Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: slides yet????

slides yet????

I'm in Hilton Head for the week, have the slides opened yet.

I know folks have been sking them. I watched one from summit go down slide one last week. If there is avy danger, which I can not believe there is enough to be that concerned. They should allow those with the avy gear to access the slides from the ski area. The patrolers have been skiing it. I've dug a fair amount of pits the last few weeks in the bc and no one can convince me there is that much unstabilty there.

SlideGoons in full effect

Some of the " avi professionals" on patrol are lockin them up. the hardcore dudes are even camping out at the entrance to the outlaw trail to ambush the poachers...

first weekend of March they may have been chest deep down #3 - total whiteroom - but I'm just guessing
    SnowEarlySpringLate

ghost -

if one of the slides were to slide what would be the end result? meaning, could it spill into a trail on the resort and take some joey out? if not, why is WF so concerned about people riding the slides?

at cannon or wildcat we can go wherever we want whenever we want to. its a grey rule for sure but the patrol isn't all uptight.

Patrol at whiteface act like little babies compared to the slides. People have been skiing them for weeks. The worst part is, the slides exist due to mudslides and whatnot, not avalanches. I have yet to find a single person who can confirm avalanche activity in there.

if one of the slides were to slide what would be the end result? meaning, could it spill into a trail on the resort and take some joey out? if not, why is WF so concerned about people riding the slides?
    an avy would not make it in the the ski area.

rumor has it, the v.i.p.'s are getting the super freshies up there. Most tracks are inside slide one where no one can see.

Some of the " avi professionals" on patrol are lockin them up. the hardcore dudes are even camping out at the entrance to the outlaw trail to ambush the poachers...
    self proclaimed "avi pros"? cause unless we have people with level 3 avi training and a few years of actual avy/fracture analysis writting snow pack analysis and forcasts, I would not be calling them pro's. I have yet to see a naturaly triggered slide in the bc. Kinda makes me think whiteface is full of it when on topic of the slides.

Oh, and there is nothing wrong with hiking to access the slides, so long as it was not done via lift/ski trail access. Other words if caught on the slides "I do not have a pass" "I hiked up" It is state land with hiking trails up it.

My name is Phineas!

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw
    ghost -

at cannon or wildcat we can go wherever we want whenever we want to. its a grey rule for sure but the patrol isn't all uptight.
    Slide area is completely separate from resort trails so no potential for a slide to affect anything on mtn.

The real issue is the existence of boilerplate ice across the top of slide 1 and slide 2. These areas are regularly exposed to high winds and result in extreme ice that is almost, well impossible, to set an edge in. Coming in from resort, skiers must traverse these sections to get over to Slide 3 and 4 which hold more snow due to fact wind does not damage as much.. Still ice on ledges throughout 3 and 4.

The first pitch on slide 1 abruptly ends at the "water falls” which are a series of rock ledges that freeze solid blue. Some have tumbled to their death on the blue ice. In the spring when the ice turns aqua green, they are safer to ski.

A public authority manages whiteface, staffs are state employees so I image their might be a higher degree of accountability from the standpoint for litigation… So when it comes right down to it, it’s the people who sue ski mtns and their lawyers who are ultimately to blame for the current slide policy…

that and the deadly blue ice!
    SnowEarlySpringLate

Re: My name is Phineas!

Quote Originally Posted by Phineas
    Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw
    ghost -

Slide area is completely separate from resort trails so no potential for a slide to affect anything on mtn.

The real issue is the existence of boilerplate ice across the top of slide 1 and slide 2. These areas are regularly exposed to high winds and result in extreme ice that is almost, well impossible, to set an edge in. Coming in from resort, skiers must traverse these sections to get over to Slide 3 and 4 which hold more snow due to fact wind does not damage as much.. Still ice on ledges throughout 3 and 4.

The first pitch on slide 1 abruptly ends at the "water falls” which are a series of rock ledges that freeze solid blue. Some have tumbled to their death on the blue ice. In the spring when the ice turns aqua green, they are safer to ski.

A public authority manages whiteface, staffs are state employees so I image their might be a higher degree of accountability from the standpoint for litigation… So when it comes right down to it, it’s the people who sue ski mtns and their lawyers who are ultimately to blame for the current slide policy…

that and the deadly blue ice!
    ahh, that makes sense. i can see their point based on your description of the entrance. too bad they couldn't come up w/ some sort of sign out policy whereas you sign your life away. although, not being a lawyer (fhw!) im not sure any of that holds up in court.

people suing ski areas should be shot!

Whitefaces policies regarding the slides are just crap. Not dising anyone here but, there is more danger in the trama park than on the slides. I remember the days of losing your pass for jumping, that's right jumping off the snow. This was pre snowboard whiteface, yes there was a time when snowboards were not allowed at whiteface. Then a few years later they are building jumps for people.

Control the out of bounds the same way they do it out west, gates with warnings recomending the right gear. I bet out west more people get hurt inbound per user than those that accesses the bc from the ski area.

true that, but I put more money down that there is plenty of snow under and around the falls at this time to safetly navigate.

It is like when Stowe posts avy danger warnings. I think it is less the actual danger of a slide happening and more of a dramatic phrase that makes people think it is one bad ass mountain and draws people in.
    Listen to the wind, It'll tell you things

Quote Originally Posted by frashdog
    more danger in the trama park than on the slides.

totally agree! the parks are insane - landing on manAmade hardpack does not ensure a long and happy riding career

Control the out of bounds the same way they do it out west, gates with warnings recomending the right gear. I bet out west more people get hurt inbound per user than those that accesses the bc from the ski area.

I concur but I betcha WF gets more day tripper types w/ more brawn than brains than western resorts which could result in more accidents - on Sunday w/ the tightening up over night after saturday's thaw - patrol ran 15 sleds!!

true that, but I put more money down that there is plenty of snow under and around the falls at this time to safetly navigate.
    tight right on one is always loaded - but dont U think the margin for error is pretty decent for the six day a year skier that U know will venture in w/ a more lose policy??
    SnowEarlySpringLate