Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Glades

Quote Originally Posted by highpeaksdrifter
    That's where I get confused. It's my understanding the blue trail is going to run across the ridge. On the map it looks like the glades drop off skier's left side of the ridge. So where can you stand at WF and see where the glades will be? I'm trying to invision it but can't.

This is what I tried to explain in one of my earlier "annoying" posts. You can see the terrain from across the valley/Wilmington (with binoculars), but there is no way to see the proposed gladed terrain from any current Whiteface trail. The way I understand it, the lift will go up one ridge where the two expert trails will be. To the right of this ridge is a bowl that the intermediate trail will skirt before dropping over the side of the NEXT ridge. It is this next ridge where we will find the glades.

Now, to clarify some of my previous posts, since some people (tjf67) aren't bothering to look up the topo map, I've roughly sketched the intermediate trail and glades below. The gladed terrain is represented by the "I"s and the intermediate trail is represented by the "/"s (no, I'm not an artist). If you want to ski the longest stretch of vert in the glades, you're going to have a long traverse back at the bottom of the glades to get back to the intermediate trail and the rest of the mountain. If you want less of an annoying traverse, you'll have less vertical in the glades to ski. Alternatively, I guess you could ski the double fall line along the intermediate trail. To me, this isn't an ideal layout. But, it appears that some others like it (I'm talking about you, tjf67). If I'm wrong about this, I'd be the first to admit it and be happy about it.

............/I
    ......../IIII
    ..../ IIIIII
    /IIIIIIIIII

[quote="tjf67I dont feel like going back and looking at the maps to point you in the right direction. When you go up lift six. Look over to the right where the expansion is going to be. That pitch that you are looking at is going to be glades. I forget the amount in acres of gladin(78?) but it is a lot.
    [/quote]

You're 100% wrong. That pitch is where the lift line and two expert trails will be. The glades (52 acres, not 7 will be on the backside of the next ridge.

[quote=ComeBackMudPuddles]
    Quote Originally Posted by "tjf67I dont feel like going back and looking at the maps to point you in the right direction. When you go up lift six. Look over to the right where the expansion is going to be. That pitch that you are looking at is going to be glades. I forget the amount in acres of gladin(78?) but it is a lot.
    [/quote

You're 100% wrong. That pitch is where the lift line and two expert trails will be. The glades (52 acres, not 7 will be on the backside of the next ridge.
    I went to the UMP and you are correct and I am wrong. You are still annoying.

[quote=tjf67]
    Quote Originally Posted by ComeBackMudPuddles
    Quote Originally Posted by "tjf67I dont feel like going back and looking at the maps to point you in the right direction. When you go up lift six. Look over to the right where the expansion is going to be. That pitch that you are looking at is going to be glades. I forget the amount in acres of gladin(78?) but it is a lot.
    [/quote

With 52 acres of glading how can you say it will be short. Whiteface currently has 225 acres. I just dont get your logic. It looks like a lot of skiing to me

Quote Originally Posted by tjf67
    Thanks, tjf67. Good to see you mastering the information superhighway. Not to gloat or anything, but nothing's more annoying than people who talk out of their a** with authority.

Quote Originally Posted by tjf67
    With 52 acres of glading how can you say it will be short. Whiteface currently has 225 acres. I just dont get your logic. It looks like a lot of skiing to me
    Look at the trail design and my (very, very bad) approximation of it a couple posts back. The glade seems to be very wide but not very long. I'm in no way saying it's going to suck. To the contrary, I'm very psyched to ski it. But, imagine how kick-a** a glade we'd have if they cut one down the ridge where the two expert trails will be. One long glade that would ski like the glades at Steamboat. That'd be really awesome.

Anyway, sorry for the negative tone. I looked back at some of the posts and saw how some might seem to be a little pissy.

Quote Originally Posted by ComeBackMudPuddles
    You can see the terrain from across the valley/Wilmington (with binoculars), but there is no way to see the proposed gladed terrain from any current Whiteface trail.
    While it is not quite the same as viewing up close, the picture below shows the forest composition of the entire mountain. Note the hardwood forest extending up from easy acres. The glades are to be situated in the uppermost part of this forest, directly east of the tollroad and the slides.

At least from this perspective I can understand why they decided to situate the glade there. It looks wide open compared to the rest of the tree-choked mountain. With the glades taking up the area that they do, there will be a ton of lines to ski, even if they are short on vert.

This thread is a perfect example of how this board cant seem to handle any form of Whiteface criticism. Glades will be nice, but they will also lack continuous vertical. This is a legitimate concern. Lets not forget that criticism often makes products better......

actuallly

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider
    This thread is a perfect example of how this board cant seem to handle any form of Whiteface criticism. Glades will be nice, but they will also lack continuous vertical. This is a legitimate concern. Lets not forget that criticism often makes products better......
    this response is an example of spoutting off w/ very little specfic knowledge on the subject at hand! I betcha there is five times more vert than U can handle in them new glades little ronnyrider...

As far as glades inbetween the expert trails - they face easternly in2 the sun and would melt - the planned glades face northernly and continously drop in vert just like the intermediate trail! rippin aganist the fallline is gonna offer alot of funky session opportunities.

I'm calling ronnyrider out for a ski off!! Step up or shut up!!!!!
    SnowEarlySpringLate

Its on bud. 08-09 when Im back in the ADK and the expansion is up, well do laps all day. First one I lead you follow, vice versa, and so on till somene cant hack it, pussies out, or by judges ruling is deemed unworthy. All terrain is open for one to challenge the other. To the winner goes free beers and pride.

I do agree with you that if the glades are on the other side of the ridge they will melt out very quickly. That ridge basks in the sun all day long. I personally wish they would open up the woods between Parons and Cloud, but alas some bird will prevent that from happening