Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Based on what I read, the trees are turned into mulch on-site. None of the lumber is allowed to be shipped elsewhere (probably due to park regulations).

Quote Originally Posted by takeahike46er
    Based on what I read, the trees are turned into mulch on-site. None of the lumber is allowed to be shipped elsewhere (probably due to park regulations).
    http://goremountain.com/mountain/photos.cfm

Okay, so that's what's all over the ground in this shot from Burnt Ridge?

I still don't know how they got that trail so stump free; it looks like a parking lot.

Quote Originally Posted by NPN
    Quote Originally Posted by takeahike46er
    http://goremountain.com/mountain/photos.cfm

Okay, so that's what's all over the ground in this shot from Burnt Ridge?

I still don't know how they got that trail so stump free; it looks like a parking lot.
    http://rsn.com/cams/placid/full_size...Section=RESORT

Compared to say this shot from LM I just saw on RSN.

Maybe I'm missing something, but, with any amount of skiiable base, are a couple of inches of stump really going to make any difference, or is this just a step before this trail looks like that shot from Gore?

ORDA Update

Got this from ORDA today:

Work crews at Whiteface are making great progress with the new expert trail on Lookout Mountain. This expert run, dropping 1,600 vertical feet, begins below the Whiteface Veterans Memorial Highway and terminates on Easy Street at the base of a new triple chair. A second trail, for intermediates, is also being cut and will measure two miles and 2,200 vertical feet. Both are slated to open December 2008.
    Greg

That shot really puts the trail in perspective. It looks like one mean rollercoaster. Couldn't be happier.

Thanks Greg.

Thanks Greg! Looks great. I guess the second and third expert runs will be cut next year?

Quote Originally Posted by ComeBackMudPuddles
    Thanks Greg! Looks great. I guess the second and third expert runs will be cut next year?
    The last I heard they where going to keep working on trails as long as the weather allows.
    The Stone Age didn’t end because people ran out of stones.

From a recent WF press release:

"Looking beyond 2007-08, Whiteface is currently moving into its next frontier, that being Lookout Mountain. Located to the northeast of The Slides, Lookout Mountain will open in December 2008 with a 1,600 vertical foot expert run, a 2,200 vertical foot intermediate trail, a new triple chair starting just below the first pitch on Easy Street, snowmaking and another 55 acres of glades. This will increase the skiable terrain from 18 miles to 21.7 miles. The state-mandated ceiling at Whiteface is 25 miles."

I wonder why the two other trails won't be up and running for the '08-'09 season. Something to do with the Bicknell Thrush? Spreading the joy of the expansion over two seasons? Maybe since they weren't able, for some reason, to cut all of the trails this year, they will cut the others next summer and the new trails will then need about a year of prep time before they can be skied?