Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Glades

New Glades

When you look at the proposed terrain on the trail map the new glades are skiers left of the intermediate trail. When you go into the glades it appears that you have to come back out on the same intermediate trail you entered from. Is that right?
    The Stone Age didn’t end because people ran out of stones.

Yep

thats right, 4sure, right on bro, yep per.
    SnowEarlySpringLate

nope, no way, notta, un uaa.

Re: New Glades

Quote Originally Posted by highpeaksdrifter
    When you look at the proposed terrain on the trail map the new glades are skiers left of the intermediate trail. When you go into the glades it appears that you have to come back out on the same intermediate trail you entered from. Is that right?

Yes, that's the way I read it.

I've never hiked through the area, so I can't be sure, but it seems to me from the topo that each glade run will be pretty limited in vertical and quite short before one has to traverse a long way back to the right to re-join the intermediate trail. If that's the case, I'm not confident that the glades will be all that.

It doesn't seem to me that WF totally "gets it" with glades. They shouldn't just be fit between existing trails on the mountain (or made to adapt to a proposed "cruiser" trail). The best glades I've skied follow the fall line like a real trail, but instead of a clear cut, the trees (not just branches and underbrush) are selectively thinned.

We'll see what happens with Lookout Mt. I don't want to be a Negative Nancy with this. I'm still really psyched to ski the new terrain and picnic at the Porcupine.

Re: New Glades

Quote Originally Posted by ComeBackMudPuddles

one has to traverse a long way back to the right to re-join the intermediate trail. .
    That's what I was thinking. Maybe it just looks that way on the trail map and the reality will be different.

but it seems to me from the topo that each glade run will be pretty limited in vertical and quite short before one has to traverse a long way back to the right to re-join the intermediate trail

Who are you? the same type post every string. Have you skied the face this year? did you look up at what they are glading?

Quote Originally Posted by tjf67
    Who are you? the same type post every string. Have you skied the face this year? did you look up at what they are glading?
    Relax, guy, didn't mean to offend you! The Little Whiteface glades are OK, I'm just of the opinion that they could have been better, and the proposed glades don't seem to be a step in the right direction.

But, seeing as Whiteface hasn't started cutting trails yet on Lookout Mountain, the Lookout Mountain glades aren't visible from any of the current terrain and WF didn't cut any new glades on Little Whiteface for the 06/07 season, I'm not sure what you're talking about.

Relax, guy, didn't mean to offend you! The Little Whiteface glades are OK, I'm just of the opinion that they could have been better, and the proposed glades don't seem to be a step in the right direction.

But, seeing as Whiteface hasn't started cutting trails yet on Lookout Mountain, the Lookout Mountain glades aren't visible from any of the current terrain and WF didn't cut any new glades on Little Whiteface for the 06/07 season, I'm not sure what you're talking about.
    You did not affend me your posts just annoy me. Have you looked a t the map and then look up at the hill where they are going to cut. That is waht I am referring to.

You did not affend me your posts just annoy me. Have you looked a t the map and then look up at the hill where they are going to cut. That is waht I am referring to.
    That's where I get confused. It's my understanding the blue trail is going to run across the ridge. On the map it looks like the glades drop off skier's left side of the ridge. So where can you stand at WF and see where the glades will be? I'm trying to invision it but can't.

I dont feel like going back and looking at the maps to point you in the right direction. When you go up lift six. Look over to the right where the expansion is going to be. That pitch that you are looking at is going to be glades. I forget the amount in acres of gladin(78?) but it is a lot.
    That's where I get confused. It's my understanding the blue trail is going to run across the ridge. On the map it looks like the glades drop off skier's left side of the ridge. So where can you stand at WF and see where the glades will be? I'm trying to invision it but can't.