Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Glades

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider
    Its on bud. 08-09 when Im back in the ADK and the expansion is up, well do laps all day. First one I lead you follow, vice versa, and so on till somene cant hack it, pussies out, or by judges ruling is deemed unworthy. All terrain is open for one to challenge the other. To the winner goes free beers and pride.

I do agree with you that if the glades are on the other side of the ridge they will melt out very quickly. That ridge basks in the sun all day long. I personally wish they would open up the woods between Parons and Cloud, but alas some bird will prevent that from happening
    looser has to loick the other ones balls. HOMOS

Quote Originally Posted by takeahike46er
    Quote Originally Posted by ComeBackMudPuddles
    You can see the terrain from across the valley/Wilmington (with binoculars), but there is no way to see the proposed gladed terrain from any current Whiteface trail.
    While it is not quite the same as viewing up close, the picture below shows the forest composition of the entire mountain. Note the hardwood forest extending up from easy acres. The glades are to be situated in the uppermost part of this forest, directly east of the tollroad and the slides.

At least from this perspective I can understand why they decided to situate the glade there. It looks wide open compared to the rest of the tree-choked mountain. With the glades taking up the area that they do, there will be a ton of lines to ski, even if they are short on vert.

Great post. That picture really clears things up. Hardwood glades are the best, so I'm extra-psyched now.

Quote Originally Posted by tjf67
    Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider
    Its on bud. 08-09 when Im back in the ADK and the expansion is up, well do laps all day. First one I lead you follow, vice versa, and so on till somene cant hack it, pussies out, or by judges ruling is deemed unworthy. All terrain is open for one to challenge the other. To the winner goes free beers and pride.

I do agree with you that if the glades are on the other side of the ridge they will melt out very quickly. That ridge basks in the sun all day long. I personally wish they would open up the woods between Parons and Cloud, but alas some bird will prevent that from happening
    looser has to loick the other ones balls. HOMOS

For all those that complain that "big brother" edits too many posts, note that this one has been on the board for over three days now....

Re: actuallly

Quote Originally Posted by Phineas
    As far as glades inbetween the expert trails - they face easternly in2 the sun and would melt - the planned glades face northernly and continously drop in vert just like the intermediate trail! rippin aganist the fallline is gonna offer alot of funky session opportunities.

Didn't think of that. Good point. I think you're right that natural snow trails are a no-go on that slope. Wonder how the expert trails will handle baking in the sun.

Re: actuallly

Didn't think of that. Good point. I think you're right that natural snow trails are a no-go on that slope. Wonder how the expert trails will handle baking in the sun.
    The higher elevation and width of those trails will help somewhat as will the fact WF has 250 new guns purchased and ready for installation! Bury 'em early and often in ADK manAmade!
    SnowEarlySpringLate

I think this picture is a better indication of how much vert, acreage are contained in the new gladed sections. i expect a full retraction from ronnyrider.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsavolion
    I think this picture is a better indication of how much vert, acreage are contained in the new gladed sections. i expect a full retraction from ronnyrider.

Thats a lot of woods to ski in. But oh my gosh there is going to be a double fall line. Somone will have to teach me how to ski that. And if they did this and that is could have been much better. I applaud all the people that have got the project this far. LETS GETTER DONE

Pretty awesome image, thanks. Really clears things up, and I'm psyched to see how much snow that section of the mountain gets and how open the trees are.

I don't think this changes your basic point (that there will be a lot of gladed terrain), but, when looking at Figure F-2 of the Unit Master Plan (link below), it looks like the gladed terrain only extends to a bit below your label of "Glade Area."

http://www.whiteface.com/newsite/wf_ump.pdf

CEA Mitigation

Pretty awesome image, thanks. Really clears things up, and I'm psyched to see how much snow that section of the mountain gets and how open the trees are.

I don't think this changes your basic point (that there will be a lot of gladed terrain), but, when looking at Figure F-2 of the Unit Master Plan (link below), it looks like the gladed terrain only extends to a bit below your label of "Glade Area."

http://www.whiteface.com/newsite/wf_ump.pdf
    ORDA lowered the elevation where the glades start to avoid thrush habaitat and it works better for glades as well.
    SnowEarlySpringLate

I thought it was supposed to be four expert trails, and one intermediate; am I missing something here?