Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

ORDA Update: Lookout Mountain

Lookout Mountain at Whiteface, a new development set to open for the 2008-09 winter season, is now underway. Whiteface staff captured the early stages of trail-cutting Monday from the bottom of the new intermediate trail above Kids Kampus. In addition, three expert runs will be included in the build-out. All tolled, approximately 6.5 miles of additional terrain will be added at Lookout Mountain bringing the Whiteface total to 24.5 miles. Whiteface is limited to 25 miles of skiing and riding.

Lookout Mountain is currently a construction zone. Therefore, hiking and biking the trails is prohibited for your safety.

ORDA Photo

Some Lookout Mountain facts:

Chair Lift Elevation:
    Base: 2,400 feet

Summit: 4,000 feet

Lift Stats:
    Fixed Grip Triple Chair

Uphill capacity: 1,700 skiers per hour

Travels 500 feet per minute

Vertical Rise: 1,600 feet

Northeast of the Whiteface Summit or skier’s left of The Slides

Reclaiming the old Cloudsplitter Trail that was part of Whiteface in the 1950’s

4. Miles/Acreage:

**18 Current miles at Whiteface / Maximum allowable mileage is 25

3.73 additional miles / 32.3 acres will be added in the new Lookout Mountain development

63.5 Acres of Glades in the new Lookout Mountain development

6.45 miles of total trails (including Lookout Mountain) have been approved in the new Unit Management Plan

This project, when completed, will bring Whiteface to approximately 24.5 miles of trails.

5. Trails: New trails when complete

1 Intermediate trail -- 2.0 miles of newly cut trails + .5 existing trail = a total of 2.5 miles to the base

3 Expert Trails – 2.0 miles of new
    Greg

Thanks for passing along the info Greg. I was going to post about the trail cutting but you beat me to it! There are a couple of photos posted on RSN too:

http://rsn.com/cams/placid/cam_welcome.html?bc=H^CI

Exciting times ahead...

That'll be a long hike next year (and probably a stealth hike), but it'll be worth it.

"The first look at the newest expert trail"

Amazing how fast it's all getting done. Great pics.
    The Stone Age didn’t end because people ran out of stones.

Another shot from the website-- probably around the base of the intermediate trail.

It's more than a little embarrassing, having spent the better part of the last elevin winters up there, not to be able to get any bearing on what I'm looking at in these pictures.

A trail being referred to as "Cloudsplitter". I hope the entire run isn't this wide. Looks like it has good pitch.

I went over to Kid's Campus yesterday. You can see a little of the Intermediate trail from there.
    The Stone Age didn’t end because people ran out of stones.

These Lookout Mt. shots are fantastic! Please keep 'em coming....