nice...is there an uphill at the end of the trail where it connects back in?
    Was it worth it?
    The up hill comes before the reconnect to the trail. We skied right up it and out.

I enjoyed it, so it was well worth it to me.
    All about being at the right place at the right time.
    Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love.

Quote Originally Posted by NPN
    Quote Originally Posted by ComeBackMudPuddles
    Given the strict mileage limit on Whiteface terrain imposed by the NYS constitution,
    Would you explain this a little more?

The NYS constitution limits the miles of terrain at Whiteface to 25 miles, which limit will be reached with the proposed expansion. My understanding is that the state constitution would have to be amended to allow more terrain at Whiteface beyond the 25 mile limit. I don't know what it takes to do such an amendment, but if it's anything like amending the U.S. Constitution, it won't be easy.

Therefore, my initial reaction was that cutting Blazer's Bluff was a bit wasteful. I'll know better when I ski it!

Given the strict mileage limit on Whiteface terrain imposed by the NYS constitution,

The NYS constitution limits the miles of terrain at Whiteface to 25 miles, which limit will be reached with the proposed expansion. My understanding is that the state constitution would have to be amended to allow more terrain at Whiteface beyond the 25 mile limit. I don't know what it takes to do such an amendment, but if it's anything like amending the U.S. Constitution, it won't be easy.

Therefore, my initial reaction was that cutting Blazer's Bluff was a bit wasteful. I'll know better when I ski it!
    i believe it takes two legislative sessions in order to ammend

Quote Originally Posted by Tsavolion

I think it's gotta go out to the voters as a referendum too. Just sayin'.

Therefore, my initial reaction was that cutting Blazer's Bluff was a bit wasteful.
    Ask a dozen different people and you'll probably get a dozen different answers as to which quarter mile on the mountain would be best put toward the 25 mile limit. I'm ok with management's decision on Blazers Bluff. Not only is it an attractive trail for experts (nice drop/headwall, relatively narrow, natural ungroomed snow), the fact that it looks like the natural lay of the land allowed it to be cut with less effort than other trails would require is a factor I'm sure was considered.

Hey, opening a real trail like Blazer's Bluff is a heck of a lot better than making another 100 foot cut through from trail A to trail B, slapping a name on it, and pretending it's a trail, ala Killington et. al. Not that Whiteface is completely immune to such trail count games, but I'd rather have them add something like Blazer's Bluff than another switchback or crossover.

Quote Originally Posted by freeheelwilly
    i wonder what % of New yorkers care about Whiteface and 25 mile limit...

Quote Originally Posted by freeheelwilly
    Quote Originally Posted by Tsavolion

I think it does to. How crazy is that. Could you imagine people out on LI getting this question in the booth. The whole thing needs to change. Whiteface should be taken out of the park and be its own entity with its own rules.

i have a solution

lower the milage count by making Upper Skyward and U. Cloudspin as one trail. Cut the trees and cal it Upper SkySpin

Quote Originally Posted by Denison
    i have a solution

lower the milage count by making Upper Skyward and U. Cloudspin as one trail. Cut the trees and cal it Upper SkySpin
    WIE! (Worst Idea Ever!)