Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: helmets

helmets

i noticed a lot of you guys aren't sporting helmets over there...what gives?

rebel

I started wearing a helment this season. I liked it. warmer and getting whacked w/ low hanging branches doesnt hurt. also less goggle fog issues.

dropped the helment for the spring, sunny days though. needed to work on my facial tan! chicks dig tan man!
    SnowEarlySpringLate

Re: rebel

Quote Originally Posted by Phineas
    I started wearing a helment this season. I liked it. warmer and getting whacked w/ low hanging branches doesnt hurt. also less goggle fog issues.

dropped the helment for the spring, sunny days though. needed to work on my facial tan! chicks dig tan man!
    i took a branch off the nogin at jay this yr. id say the helmet has saved me from some hurt about 3-4 times in 9 yrs now. they do get hot, but i promised myself to always wear one for my kids sake.

They definately save much trouble, I shattered one in '05 while running NASTAR, Dr. said it saved my life, for sure! Been through THREE in the 12 yrs. or so that I have been wearing one. Wouldn't get caught dead without one!! (pun intended) They certainly do get warm on bluebird spring days though.

I was skiing pow on top of ice moguals about a month ago on U. Cloudspin. I hit one under the snow and the impact spun me around backwards and my head snapped back. Bang, back of head on jagged ice. It still stunned me, but I got up and skied away. This was my first year full time in a helmet.

I almost went baseball cap for the Slides on that beautiful sunny weekend you are referring to, but I kept the helmet on cause I was thinking about the Cloudspin fall.
    The Stone Age didn’t end because people ran out of stones.

I started wearing a couple of years ago to set an example for the kids. Hard to tell them to if I wasn't. I actually like it now, keeps you warm and you forget you have it. Haven't needed it's protection yet, but I'm glad it's there.

Like Phin...I went helmetless for some of the spring days, on easier trails. I did don the pack so I could wear the helmet in the Slides, on Empire, stuff like that, but otherwise I stowed it and it was hat and sunglasses in April.

i wear a helmet, but didnt on those super warm days near the end. toasty warm and i can plug my ipod into it. helmets are good with ipods because the music isnt so loud and you can still hear people around you---if you want to that is. the day i fell in the half pipe i wasnt wearing it, but i should have. saved me from getting stabbed by a tree branch in the glades though a couple of times.

Quote Originally Posted by highpeaksdrifter
    I was skiing pow on top of ice moguals about a month ago on U. Cloudspin. I hit one under the snow and the impact spun me around backwards and my head snapped back. Bang, back of head on jagged ice. It still stunned me, but I got up and skied away. This was my first year full time in a helmet.

I almost went baseball cap for the Slides on that beautiful sunny weekend you are referring to, but I kept the helmet on cause I was thinking about the Cloudspin fall.
    I remember that cloudspin fall - you seemed pretty wigged out. Cloudspin was nasty that day. The next day was Easter. It hammered up there all night and all day. Harold and I had it to ourselves. What a difference a day made - it was awesome knee deep fluff and just kept getting better!

I want to go skiing.

Quote Originally Posted by freeheelwilly
    Quote Originally Posted by highpeaksdrifter

I remember that cloudspin fall - you seemed pretty wigged out. Cloudspin was nasty that day. The next day was Easter. It hammered up there all night and all day. Harold and I had it to ourselves. What a difference a day made - it was awesome knee deep fluff and just kept getting better!

I want to go skiing.
    then lets get some dry suits and go this weekend! there are a few crazies on lake flower already. dry suits and fleece too.

I have a drysuit and don't think I wasn't thinkin about it. I'm more worried about debris in the water this time of year.